Best 0.22 pistol/revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Best 0.22 pistol/revolver

Post by diskaon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:56 pm

I was wondering which would be the best hand gun in the 0.22 category. Purely in academic interest.

Assumptions:

1. Free import is possible.
2. 0.22 LR/short/long or any variant is ok
3. Budget is not an issue.

Categories:

1. Self defense (don't laugh)
2. Plinking
3. Target Shooting

Please post your views.

diskaon
klick klack..... diskaon

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ticky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Best 0.22 pistol/revolver

Post by Ticky » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Diskaon! Diskaon! Diskaon!

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Condidering the topic.. it should be diskaon diskaon diskaon
klick klack..... diskaon

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 pm

diskaon wrote: Categories:

1. Self defense (don't laugh)
2. Plinking
3. Target Shooting
Restricting myself to only .22 LR
1. The moment we talk about Target shooting , then the length of the barrel assumes greater significance. Obviously 6 inches barrel is better than a 4 inch barrel.
2. When we talk about self defense, do not under estimate the .22 LR, though it does not have STOPPING POWER, it does have penentration power.
2. a The wounds of .22 are extremely small and the fragments of the same being smaller are extremely difficult to treat, from the point of view of stopping internal bleeding.
3. Most people rave about the stopping power of calibers .44 mag, .357 mag , .45, while theese calibers do have tremendous stopping power, their recoil is not easy to handle unless the user is in fairly regular training. Therefore, when faced with multiple assailants, firing at one and bringing to bear the gun on the next assailant (after the recoil) definitely requires training of the military type.
4. Generally a .22 LR recoil is that much easier to handle and if you are using a weaver , cup & saucer or double fist grip, you can PLACE your shots in the vital areas - heart and or head.
5. Having said that, you still may not be able to STOP a guy, high on drugs or high on the intent of killing you.
6. Finally a revolver, is excellent simply because it will not jam (though revolvers are known to jam but not as frequently as a pistol hence more reliable).
7. Finally Double Action or Single action - Double action is supposedly good for self defense while the single action is good for target shooting. This is quite obvious, but I will still explain- The energy reguired for double action is roughly double than that of single action, because, roughly half the energy is reguired for cocking and the balance half is required to release the hammer. This makes a single action good for target shooting.( You can also use a DA revolver for Target shooting f you cock the hammer before taking the shot)
8. But I would still prefer the single action for defense also, simply because In a single action, the trigger pull force is less, ALSO, in the case of a self defense shoot, it adds one step extra, that of cocking, which has two connotations;
(a) While cocking the trigger, you are still thinking whether you really want to shoot the bug*3r. So cocking is a step which is taken with a very cold reasoning behind it, reserving the final squeeze of the trigger, ONLY when all else fails (visual intimidation, shouted warning).
(b) The trigger is so smooth (half the energy) that the chances of deflecting the gun barrel from the point of aim is minimised. For example, in the case of a double action revolver, you are aiming at the throat of the assailant, but due to yanking the trigger (stress related) you may end up missing the bug*3r entirely!
My personal choice: .22 LR Single Action min. six inches barrel revolver. This is because , I know, that even under the maximum stress, I will STOP the assailant by PLACING my shot where I want.
Regards

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:23 pm

buy a 22LR revolver by IOF, smoothen out the kinks in it-learn a bit of revolver -smithing in the process, and enjoy maadi.Thats real life.Theoretical/pedantic? get a Beretta mosquito...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Great Post hvj1..
Kind of sums it up..
Can we have some name(s) of the 0.22 LR revolver(s) which you would like to have?

eljefe... Baretta Mosquito.. interesting. any reason you would choose this one over a ruger or taurus??

Diskaon..
klick klack..... diskaon

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:07 am

Charter arms pathfinder

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... 72240.html
This is a good budget buy. Taurus also makes quite a few revolvers..

The best although is

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... flag_=006b

Because I own one.. :wink:

Best

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 am

diskaon wrote:Great Post hvj1..
Kind of sums it up..
Can we have some name(s) of the 0.22 LR revolver(s) which you would like to have?

