IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Posts related to rifles.
GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Assuming there is a jacket stripping issue, won't lubing the bullets help?

GG

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:51 pm

GG,

Have heard of this jacket stripping nonsense from a number of people and for some time even believed it.So much so,that I refused to even fire a .315.If you pull the bullet,you would immediately realize that this would not really be possible.The lead core is loose and can even be moved a fraction of a mm with your hand.However,since the jacket also covers the base,there is no way that the gasses can push out the core leaving the jacket in the barrel.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:29 pm

The bullet next to a .32ACP cartridge fro reference.Since the bases are not level,the bullet is in fact longer than this photo would lead you to believe

Base of the bullet

My teen sau pandhran

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification, SS. I've used a .315 on numerous occasions and have not had any incidents of the jacket stripping. I have however seen bullets on target, keyholing in well used .315 rifles. ie. the bullet strikes the target sideways instead of head on.

GG

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:34 pm

SS, that's a superb looking .315! What wood was used for the stock? The stock maker has done a great job on the stock.

GG

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:58 pm

penpusher,

When it comes to IOF and KF, it isn't very difficult to believe in the worst. However, I may start considering the .315 again.

If you are going to use a sling, change those sling swivels for something better because those loops have opened up on Opensight's and my .22lr rifles.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:42 pm

GG,

The stock is the one the rifle came with.Scraped off the paint and evened out the stock with a knife(it was thicker from one side).Stippled it the way Mack The Knife did his .22.Finished it with Watco Danish Oil.Had stained it with Alkanet (ratanjot) soaked in thinner and Walnut stain(Sirca) mixed with oil before finishing it.The inspiration was of course Mack The Knife.Could not remove all traces of RFI handiwork though.Some gouges still remain.

However,I will have to re-finish the butt again as I am going to lengthen it by adding a wood spacer as it is too short for me.Also going to put on a thicker recoil pad.

Thank you for the compliment.

Mack The Knife,

You will not be able to make out from the photograph,but curiously one of the sling swivel is smaller than the other :? Will replace them with something better.Have never really used a sling for shooting.Most of it has been the old fashioned way without the use of one

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:35 am

gasram, the sideway hits could have been caused by pretty worn out barrels,i mean at the muzzle end :roll:

dodger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Is it that in AK-47 we use .315 bullets?

Post by dodger » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:52 pm

I was told by sum one that the Bore of .315 Rifle and AK-47 are the same and similar Bullets are used in both?? Is this a Fact or Just a wrong information?

Please post in let me know.

Regards
Kshitij.
Guns are Good ;)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:58 pm

Dodger: Just plain nonsense. An AK47 (7.62x39mm) bullet measures .312" maximum and weighs 123 grains. It will fall right through a .315 barrel. The .315 bullet measures .324" maximum and weighs 244 grains. Cheers.

dodger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dodger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:39 am

thanx a lot for clearing ma doubts. good work.
Enjoi 8)
Guns are Good ;)

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:11 am

After 22 pages of discussions what were the new findings.

Not only did BSA built .315 Rifles but even Holland and Holland made them. Source - Page 44, H & H 1932 Catalouge and H & H 1924 Catalouges.

BSA 1956 Catalouge. All these are in our posession now.

Manton & Co, Calcutta 1924 catalouge.

A .315 Rifle was sold for a princely sum of then GBP 8.

Coming back to this century.

.315 is made at two factories in India. IOF Icshapore and IOF Tricihapalli in South India, wherever trichapalli is Madras state ( Tamil Nadu ) or Andhra. I understand Trichapalli might be same as Trichi where there's a Regional Engineering College.

This Trichichapalli made IOF .315 is supposed to be a much better finish one.

It was being retailed for only INR 54,000, a very attractive price, about the price for a new WIN Model 70 in the USA. Not bad considering a 30-06 in India costs anything from 2.5 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs these days and going up.

A gunsmith in Allahabad offered to do it up, single piece stock, rebleing, three shot concealed in stock magazine, new silver filled iron sights, swing scope plate, no it was really worth a try. I bought it. Should arrive here in Delhi within a couple of weeks.

If I dont like it no problem. Will sell it and buy a 7 x 57, plenty are available.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 am

good luck on your new 315 shahid bhai :) would like to see some pics if you can post them.by the way,whats the estimated price of decent 7x57s in india??

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:52 pm

A decent 7 x 57, anywhere from 250,000 to 400,000 Indian rupess I guess. A very good condition one 9 Dabba pack ) as they say it touching 600,000. But it is the best rifle for Indian conditions.

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:51 pm

[quote="shahid";p="58591"] I understand Trichapalli might be same as Trichi where there's a Regional Engineering College.

Yes, Tiruchirapalli and Tiruchi are the same. That's where our IFG member Sudhaiob is from. I knew that Tiruchi had an ordnance factory, but never knew that the IOF .315 is manufactured there.

Recently, a dealer in Madurai (3-hour journey from Tiruchi) offered a brand new one for 55K.

Ebenezer