IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Posts related to rifles.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 pm

nail on the head... :(
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Poor old IOF humble cartridge, so much history to live up to.

On my last trip to India, I happened to try my hand at a .315 shooting at a target that was slightly moving ( by way of a rope contraption ) Danish was driving the Jeep.

As I took a shot ist cartridge misfired. I opened the bolt and worked the action sliding in another around, 2nd cartridge misfired, 3rd one hang fired.

Replaced it with a 2007 manufacture pack.

Loaded a round into the chamber and was pulling the safety catch backwards in this 2007 production IOF, as the safety lever came to the middle the RIfle fired. Luckily the barrell was pointed up.

THe next round did hit the intented black tin target.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:02 am

swinging target..... moving jeep... iof rifle and ammo.

nazar na lage. good shooting.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Greetings one and all! Stumbled upon your site recently while researching something else, when my eye caught. ".315 India". Hadn't seen this in about forty years, since an article about it was published in the late 1960s in "Guns Magazine".
It is simply the Indian version of the 8x50R Steyr, a.k.a. 8x50R Mannlicher, ; a.k.a. .315 Mannlicher Rimmed; the old Austrian military cartridge. When the .303 and .450 caliber cartridges were prohibited in India and the Sudan, BSA lost its market for Lee-Enfield sporters in those countries, and found a cartridge suitable for the Lee-Enfield action in the 8x50R, already being loaded in Britain. Ballistically it bettered the .303 slightly, 244 grain bullet at 2025 fps, versus 215 gr. @ 2060. So, when Ishapur phased out military Lee-Enfield production, it was only logical to follow in the foot steps of BSA for their sporting rifle. The French Lebel has a rim diameter considerable larger than the Lee-Enfield's bolt diameter, .630" vs. .585", and is NOT suitable for the lee-Enfield action.
The Type 45 Siamese cartridge is but a variant of the 8x50R Mannlicher. Same case length, but longer neck and thus shorter case body. It can be safely fired in a rifle chambered for the 8x50R Mannlicher.
Original military barrels had four rounded deep grooves, with a rifling twist of 250mm. I would assume that BSA/IOF used a ten inch (254mm) twist since they had the machinery for that one. Groove diameter is larger than that of the Mauser, at 8.25mm (as a sporter), with maximum bullet diamter the same at 8.22. If the bullets tend to break up, that's the fault of the IOF ammo. Bonded bullet technology is something new. Nobody but IOF loads it anymore, though the similar but longer 8x56R (misnamed Hungarian) is being produced in Serbia and available in the US.
Ishapur Lee-Enfields, while never comparing in quality to their British or Lithgow counterparts, were serviceable. From all I read on this forum, they must be of pretty sorry quality now.
As to aluminum bolts, or bolt handles, not likely. Not even from IOF! More likely a coating or plating. Industrial chrome plating is not the shiny "chrome" we are otherwise accustomed to.
So much on the .315. Time to quit beating up on Shahid. Namaste!

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Its only a Chrome polish, but new models are all black paint again.

IOF ammo has its own set of problems, which requires a seperate thread on its own.

A lighter bullet wt. for the .315 was also available but never offered by IOF

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 pm

But Shahid how is the 315 for average shooting needs like taking care of a pest boar or shooting a few targets now and then. Does it have a scope rail? Guess it should be able to handle this much atleast.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:43 pm

dev";p="39381 wrote: But Shahid how is the 315 for average shooting needs like taking care of a pest boar or shooting a few targets now and then. Does it have a scope rail? Guess it should be able to handle this much atleast.

Dev
No scope rail, you'll have to get a SMLE style bracket type of scope mount installed... should be cheap enough to have it fabricated - not a very pretty looking option though... Of course, talking about "pretty" the IOFB .315 is downright ugly in it's factory fresh avatar... gobs of sloppy paint all over the stock/ action and barrel, and the chequering... the less said the better!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

heh heh just trying to learn without carrying the broom stick home. amazing that the .22 rifle has one. exploring options since the 30 06 will be out only by the time we retire :lol:

dev

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:30 pm

I have no confirmed news from anyone who has actually tried a few shots on the range with a scope mounted on the IOF .315. THis is a cumbersome and ugly contraption that can be bolted on to the left side of the rifle.

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:35 pm

shahid";p="39388 wrote:I have no confirmed news from anyone who has actually tried a few shots on the range with a scope mounted on the IOF .315. THis is a cumbersome and ugly contraption that can be bolted on to the left side of the rifle.
HI! I fixed a scope onto my IOF .315 about 15 years back - zeroed it in at my farm and have been using it ever since without a problem. Whenever I wanted it got the job done:) bang on tgt.

shahid

Post by shahid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:52 am

can you post some pics of it pls then.

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Post by msandhu » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:26 am

Gun accessory has the picture of .315 with scope. I think they can install it on it also
since they have the Telescope Mount and the telescope also

http://www.gunaccessory.com/IOF/315_rifle.htm

Cheers
MSandhu

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:23 am

Thank you guys, so does gun accessories sell it with the scope or does it come with one in the STP model or what? I remember seeing a 315 with a nice big scope on it which seemed pretty decently worn. No extra ugly cuts anywhere but mounted on a rail like any other rifle.

So Shutzen it seems like a decent one to have just for shooting, nothing serious just to have something that makes more noise that a .22 and the reassurance that if a herd of rabid urban pigs went man eater I'd be one up.

Regards,

Dev

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:13 pm

dev";p="39422 wrote:and the reassurance that if a herd of rabid urban pigs went man eater I'd be one up.
Only if you had the necessary permission.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="39427 wrote:
dev";p="39422 wrote:and the reassurance that if a herd of rabid urban pigs went man eater I'd be one up.
Only if you had the necessary permission.
Right of course with the right ticket and all old bean!
Just in case.

Dev