PB Revolver Licence

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

PB Revolver Licence

Post by Lawman » Mon May 28, 2007 10:07 pm

My uncle possess a .38 bore revolver of his deceased father who was a police officer. My uncle is a Deputy Superintendent of Police. He is permitted to use the revolver in duty in his official capacity. He applied for licence to possess the revolver personally as family heirloom. The DM granted his permission and issued him a licence of a .38 bore revolver few years ago. But He did not endorse the weapon in the said licence and the period for do the same was expired. After a long time when he applied to endorse the revolver, the officials of DM office refused to do that and told him that they cannot endorse a PB revolver now though there is a licence of .38 bore revolver. Now he possess the revolver in his official capacity, he has a licence of a .38 bore revolver but due to non-endorsement of the weapon in time he is facing difficulties. Any suggestion ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: PB Revolver Licence

Post by jonahpach » Tue May 29, 2007 8:03 am

Looks like a bad case of 'Babudomitis' this can usually only be cured after some kind of 'paper' changes hands. The officials at the DM's office were sharp enough to realise that they have a 'leverage' in this matter.
It is in their authority to extend the dates for endorsement if they 'want to'. So your uncle just has to find out how to make them 'want to' endorse the pistol.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:20 pm

A DM can't issue a license for a .38 revolver.This can only be done by the Minsitry of Home Govt. of India.

penpusher

PS-A police officer can't keep any unlicensed firearm.The exemption from the provisions of the Arms Act and Rules, for police officers is only limited to service issue firearms.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Guess not too many DM's know this as I have seen quite a few licensed PB pistols issued by DM's both here in Mizoram and outside.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:28 pm

jonahpach";p="20800 wrote: Guess not too many DM's know this as I have seen quite a few licensed PB pistols issued by DM's both here in Mizoram and outside.

Jonah
It is not a secret.Take any copy of the Arms Act and Rules and this is clearly stated there in.A DM is supposed to know the law.

penpusher