Suggest a knife for self-defence please

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
kenhypno
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Suggest a knife for self-defence please

Post by kenhypno » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:50 pm

.32 wrote:I've been using a Victorinox Knife, looked fine but wears very fast. The blade doesn't hold its edge well.
A very less than ordinary knife but expensive.
i carry a Victrinox Tinker myself and yes agreed expensive and right about the blades too!
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

For Advertising mail webmaster
Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Someone said, "The winner of a knife fight is the one that makes it to the hospital" Avoid it when possible, also don't try to do anything fancy you see in movies. I once talked to a veteran who said slice attacks won't do any good if both are prepared to fight (common in knife fights) the best way is to stab them multiple times at vitals like chest and throat (I'm not sure if India has the "excessive force" law though) and gut when you get a chance. Stabbing them in shoulder multiple times is good too. Almost any knife would work except those "10 rupiya" knives. The most important thing about knife fighting is to stay fit, so going to gym or a little bit of exercise at home would help.
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

kenhypno
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by kenhypno » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:07 am

my suggestion SAK Soldier Alox Imagejust about the right size in length and breadth 93 milimeters 3.66 inches not too slim and small like small SAK Tinker 3-1/4 inches / 8 cm (too flimsy) or big like Locksmith 111 mm or 4.37 inches (which i think is illegal to carry)! i can carry it as a neck nife with a special pouch and a string around my neck too!
here is its history !

Code: Select all

http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Soldier+1961
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

thebrowningeffect
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by thebrowningeffect » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 am

nagarifle wrote:best form of self defense is laughter. you tell a joke so funny while they are craking up you ride away on your bike. :D

some things in life can not be avoided and some can so best learn to avoid those things which can be avoided.

take a base ball bat, it has many uses, with it you can teach a new game or two as baseball bats are not well known in this country. :D and no licence is needed for it. just take along some balls as well. :D
good sense of humour nagarifle. :D
”An armed society is a polite society.”
~Robert Heinlein~

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Now a days Expandable batons are common to be used as a tool for self defence and can be used for everyday carry also.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:58 pm

The Best Knife for Self Defense

A knife is normally considered as a weapon of last resort for self-defense that can save one’s life when no other means are available. Knife fights are not exempt from bleeding and other terrible things, so anyone choosing a knife as a self-defense tool has to be mentally prepared for it.

A person should not carry a knife for self-defense if they are not prepared to use it. It’s better to be unarmed than to carry a weapon which a person is unfamiliar with in hopes of getting lucky. In some situations, just showing the knife and threatening to fight back is enough to deter a criminal, but the wielder of the knife must always be prepared to use it.

Certain knives are illegal to carry in specific states or regions. Anyone interested in carrying one should check local knife laws to avoid troubles.

The selection of knife for self-defense is not an easy. There’s no perfect knife that fits everybody’s needs. It’s a matter of personal choice. There are several criteria to consider before choosing a knife for self-defense:

The type of knife should match one’s defense tactics:
• If stabbing, get a knife with a long, thin blade which has a high penetration ability
• For cutting, look for a double-edged knife with bent edges, KERAMBIT or other similar type.
• Consider its overall length and weight for the convenience of carrying it.
• The grip feel in the hand is also an important factor.
• Is the knife convenient for everyday carry and keeping it concealed while on the move.
• Self-defense knives should not be expensive – it could be lost or taken away.
Briha

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:14 am

I would disregard any thoughts on using a knife for self defense. While I have seen a few people over the years get into trouble with knives, I have NEVER seen a person get out of trouble by using a knife. I did see a guy once hold off about 8-10 people using an old style car bumper jack, but any knife smaller than a sword is not really a good deterrent or weapon in my opinion.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:05 am

Read this on the net sometime back (have totally forgotten the source, else would have given a link). I am not sure of the veracity also, having never been cut seriously!

Before deciding on using a knife for self defense, call over a friend, grab a couple of whiteboard markers, and do a pretend knife fight (think up scenarios, and do serious fights using the markers). A red mark (assuming you use red markers) is equal to a knife cut.

One red mark on the limbs - hospital, 3-4 on limbs - morgue, 1-2 red marks on torso/groin/neck/eye region - long time in hospital, but likely to be morgue. You'll bleed to death before you reach a hospital.

If knife fights were so easy, Jim Bowie, the Corsican mafia, Mexican gangsters, would not have been so (in)famous!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:30 pm

I believe that expandable batons will prove to be the best self defence weapon as they can be used for everyday carry and revealed in no time in case of any unforeseen emergency. They are ready for action at any time. Talking about the legality of expandable batons in India, Its not clear, but people in India are though keeping it for their everyday carry. So, according to me, its fine to have the batons for self defenc.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Knives are good for food preparation in the kitchen, camping, as a tool for the outdoor tasks, as a good jungle companion. And for OFFENCE. Any person embarking on a do or die mission in the armed forces, should be packing a knife capable of causing damage.

What a knife is not good for....is self defence.

1. Its practically useless in the untrained hand.
2. It is also useless in the hand of someone who isn't prepared to use it as an offensive weapon (its not self defence...its pure offence)
3. It will get the person wielding it, a long term in jail, irrespective of the situation.
4. It takes too long to deploy....imagine trying to get it out of your pocket, opening it, adrenaline pumping, getting snagged in clothes, critical hand immobilised...while someone is advancing on you.
5. It can cut you. Too much adrenaline does strange things to our motor movements

So, what works?

1. 2 Hands and 2 legs....very lethal weapons if trained
2. A simple pen
3. The top of your head, thumbs, fingers, elbows, teeth... in close quarter
4. Learning to sprint...if you can out run the average criminal you are safe
5. A long tool...like a spanner, walking stick
6. A short tool...screwdriver, torch, kubaton or any impact device
7. Finally....your ability to simply defuse a situation and walk away...charm, tact and style :D
There is no downside to Freedom!

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:03 pm

By the way, just realised that the post is at least 5 years old, and I am sure the gentleman has got his answers a long time back :)
There is no downside to Freedom!

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:11 pm

I believe that carry a tactical folding knife is the best for everyday carry. I prefer folding knives in respect of the fixed blade knife because they can be concealed easily and revealed in no time.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 am

First of all, you should think that what knife type you can handle for everyday carry to outdoors.
A Fixed blade knife or a folding knife.
When you have decided on this, You can choose from various famous brands perfect for self defence knives like cold steel, Gerber, Tac Force, MTech, etc.