Now, Aamir caught in chinkara case - hilarious!!

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Now, Aamir caught in chinkara case - hilarious!!

Post by sat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:24 pm

August 08, 2006 18:10 IST

The Gujarat forest department has sent a notice to Aamir Khan for allegedly violating the Wildlife Act during the making of his film, Lagaan, in 2000, when he had filmed a chinkara without permisison in the Kutch district.

The department sent a notice on August 7 to his production team for filming the chinkara without its permission, forest officials said today.

The department has given him a week's time to reply to the notice.

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2006/aug/08aamir.htm

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:39 pm

This is nothing but the revenge of the Gujarat government for Aamir's support to the Narmada Bacaho Andolan. :evil: Shame, isn't it? All these days these people did nothing and when he uttered something against them, they unleash their dogs. If he did commit the said crime, he should have been prosecuted long back. There is no comparison between him and that oaf Salman.

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:27 pm

What a bunch of jokers - does filming an animal harm it in any way? And when has it been a crime to film what remains of India's once magnificent wildlife? The jokers in the Gujarat Wildlife Department must have been high on tribal hooch to concoct crap like this.

Vikram is absolutely right - it is vindictiveness of a kind that needs to be stopped by the courts.

Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:42 pm

I do not wish to go into the motives behind the notice.But sure as hell, these bollywood photographers are no wildlife photographers, who try to catch the animal in it's element & not scare the shit out of the animal.Sure the animal would have been stressed beyond doubt & action must be taken against the people responsible.
Even in zoos & national parks there is a penalty if u stress the animal.
But as the law works for the high & the mighty here, let's not have much hopes.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:57 pm

I do not wish to go into the motives behind the notice.But sure as hell, these bollywood photographers are no wildlife photographers, who try to catch the animal in it's element & not scare the shit out of the animal.
Having no interest in Hindi flicks, I don't know how Bollywood conducts its business but have you noticed the numpties that are allowed on wildlife safaris? I'd say they outnumber the serious photographer by a fair margin.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:23 pm

I have said this before-That 1 instance, where a tigress in prime of life was strangled and skinned in a Hyderabad ZOO in 2000,ranks very high in my utter distaste for the low life amongst us who still try to pass off as humans.
No clues, no action to date.Surely very high stress levels for the animal in concern?
numpties in a photo safari outnumber everyone else, by a factor of 10 atleast? A panther mauled and killed a 6-7 year old girl in a safari park bus near Bangalore about 20 years ago.Because the family let her get out of the vehicle to see the animal better...
Atleast legal hunting beats poaching by explosive filled potatoes, garotting by wire snare and dynamiting of fish by a long shot.Many balances are hopefully preserved, monies earned to plough back into the upkeep, the animals get a protection of sorts and instances of poaching should reduce.
Lets face it, short of a major nuclear war, the population will never decrease, all the time encroaching upon the rest of the habitat. African countries recognised this early and actually audit the number of animals which can be sustained in an area of biodiversity, the rest are culled as game, earning much needed resources for upkeep of the habitat , flora and fauna.
WASI based in bangalore has a similar programme, where they hire guards on certain stretches of rivers, to prevent illegal dynamiting and allow only game fishing.
Since we're never going to turn the clock back 50 years WRT population and habitat, we must adjust, hopefully using a sustainable,reproducible model.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:19 pm

Asif,

In South Africa towards the end of the 19th century thee was a very sad state of affairs as game was virtually wiped out by poachers etc. It was at the beginning of the 20th century that the South Africans started introducing conservation principles and they seem to have worked marvellously. I am sure that India has the brains and the ability to do much better than South Africa. I am not sure that the will is there, though.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:08 am

mehulkamdar wrote:I am not sure that the will is there, though.
More than the will, it is political courage that is lacking.

No votes to be had when you stop your contituents from encroaching on forest land, stop grazing of domestic cattle in forests, stop the felling of trees for firewood and so on.

Mack The Knife

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Mack The Knife each one of your points is related to daily sustenance for the village folks, if govt could come up with better /cheaper fuel alternative be it ?gobar gas plant?, pre-fabricated houses or anything who wants to trek into jungle and haul the load for firewood or huts,
Over grazing by cattle, I know I am going to get yelled at but India has one of the largest livestock of cattle in world BUT USELESS, due to religious sentiments we cannot cull these herds. Neither can the whole community come up with ?Gau shallas? to take care of these herds.
Encroaching of Forest Land ? Villagers should have a stake in sanctuary and make money of as guides, etc for tourists who want to come down.
Any sane leader cannot argue with any constituent when needs are ?Roti, kapada or Makaan? . This is harsh reality of survival in rural India .

Regards
Navdeep

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:49 pm

Navdeep,

There is a difference between how relocated villagers and the original inhabitants, tribals, use their natural resources. The latter know how to without depleting their surroundings.
Any sane leader cannot argue with any constituent when needs are ?Roti, kapada or Makaan?.
If that's the prevalent attitude we may as well kiss goodbye to what little forest cover we have. Sorry but a Lakshman rekha has to be drawn and enforced when it comes to our natural heritage.

Mack The Knife

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:52 pm

If that's the prevalent attitude we may as well kiss goodbye to what little forest cover we have. Sorry but a Lakshman rekha has to be drawn and enforced when it comes to our natural heritage.

Mack The Knife[/quote]

What you are suggesting is akin to union territories and being governed by central govt not a bad idea.. may be its being done already

regards

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:29 pm

ngrewal wrote:What you are suggesting is akin to union territories and being governed by central govt not a bad idea.. may be its being done already.
To be honest that did not occur to me.

Personally, I have no faith in either the central or state governments, whatever their political leanings.

Mack The Knife

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:02 pm

sent you a PM navdeep.

-Naren

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:11 am

Naren

I replied back to your PM thanks for info

Mack The Knife

If not central govt then next best thing is cooperative society kind of set up, similar to milk coops Amul etc. Empower the local bodies but they will need guidance.
Maybe some one can provide info on model used by South African govt? Are their parks govt run or are they independent cooperations. These coops need their own specific infrastructure, guards, scientists, vets etc for routine running.
I read that water supply in Orissa has been turned over to private company, why cant govt have few sanctuaries run by private sector or NGOs. Just my 2 rupees

Rgds
Navdeep

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:14 am

Navdeep,

South African parks are managed by the government as far as I know. In Zimbabwe they came up with the CAMPFIRE programme. It is based around the hunting industry though - basically involves the locals of a particular area and gives them an incentive not to poach.

I belong to a non-profit NGO called WASI, see my signature, that has been leased 30 odd kilometers of the Cauvery and we try and do the best we can within the limited means at our disposal. Corporate funding would help but that does not seem to be forthcoming.

Mack The Knife