starting pistol now sold in Poona.

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

starting pistol now sold in Poona.

Post by b.baracho » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:52 am

A starting pistol or starter pistol is a handgun (typically a specially designed pistol) that is fired to start track and field events and used for training and as movie props. The loud report of the gun going off is a signal to the athletes to begin the event. Blank shells or caps are used to prevent injury.Starting pistols are often heavily modified from a regular shooting pistol and incapable of using real bullets.

Now to get to the point spoke to mr Kulkarni of G.smith Poona, and learnt that he has added Starter pistols by Umerex for sale, he has models like P22, PP Nickle plated and Colt Double Eagle in stock which goes for around Rs 40,000/- & blank ammo for Rs 100/- a slug. He also informed me that it comes along with a declaration mentioning the serial no of the pistol and stating that it is perfectly legal to own in India. See models and details of pistols on http://www.umarex.com.

Can anyone share some light on this topic, views and reviews will be greatly appreciated

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: starting pistol now sold in Poona.

Post by Risala » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:35 am

What would be the purpose of owning such a hand gun or for that matter any other blank firing gun,given the costs involved I think it is a waste of money,even a can of mace would be more effective.
A few thousand more and one can look for the real deal.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:52 am

I could not exactly find any 'Starter' guns in Umarex website; maybe I did not scour well.
However, for those who want to have some sort of safety without the license 'jhanjat', a starter pistol/revolver maybe good to scare away thieves/robbers, ensuring no harm is ever done. This is how I see value in it. A real looking gun which makes a loud bang can scare away people for sure.
Of course, for more serious owners, there is nothing like the real thing :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 pm

Quoted price is about 10 ~ 15 times more than the real market price for these guns. Too bad local supplier extort such an amount !!!

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:57 pm

TenX";p="48101 wrote: However, for those who want to have some sort of safety without the license 'jhanjat', a starter pistol/revolver maybe good to scare away thieves/robbers, ensuring no harm is ever done. This is how I see value in it. A real looking gun which makes a loud bang can scare away people for sure.
Of course, for more serious owners, there is nothing like the real thing :)
At 40 K it is not only expensive but also an extremely false sense of security that one would look for
by carrying a dummy,the individual is better off buying a Diwali pataka gun for a few hundred Rs max,this way even if he gets whacked atleast he can use the balance for his overhaul :lol:

Sure with time the Lic regime has got tighter,but still dont see no jhanjat wrt applying for an arms lic,in most cases the rejections are cause the lic authority is not convinced by the credentials of the individual for the need of a fire arm.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:23 pm

I think I've said this a few times already - you are much better off carrying NOTHING on you as opposed to carrying a replica or blank firing gun... Carrying one of these and (perish the thought) brandishing one to scare away potential muggers is in all probability going to get you killed!!

Even petty criminals like chain snatchers in the NCR region carry desi kattas with them (the going rate for one is less than INR 1,000), and they will gun you down in a heartbeat if you try such a stunt. So if you're going to pull out a gun in self defence, better make sure it shoots real bullets....

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Yeah maybe...
Looking at it in one aspect of a real encounter in the NCR region, especially with someone who has a real gun, would make it real foolish to brandish a replica :)
I do, however, know some guys here in Sounth India, who carry replicas, and have also managed to scare away thugs. I have neighbors who sport such replicas, with a hope that thieves (which has become more common in my layout) will stay away from their house if they know the person has some sort of a gun...
Stating it all, a replica is good if:
1. The person does not have/want a license
2. If he/she prefers to have a less hassle mechanism to scare away small time crooks (non-NCR region)
3. Pure craze to own/collect look alikes.

Disclaimer:
This is generally NOT for gun addicts and real-gunners.

What I am seeing, is a value without careless dismissal of any possible usage. If I had a young kid whom I would like to introduce to guns, I would surely not start off with the real thing...
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:18 pm

TenX";p="48111 wrote: Disclaimer:
This is generally NOT for gun addicts and real-gunners.

What I am seeing, is a value without careless dismissal of any possible usage. If I had a young kid whom I would like to introduce to guns, I would surely not start off with the real thing...
Couldnt agree more,separates the men from the boys :wink:

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:26 pm

And if you get into hands of UP police while crrying it,sure it will be the worst time for you,,because it will be very difficult for you to make them understand that it is a replica,,and the purpose of carrying it..
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by b.baracho » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Say any one out there has one for sale would be interested Pls pm me .Do not want to put a new post in wanted if someone has then ok if not no prob.
Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. -P.Rod-

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:03 am

With overall increasing criminal activity , and ease avaliablity of country made weapon ,as rightly said by Mundaire even carring a real handgun without practice is not safe , replica make things worse ,as said earlier also , PEPPER SPRAY is really effective under certain situations ,so no no to replica .

BY firing starter gun soundeffect will scare away badguys , HOW about if you hear sound of 315 bullet from 4 inche barrel after that . EXPERIENCED guys can explain effect of 315 bullet from 4 inche barrel at 10 to 15 meters. JAMES...

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:02 am

You your self started this post that GSmith is selling it ,,why dont you buy it from them???
b.baracho";p="48125 wrote: Say any one out there has one for sale would be interested Pls pm me .Do not want to put a new post in wanted if someone has then ok if not no prob.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by b.baracho » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:05 pm

badshah0522 wrote:You your self started this post that GSmith is selling it ,,why dont you buy it from them???
b.baracho";p="48125 wrote: Say any one out there has one for sale would be interested Pls pm me .Do not want to put a new post in wanted if someone has then ok if not no prob.
badshah0522 at price come on buddy!
Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. -P.Rod-

sawbones
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sawbones » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:45 pm

My suggestion woukd be a paintball gun apparently available in india now and then you can get 6mm pepperballs

sawbones

ashkalra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ashkalra » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 am

Hello,

Where can i buy paintball guns in India -- are you talking about the real action marker type paintball guns.

Thanks,
Ashish