Importing legally acquired horns of elk deer from canada

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Abdul Razzak Khan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Importing legally acquired horns of elk deer from canada

Post by Abdul Razzak Khan » Mon May 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Hello community,
I have legally acquired horns and skin of elk deer that was hunted by me can anyone let me know the exact procedure for shipping it to india any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Importing legally acquired horns of elk deer from canada

Post by marksman » Tue May 11, 2021 1:28 pm

It may come through if you have immense patience, time and deep pockets. But if at all it is a specie indigenous to India, even though bred outside of India, just forget it..

Marksman

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Wed May 12, 2021 8:17 pm

marksman wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:28 pm
It may come through if you have immense patience, time and deep pockets. But if at all it is a specie indigenous to India, even though bred outside of India, just forget it..

Marksman
Elk is not Indian species. So one good news or we can say one less bad news.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Thu May 13, 2021 3:38 pm

Abdul Razzak Khan wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:14 pm
Hello community,
I have legally acquired horns and skin of elk deer that was hunted by me can anyone let me know the exact procedure for shipping it to india any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
No . You can't acquire or possess any wildlife trophy in India .
Such cases are governed by The Wildlife Protection Act 1972 . Section 2 of the Act defines " trophies " . Your items come squarely in that definition . Unless you got those items registered at the commencement of that Act , Section 40 ( 2) makes it impossible to possess any trophy of any wild animal thereafter .

Its curious to note that this Act classifies various wild animals into schedules indicating their status of stringent protection but as far as " trophies " are concerned , the Act maintains no difference between a wild animal native to India or otherwise .

Trivia : you can only hunt an animal if it's been shown in Schedule V of the Act as " vermin " .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Woods very right you are. Importing some wildlife trophy is next to impossible in present condition. I feel It's better not to take that hassle as at the end it will not fetch any result.
In the case of vermin control, it's possible at least till now I can say but process is again tiresome and in case you got a permit for vermin control then also it only gives you permission for classified vermin in the state and there also lot of regulatory process is involved. Such as
1. If any type of vermin is destroying your crops or farm products then you first try to drive them to their natural habitat, if you fail then on your request the forest dept will try for the same ( which is again a time taking matter) if all sort of attempts fail to drove the creatures from agri area then you can get a permission to culling that vermin.
2. For use a fire arms against a wildlife is again violation of some laws. So be careful.
3. In my home state at present rabbits, boars few type of birds porcupine ( only in case where the agri land is attached with forest area) etc are considered as vermin. Large rats and bats till now do not need any permission to shot down. If you shot any species apart from the approved category then you will be in a soup for sure.
3. Time taking by the govt. Is pathetic .
Regards

Shivaji

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Thu May 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Possession of trophy , pest or vermin control by way of shikar is de facto a forbidden deed . Period . Haha .

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri May 14, 2021 1:27 am

Abdul Razzak Khan wrote:
Hello community,
I have legally acquired horns and skin of elk deer that was hunted by me can anyone let me know the exact procedure for shipping it to India any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Please refer to this notification before you attempt the import.

http://forest.kerala.gov.in/images/flas ... 032014.pdf

Elk antlers and skin do resemble to an extent to that of sambar and red deer, both of which exist in India. You will have a tough time convincing the customs and forest authorities that they don't.

Importing trophies is not banned. However, it is a very lengthy and complicated process. You need to decide if it is worth the effort and expenses without the guarantee of success at the end.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri May 14, 2021 2:03 am

Woods wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:38 pm
Abdul Razzak Khan wrote:
Hello community,
Thank you
No . You can't acquire or possess any wildlife trophy in India .
Such cases are governed by The Wildlife Protection Act 1972 . Section 2 of the Act defines " trophies " . Your items come squarely in that definition . Unless you got those items registered at the commencement of that Act , Section 40 ( 2) makes it impossible to possess any trophy of any wild animal thereafter .

Its curious to note that this Act classifies various wild animals into schedules indicating their status of stringent protection but as far as " trophies " are concerned , the Act maintains no difference between a wild animal native to India or otherwise .

Trivia : you can only hunt an animal if it's been shown in Schedule V of the Act as " vermin " .
The OP is asking about importing from Canada. Trophies are allowed for import though the process is arduous and many restrictions apply.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Fri May 14, 2021 11:53 pm

Acquisition and possession of a trophy will be subject to provisions of Wildlife Protection Act 1972 unless we mention express exception given by another law .

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat May 15, 2021 12:39 am

Woods wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:53 pm
Acquisition and possession of a trophy will be subject to provisions of Wildlife Protection Act 1972 unless we mention express exception given by another law .
You are mixing up two very different things. I have posted the official notification on this subject above.
Please read the notification.

http://forest.kerala.gov.in/images/flas ... 032014.pdf

It allows for the import of 20 trophies of animals hunted by a person himself abroad per year.
Trophies Import.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sat May 15, 2021 10:17 am

The notification is talking about " CITES " and " lookalike " of Indian species . Has anyone imported something under this notification , will be worthwhile to know .

Also , if someone challenges this notification vis a vis an act of parliament, it will be interesting to note possible consequences.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat May 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Woods wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:17 am
The notification is talking about " CITES " and " lookalike " of Indian species .
The notification is clear enough. Once again, please read it in its entirety. The trophy of an animal that is listed in the CITES or an animal found in India and also abroad or any animal that looks like an animal found in India cannot be imported.
Woods wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:17 am
Has anyone imported something under this notification , will be worthwhile to know .
There are some who imported their trophies from Africa successfully.
Also , if someone challenges this notification vis a vis an act of parliament
What does that mean?

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sun May 16, 2021 11:28 am

Also , if someone challenges this notification vis a vis an act of parliament
What does that mean?
[/quote]

Just a reflection - what may be the legal consequence if some woke " activist " goes to court challenging this notification falling contrary to Wildlife protection Act !!!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon May 17, 2021 1:16 am

Woods wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:28 am
Just a reflection - what may be the legal consequence if some woke " activist " goes to court challenging this notification falling contrary to Wildlife protection Act !!!
It is possible that even the legal imports will be banned. :) :(

Shaamu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Shaamu » Fri May 21, 2021 4:01 pm

My guess is that it is better if you keep the elk horns in Canada as it is extremely difficult to get a trophy in this country and only VIPs will get it easily. But still,if you do get them here, well congratulations, you’ve earned yourself a trophy. :D