Have finally decided to join the Big Bore clan...

Posts related to rifles.
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Have finally decided to join the Big Bore clan...

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:48 pm

A 20mm with a "blow back action to reduce recoil"? That I got to see.

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:33 pm

TwoRivers wrote:A 20mm with a "blow back action to reduce recoil"? That I got to see.
So do I. Not sure about the rifle as yet... though am definetely leaning towards a semi auto. Meeting up with the guys from FMR on thursday to try a see what can be made available.

lakecity_shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lakecity_shooter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:26 am

sir but what i wanna know that which rifle a indian can have for effective long range shooting ????????

did u applied for a special license for importing a weapon ????
actually sir i am a shooting lover and want to become a long range shooter.Any suggestions would help me in future.thats y eager to know the facts thats confusing me........
"Defeat is a choice so as victory,You are never beaten till u decide"

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Effective long range shooting has less to do with caliber and more with skill.
Calibers that do lend then selves to long range shooting are the 6BR, 7,5 swiss, 338 Lapua, .308 etc.
I do not live in India, so the laws of India dont apply to me.

You can shoot even a .22lr out about 500 meters but requires a whole lot of skill. I shoot .22 lr to about 300 meters since my wind reading skills dont quite match my aspirations. With larger calibers I can reach out touch something out to about 1500 meters with what I have currently. The urge to go further is what is driving my urge for the 20mm. :cheers:

lakecity_shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lakecity_shooter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:36 am

which rifle u suggest for a beginner in long range shooting ?
"Defeat is a choice so as victory,You are never beaten till u decide"

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:22 am

Some 20 mm guns in the US are the Anzio Ironworks magazine fed Bolt action or single shot bolt action. The single shots are under $10,000 and the magazine fed versions are about $12,000. They also offer multi caliber kits so you can switch between .50 cal and the Anzio 20-50 round. Training ammo is $10 a pop for the Vulcan ammo!

[youtube][/youtube]

There are also the Finnish ex-WW2 semi-auto Lahti L-39's 20mm's set up to fire the Vulcan cartridge. The Lahti's were developed as anti tank rifles but were later also used for long range sniping. No idea what the cost on something like that would be.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is a big and expensive project that you've taken on, MOA. :D
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:58 pm

If some one does decide to get a bolt action 20mm rifle to India on TR,it would be treated as a NPB rifle.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:52 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:If some one does decide to get a bolt action 20mm rifle to India on TR,it would be treated as a NPB rifle.
LOL, Winnie!
Indian Defense Forces use the 20 X 82 mm cartridge(Vidhwansak) which is smaller than the Vulcan shell, so technically the 20mm Vulcan should be NPB. However, I can sure see the Babu's getting their knickers in a knot when someone tries to TR an anti-tank rifle. I think Chidambaram would have a stroke. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:07 pm

It is ab expensive project. Dont think the lahiti is a candidate. Want a one off gun,
A 50 BMG,,, been there done that. No fun...
Chidambram quite frankly can take flying **** as far as I concerend. He is an idiot.