Diskaon..
Diskaon, my good friend, NOW you hve touched a very very soft spot. I simply CRAVE for the Ruger Single six, convertible .22 LR/ WMR (The WMR round as you know, is a very lethal one), with a 6&1/2 inch barrel and in stainless steel (See avatar). Quite recently I had posted a revolver in handguns section asking the experts here, what the price should be. If you have seen that post and seen the photographs, it will give you an idea of the pedigree (lovely lines) of the ruger revolver.
Best Regards

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 pm

I loved it, thanks a ton hvj1. I was looking for something like this too. :D
Glad that diskaon posted this question.
One more trouble, can IOF .22 revolver be used in any ISSF competition.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:48 pm

sa_ali wrote:One more trouble, can IOF .22 revolver be used in any ISSF competition.
No trouble mate,
The IOF .22 revolver places its user in a position of severe disadvantage due to indaequate sights, gripping, trigger weight and length of barrel,hence never used in competitions.
There are four .22 events in ISSF Pistol, these are;
1. Free Pistol- Standard precision pistol target is placed at 50m. There are no restrictions on the type of pistol used so long as the grip does not extend beyond the wrist and the pistol should be loaded and fired one shot at a time. Normally in this event, the pistols are single shot affairs with long barrels and 'falling block types' to minimise vibrations caused by falling of the external hammer. The trigger can be set to 10gms, you can call it a hair trigger. The IOF with the short barrel, std. trigger weight, std grips and falling hammer renders it almost useless for this event. In fact if you manage to hit the target at 50 m, you should be well pleased at the effort!
2. Standard Pistol:
In this event there are three parts, 20 shots fired in 150 seconds for 5 shots (precision), then another 20 shots, 5 shots in 20 seconds and finally 20 shots , with 5 rounds fired in 10 seconds. Total No. of shots=60.
While the revolver may be okay for the 150 seconds series and even the 20 second series (theoretically), its would be hopeless from the point of accurate shooting in the 10 seconds series.
3. Rapid Pistol: 20 shots fired in 5 shot series in 8 seconds, followed by same number of shots in 6 seconds followed by 4 second series.
Again due to DA IOF revolver hopeless for this event.
4. Sports Pistol - This category is for Women only, so if your sister/daughter/mother/wife is planning to take part and if all efforts at borrowing a competition .22 pistol fails then you may use the IOF .22 revolver and HOPE for the best.
Regards

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 am

thanks a ton.
So going by this, there is no way that using a IOF revolver, you can hit even anything close to MQS. :(

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 am

I am a very big fan of .22 hand guns,following are the handguns in .22 i previously kept :

High Standard ( 4'' barrel) Accuracy Good
IOF revolver accuracy poorest
S&W K22 masterpeice ( 6" barrell with .22WMR cylinder) Accuracy Excellent
Presently Own a Colt 1911 with .22 Kimber Kit , Accuracy Excellent

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 pm

@hvj1: Technically speaking you can compete with the IOF 0.22 rev in all categories. you will get an award for "bravery"

@sa_ali: any time.. great minds think alike :-)

@Ngrewal: Which model do you own? there are quite a few in the link you sent.. Chartered Arms is at $438 only.. that means in India it would be quoted at around Rs. 4.38 lacs? they also have 2" barrel version (for the sub nose fans)

@badshah: King of 0.22?? how many guns do you own?

My Comments:
So the 0.22 revolver does have an upper hand (compared to semi- auto 0.22 pistol) from the SD point of view. 0.22 LR costs 1/3rd 0.32 ACP .. so you can practice three times more with the same budget. Thus making you more proficient in handling the gun in a self defense scenario.

for target shooting - i guess you anyways need to practice 15000 rounds a year min. so you have a lower budget.

Plinking - No guilty feeling of blowing up money on ammo. Lesser noise levels.

I am happy I posted this.. great info.Thanks guys.

diskaon
klick klack..... diskaon

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:55 pm

:cheers:

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:04 pm

:)

Not taking off the topic, there was some news of IOF coming up with Longer barrel ver of .22