IFG-UK- meeting with a 3 in 1 Celebrity!

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

IFG-UK- meeting with a 3 in 1 Celebrity!

Post by Vikram » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 am

Friends, it has been sometime since we,the members in UK, had a get together.Then one day, we received a message that our good friend Señor Naga Rifle will be visiting the fair shores of Albion for a brief few weeks.After a breif but chaotic consultations with repective diaries, it was decided that we should meet at Shooter's(Dev) clay shooting club near Luton.He was to pick up MoA and Señor Naga Rifle from London and Hamiclar was to pick me up from the outskirts of Luton.

Well we reached Shooter's club Broomhill Clay shooting grounds owned by the old and venerable bespoke gun makers, "Atkins,Grant and Lang".Unfortunately, as it was a Sunday,visiting their gunshop was ruled out.

Though the meteorological predictions were expecting a clement weather,we were apprehensive given the experience of the vagaries of English weather,especially due to the recent (very)cold wave.However, it was Mr MoA who played truant,instead of the Sun, due to workload (the nature of which was greatly contested :wink: ).The morning remained surprisingly sunny and dry,though it was still icy.The result was, we were confused for a few seconds if we strayed into a carnival. A lot of people-kids,grand mothers,families,soloists etc, all were merrily blazing away at clays.Most touching of it all was the pair of wife and husband-the lady in a wheelchair armed with a Beretta and her husband pushing the wheel chair from station to station with his gun slung over shoulders. If only the anti-gun nitwits were to witness the joyous atmosphere,they just may understand that the gun owners are after all not blood thirsty murderers. :evil:

Before, we go further, I must tell you a few words about Senor NagaRifle.Apart from a very witty sense of humour,he has the uncanny ability to change his visage from utterly bewitching to very intimidating to absolutely menacing. :mrgreen: You will find out as we go along.

Well, not to waste any more time,Shooter started to assemble his Browning 525 and the Classic Doubles O/Us and Hamiclar got his Beretta 682.

Along with the guns, the large hearted Shooter brought me a brace of pheasants that he shot from the shoot the day before.How very generous of him!

Then,quickly we were on our way to the clay stands.

While we were on our way,Naga spotted the GoCarting track and was quick to observe that he never shot "Go-Skeet".He wanted me to get on a cart quick so that he could start "Go-Skeet" shooting. I agreed provided that he wears the hearing protectors over his eyes. :lol:

Shooter blasting away:

NagaRifle trying Shotgun

As I missed a few,Shooter wanted me to mount and shoot after I see the clay,a la Churchill's instinctive style of shooting, instead of shooting pre-mounted .It was VERY pleasing to see the clays bursting into smithereens!I did not bust all of them,but it did improve my score and taught a few lessons. One thing must be said here.Shooter's enthusiasm for shooting is like a mountain spring,fresh,clear and unsurpassable.It is infectious.

Our fingers were freezing in the cold wind,but we valiantly kept hurling lead at the clays.Finally, once it was done,time for a hot cup of tea to bring back some sensation to our numb hands.Here,Naga put his Hindi to good use,screaming "Oi,chai lao". ROTFL

Then,before we left for lunch, we checked out Hamiclar's Weihrauch HW-80 customised by Steve Pope.It is a gorgeous-gorgeous thing.You will be proud to have one in your possession and I think you will never ever wish to let something like that to go out of your hands.
Shooter tries the HW-80

Ze Group Photo.You can see Naga pull another trick here.He turns into Dr Evil! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We chose an ancient looking country pub to break bread together."The Packhorse" dates back to the 1600s or so we were told by the mistress of the said ale house. However, the steaks turned out to be disastrous-stringy,chewy and as ancient as the place itself-obviously not from very happy beasts.But, we being of Bulldog like tenacious disposition ,left nothing to waste.Hunger motivated us hugely of course. The chips did compensate to an extent though. After a couple of hours of nattering about guns,ways and means of making IFG better,collective cursing,bitching and bemoaning the state of affairs re guns in the motherland,it was time to move.With vows to meet again and often,we shook hands and parted ways.It was a fantastic day for all of us.Though we met Naga for the first time,it was as if we knew him for a long time.

