Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Imported Handgun

Post by msandhu » Wed May 16, 2007 12:56 am

Thanks Mehul, Sanjay and Shurjo for all this information. I still have few years left on my visa and when i plan to move back, then i will definaltely try to bring NPB firearm back to India.
Cheers
Mandeep

For Advertising mail webmaster
andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed May 16, 2007 4:37 pm

what arms can be imported by someone holding a valid green card in the usa .is it only .177 cal airrifles or any other NPB weapon.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Andy,

An air-rifle OR air-pistol IS NOT classified as a firearm! Please do not confuse airguns with firearms. The discussion above is to do with importing a NPB firearms under transfer of residence rules.

For the process of how to import an airgun please see previous posts made under the "airguns" & "arms law" sections.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

VJ
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by VJ » Thu May 17, 2007 8:04 am

Mehul, has someone done what you have suggested in the post, i.e getting a gun into India and then applying for the license. If someone has tried this can you ellaborate on your experiences with the whole process.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu May 17, 2007 8:29 am

VJ,

My response is based on a conversation with an officer at the Chicago Consulate about 2 years ago. I had just bought my Mauser at the time and my wife had bought the Marlin that I shoot a lot.

In any case, if you have a license in India, then you have to have a gun on that license within 3 months of being issued the license or it expires. So, even if you have a license in India, it does not help in any way when you take a gun on TR back with you.

IIRC someone on this forum (or on the old Indians For Guns Yahoogroups) posted about his experience taking a .32 pistol back to India and I know of someone who took a 357 revolver back with him. I shall try to locate the person whom I know took a 357 back and get him to post about his experience if I could reach him. Just give me a few days.

BTW do speak to the Consular officials if you plan on taking a gun back to India when you return. They have become helpful these days unlike in the past.

Cheers!

PS Our Midwestern group is planning some outings now as Inder is back in the US. If you would like to join, do send me a PM and we'll talk about plans as they come up.

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Thu May 17, 2007 6:48 pm

Hi Mehul,
Usually the time period to put a gun on license is 3 months but I think you can get up to 1 year also to buy a gun once you have been issues a license also.
Correct me if i am wrong

Cheers
Mandeep

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 pm

MAndeep,

Yes, there are exemptions under which the validity of a new license could be extended beyond 3 months for someone to buy a gun, but how is that going to work for an NRI? Are you going to be visiting India every three months for a year just to get your license extended? Not very practical, I should think.

At best you could have the paperwork ready and with your lawyer in India before your return on TR and have your lawyer file it about 3 months before your return. That way, when you reach India, your interview could be completed with the COmmissioner and you could collect the license and pick the pistol up from customs within a day or so of your returning.

Cheers!

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Fri May 18, 2007 6:55 am

Hi Mehul,
I already have a NPB license in India. I was just asking because i heard from someone that he got time limit of 1 year to buy a gun. I just wana confirm if thats possible under some circumstances or not.
Regards
Mandeep

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri May 18, 2007 7:33 am

Mandeep,

In your case, then, there is no problem at all. When you land in India with your new pistol, just sell off the old one and get the new one endorsed on your license.

Under the license regulations, you are given 3 months time after being issued a license to buy a gun of the de.scription entered in your license. Yes, under some circumstances the licensing authorities could extend this if you do not buy a gun. That said, I doubt that anyone would wait. :)

Cheers!

Sudipto
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

On import laws

Post by Sudipto » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 pm

It may sound naive for those who know, but could you please explain to me how forign made handguns enter India and are legally available when their import is absolutely banned in India? Are there some category of people who are allowed to buy it abroad and then bring them here and sell? Or are these very old weapons and a legacy of the Raj?
Sudipto

penpusher

Re: On import laws

Post by penpusher » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:11 am

Sudipto

Import of firearms by all Indians was legal till 1986.The firearms that you see are the ones brought into the country before that.Many are over 60-100 years old.

Now only the following categories of people are allowed to import firearms:-

1.Indians returning on Transfer of Residence
2.Renowned shooters
3.Officers of the Armed forces presented(not bought) a firearm while on an official visit abroad are also allowed to import such a firearm(before 1986 they could bring in one as a part of their uniform without paying duty).

penpusher

Sudipto
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sudipto » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:19 am

How sad. But thanks penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: On import laws

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:51 am

....and imagine some of those dealers peddling the stuff as 'brand new just imported' !!

primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Import+Transfer

Post by primerwalla » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:22 am

Hi guys,
New to this forum. I am a Canadian of Indian origin. Came across this website while searching for regulations on arms import into India. I would like to transfer a semi-auto to my father as his neighbour was robbed at gun point and I my father feels that he should keep a firearm. He and his neighbour both have applied for a firearm license and will be getting it soon.

I read the Arms Act and figured out that I can bring in a firearm and transfer it to my father. The only question is how difficult it is to get the license for import and transfer? Anyone done this before?

If it is too difficult, where can he buy new semi-autos in India? What's the typical price for say a new Beretta, Taurus in .40 S&W? I would prefer to give him a 1911 but still not sure whether it is PB or NPB?

thanks in advance

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:36 am

Primerwalla

Prior to asking a question as a courtesy do introduce yourself in the correct forum. You should search Arms Laws/Rules Forum for the required information including definition on prohibited bores etc. Import of guns to India has been banned since 1986. Transfer of residence allows import of one gun and there is a significant statuary period within which Gun cannot be sold or transferred. All of the calibers mentioned by you are prohibited in India.

Welcome aboard and do post often.

Best