Help required in buying .30 mauser broomstick pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
sonuvecv
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Help required in buying .30 mauser broomstick pistol

Post by sonuvecv » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 am

Dear IFG'ians
After long ordeal ,My cousin got his liscense for buying pistol/Revolver of Non prohibited bore,and he is interested in buying a pistol or Revolver of foreign make(we termed all imported weapon as "ENGLISH " and we found this .30 mauser broomstick pistol at one of the gun dealer in gwalior he is having one webley Scott Revolver as well A series 4 inch barrel.Pistol was looking in good condition ,webleyscott was not available at that time but he assures that he will show us the weapon next time,Asking price for pistol is 6.5 lakhs while for webley scott it is 3.7, the dealer is saying that he will let us meet the owners of both weapon and he will take 25000 rs on deal.Mauser was looking fine but but we are not buying it only for looks.Kindly guide me that what we have to check to insure that weapon is worth cost 6.5 Lakhs.I am attaching the pics which I have taken but that time I was not carrying a good camera so I request you that what photographs shall i take so I can post if and seek advice of all gun gurus and does these weapons worth the price or how much shall we negotiate.My cousin is more biased toward pistol.
12485.jpg
3082012480.jpg
012484.jpg
012482.jpg
012482.jpg
082012479.jpg
Your help and advice is required in the selection of pistol
12485.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help required in buying .30 mauser broomstick pistol

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:34 am

friend,
catridges are rare,so think twice'
regards
dr.jk

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 am

regards,
Weapon is good but do confirm whatever the carridges of good qualties r available or not.It is true a large no of people r going for 30 bore pistols as it is excellent weapon.German weapon r good just confirm avaiabity of amno,I just came through a dealer sold small mauser for 375 lacs one year back it was of 32 calibre.
regards

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 am

sorry it is 3.75 lacs it should be read like this

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:32 pm

If its the only pistol you have then stay away from it simply go for Ashani modify it from a known gunsmith and spend extra saved money on buying decent ammo. I wouldnt suggest buying this one - German or not its way too old

Everybody to their own but metallurgy and age is a big factor on the weapon condition and future life utility..This way too pricey and risky buy in my opinion

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:46 pm

ngrewal wrote:If its the only pistol you have then stay away from it simply go for Ashani modify it from a known gunsmith and spend extra saved money on buying decent ammo. I wouldnt suggest buying this one - German or not its way too old

Everybody to their own but metallurgy and age is a big factor on the weapon condition and future life utility..This way too pricey and risky buy in my opinion
:agree:

if they were made 15 years ago then fine. but 100 years old. cutting ones own throat. unless its for display etc.

like everyone said ammo? hard to get not enough etc, its like having a roll Royce and no petrol. darn useless
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

I would have gone for clean webley, but asking price is more, it has to be lesser approx 3 lacs - 3.5 lacs (if in great condition)

cheers...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:06 pm

To the OP,

Please read this topic on Mauser .30 and the Tokarev thread. You will find a lot of info on that pistol and cartridge.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... ev#p146065

You need to ask yourself why you need this particular firearm. Mausers while cool,fun and do pack a punch, they are unwieldy and un-ergonomic. You may have it checked with a decent gunsmith for the condition. 6.5 Lakh for it? Not for me.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Don't know about other parts of India but ammo for mauser c-96 is available in Punjab and Haryana. My father owns this pistol and I had purchased ammo manufactured by Fiocchi few months back.

Regarding buying it for 6.5 L, I think it is totally a personal thing. If I were you and I had that much amount to spend on a pistol then buying or not buying would have depended on condition of the pistol. I would only buy it if the barrel grooves would have been in very good condition (which is hard to find).

7.63x25 is an excellent caliber for self defense , keeping in mind that other famous calibers like 9 mm, .45 ACP, .357 magnum are difficult to procure here in India. The c-96 pistol is heavy and bulky and one takes time to get used to it. But then carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.

Regarding the pistol being 100 years old I think the age doesn't matter as long as the weapon is in good condition.
Metallurgy of mauser, 100 years back was much better than what it is today of Ashani. If one compare metal of both the pistols then one can feel the difference. Recently a dealer had offered 14 lacs for my father's c-96 though the model is different then the one shown above by the OP. But I think it's not worth selling it at that price.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Metallurgy of mauser, 100 years back was much better than what it is today of Ashani.
:agree: ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

It's Kruppstahl!!!

When a manufacturer and gun designer of repute like than Paul Mauser puts sights graduated to a 1000 Meters (yes that's 1 KM) on a Pistol, it says a lot about his confidence in the product.

The bullet from that thing exits at Magnum velocity. The list of its affiniados includes Winston Churchill, Lawrence of Arabia...

To me it is speaking blasphemy when one recommends Ashani to a gent looking at a Mauser C 96, more so when this piece of advice was not even sought by the person in his post.

While perhaps a bit bulky and slow to reload it is certainly a true CLASSIC and very very desirable.

:cheers:

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:49 am

BowMan wrote:While perhaps a bit bulky and slow to reload it is certainly a true CLASSIC and very very desirable.
I don't think they are slow to reload. The ones with magazine just need a magazine change to reload and the ones without detachable magazine can be reloaded with a clip quite fast.
C96.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:03 am

BowMan wrote:
To me it is speaking blasphemy when one recommends Ashani to a gent looking at a Mauser C 96, more so when this piece of advice was not even sought by the person in his post.
That's a bit harsh mate, considering a lot many gents pointing out the age of the firearm as a negative have far more experience with firearms than you :wink:
Did I mention the paucity of restorative skills in contemporary Indian gunsmiths
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Did I mention the paucity of restorative skills in contemporary Indian gunsmiths
That's even harsher and bit of a poor generalization mate. Some Indian Gunsmiths have skills that are at par with the best in the world and some are not so good.

And besides the pistol in question does not even require restoration.

I am sure if it was a H&H/Westley RIchards/Purdy shotgun of the same age than a lot of people would have been swooning and oohing and aahing!!!

Perhaps with your excessive old age and experience you should know better how to appreciate really OLD and CLASSIC THINGS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Perhaps paucity and extinction are the same words in your dictionairy
BowMan wrote:
Perhaps with your old age and experience you should know better to appreciate really OLD and CLASSIC THINGS :lol:
That's a pretty low blow. :shock: Have you run out of arguments apart from waving the "classic" card to convince a newbie to part with his money for a pistol you haven't examined yourself?

Both ngrewal and nagarifle shoot far more than the average Indian, thanks to their location.
Please elucidate your credentials.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:45 pm

That's a pretty low blow. Have you run out of arguments apart from waving the "classic" card to convince a newbie to part with his money for a pistol you haven't examined yourself?
So have you examined that pistol or for that matter does anyone giving opinion on this forum really examine the firearm before giving their opinions? Sorry but you had to raise this lame duck.
Both ngrewal and nagarifle shoot far more than the average Indian
I too shoot far more than the "average Indian", and I am not referring to shooting from my mouth.

Lastly Sir, I do not need my credentials verified by you or anyone else. That's my opinion about the gun which I believe I have a right to have regardless of your concern about credentials.

Regards
BowMan