Special thanks must be said to Shooter for arranging the shoot at his club and the brace of pheasants :wink:. Mr MoA,there is no excuse for next time,please. :D :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IFG-UK- meeting with a 3 in 1 Celebrity!

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:21 am

Nice write up as usual.Always look forward to your posts. :cheers:

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:43 am

Nice read. Sure you guys had a good time.... with Nags around, who can not, but enjoy :D

Thanks for posting !!

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:39 am

Ze Group Photo.You can see Naga pull another trick here.He turns into Dr Evil!
An uncanny likeness if I may say so... :mrgreen: I never would have guessed!!

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:11 am

LOL, nice writeup Vikram. It looks like you guys had fun.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:39 am

Ah, what a nice read and pics.

I wasted my UK visa last year, should have made a trip ..

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Vikram, as usual, the write-ups great. But for some reason, can't see any of the pics. Is it only me or.....?? Meanwhile, can you post the link of the pics??

Regards
Last edited by m24 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:50 pm

I'd like to offer a big thank you to Viks and Dev for getting the momentum going for this shoot, I was half afraid we were going to give up. Dev's home ground was cheerful and comfortable. and he proved a great host. Naga was great company, and
jonahpach wrote: [ An uncanny likeness if I may say so... :mrgreen: I never would have guessed!!
Jonah
Come to think of it......... :wink:

While we were having a chin wag over tea, the topic of stock blanks crept up, and the gentleman sharing our table offered to show us some walnut blanks from th gun room. Dev and Naga joined him, while VIkram and I hobbled behind, clutching our possessions. By the time we reached the gun room door, our friends had vanished and a rather menacing dame barred our entry, denying all knowledge.

It was surreal. Remember Javed Jaffrey's entrance in 3 idiots (main hi ranchod das chancad hun)!
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Enjoyed the photos and the write up, could feel the bracing wind, smell of gunsmoke and WOW Katrina? Hope you guys can introduce GO SKEET shooting in India,with Arnold and Dr. Evil as coach and administrator.
:cheers:

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:02 pm

thanks IFG UK team, for a smashing time out. very much enjoyed the day, especially shooters keenness for his sport gave me a few good tips.

i do remember shooter telling Vickers " use the expensive shots, not the cheap ones" as shooter was the one who did all buying and paying of the shoots. come to think of it Vickers did say that he 'has fallen in love with shooters Wellington.'

thanks all for taking the time out to meet up with me.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 am

oh the walnut was Turkish ones had about 30 blanks.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:46 am

Nags,

I spotted several walnut blanks on Holt's website for decent prices.Give it a good look.

Thanks everyone for your good words.I really enjoyed the company of the good friends. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:51 am

Hey i actually had a lot of work, plus the cleaning crew was to come. Who incedentally never showed up, but I did get some work done.

It isnt about excuses, its about priorities. I havent gone home in weeks, and wont be due to work pressures. :cheers:

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:09 am

All I want to add to this wonderful write up is that i saw the "fabled" gunroom of atkin grant and lang.

Quite a few sidelocks there.

there was a couple there having a look at a purdey there. The salesman was telling them it was a good deal. Ithink it was about 30k. Many other old english sidelocks.
saw a poachers folding .410. there.

i especially loves the older damascus barrel hammerguns.

The food sucked (except the chips) but was nonetheless memorable because of the company. i dont know if he realises it; but mundaire was indirectly a part of the meet up because of the phone conversation he was having with vikram.

All in all the day was a great success. look out for the write op of our march get-together at edgehill shooting ground.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 am

oye, thanks for having fun guys.Looks like IFG international is going great guns.
Am not a shotty man, probably know which side points to the target, but the smell of gunsmoke and smashed clays-wunderbar!
keep on doin it!
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."