Advice needed from experienced people

Posts related to rifles.
Mebau
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Advice needed from experienced people

Post by Mebau » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi,

I am no gun nerd but am shifting to a place in the mountains. It is a forested area and is frequented by bears and leopards. I have been asked by the local authorities to get a gun licence and a rifle. What NPB rifle should I get? Please help.

best regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Advice needed from experienced people

Post by Vikram » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:58 pm

The question you need to ask is what you intend to do with it. Wildlife laws are rather strict and any transgression,knowingly or unknowingly, would land you in trouble. That you need to take into consideration. Remember, you are moving into their territory.

A .315 or .30-06 would be ideal, to answer your question.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:35 pm

Yes, as Vikram said, you are moving into their territory. Will you be doing agriculture in that area or you are just building a cottage for recreation? If you are going to do agriculture then you can apply for Arms License for Crop Protection, but bears and leopards do not damage crops. Still you need a gun which makes big bang just to scare wild animals. For that purpose .315 or .30-06 Sporting rifles will be best.

Regards
Vikramaditya Singh.

Sam Kunal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Sam Kunal » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:38 pm

I think you would be better off with a Dbbl shotgun. In my maternal village which is surrounded by forests, many households have a shotgun for protection. You can keep slugs for protection and blanks for scaring away any animals or humans.

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:14 pm

General availability of cartridge is 30.o6 or .315 cal . If you want to invest little money on guns go for .315 rifle as gun and ammo r cheap . If you need quality stuff go for 30.o6 rifle.

Regards
SATHVIK

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Sam Kunal wrote:I think you would be better off with a Dbbl shotgun.

I agree. A shotgun makes a much more practical choice.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 am

Vikram wrote:The question you need to ask is what you intend to do with it. Wildlife laws are rather strict and any transgression,knowingly or unknowingly, would land you in trouble. That you need to take into consideration. Remember, you are moving into their territory.

A .315 or .30-06 would be ideal, to answer your question.
A 12 bore DBBL would also do but remember killing a bear or a leopard is going to get you in real trouble unless you prove the circumstance was in self defense and an animal attack imminent. Best to scare them away with a bang, for which any of the three guns would suffice. An highly effective bang (Unequaled in my opinion), is the Sutli bomb sold at every cracker shop during Diwali in the country. Keep two boxes of these at your Jungle residence, the Guns are not really needed but they are an essential confidence boosting item. Personally I prefer a 12 bore because it is great at getting rid of Snakes which are plentiful in our forests.
All the best.