How to turn a beer can into a camping stove

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

How to turn a beer can into a camping stove

Post by Motorpsycho » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 am

Hello all,

A very interesting video on how to make a camping stove out of a beer can.

http://vimeo.com/64726512

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: How to turn a beer can into a camping stove

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:13 am

Camping stoves are a must. I need my coffee in the morning! Even when I'm out in the boonies.
I've done a lot of research on them and used a few types.

That beer can stove is a decent idea and they work well. They will work in a pinch but after one trip, however, you will decide that you need a little more than what it offers.
My daughter has a small liquid fueled stove and while it worked well, It sucked after the first couple of years when the seals started leaking (which you wont know till you start using it). Of course, you have to use it because you're a long way from civilization. One time, I had a little puddle leak out and pool on a State Park wooden picnic table. Of course, it promptly caught fire and if I hadn't nipped it in the bud, I would have ended up with Forest Rangers pissed off at me because I destroyed government property.

Erm... whatever you do, don't pour water on a liquid fueled fire because it just uses up your scarce drinking water and it spreads the fire. Ask me how I know? :oops:

The Pro's of that beer can stove is that they are cheap, disposable, lightweight and alcohol is not an expensive fuel.

The cons, in my opinion outweigh the Pro's
The issues that I have with the beer can stoves are:
1. They are flimsy
2. There is no adjustment to the flame. You have the same flame if you are boiling a large vessel of water or if you're just trying to lightly saute some mushrooms and onions in butter.
3. I really don't care to carry flammable liquids in my backpack, whether it is in a glass bottle or a plastic bottle. Once, in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, I stepped on a wet rock when crossing a stream and my feet shot out from under me. I landed with all my weight on my backpack. It was quite a spectacular flip and even Charlie Chaplin would have been proud! A glass or plastic fuel container might not have survived.
4. It is hard to find an absolutely flat area when in the woods and the base would be a little tippy when set on the ground with a pan on top. Depending on where one is camping, there might not be a nice picnic table to set it on. Unlike Minnesota, not every other state's campsites have picnic tables. Some primitive campsites have no amenities.
5. That stove set on a dry forest floor could get exciting really quick. The Rangers really frown on campers setting their forests on fire.
6. You want a little more surface area to set a pan on. Unlike in my kitchen, if I spill what I am cooking, I can't just go to the fridge and get more. Everything I have with me will have to be hauled in. I prefer a little more substantial platform for my pans.

I looked at many stoves:
This is what my daughter uses (she doesn't like it very much anymore):
Information HERE
I like the stove but there are too many connections that could leak. Adjusting the fuel supply valve, adjusts the flame intensity.
The liquid canister unhooks and the legs and pan supports fold up for easy packing. It is also very lightweight.
Liquid fuels are very cheap and in a pinch it will safely burn Gasoline, Kerosene or even Diesel.

I almost bought this one (below) but the pan supports are way too small.

ImageImage
More info HERE

Everything folds up into that little plastic container. Very handy!
The only thing that bothered me was that the pan supports seemed flimsy and too small.

This is what I ended up with:
More info HERE
A simple touch that I liked was that there was a heat shield over the flame adjustment knob, so you could adjust the flame without discomfort.
It is stable, uses cheap canisters that are available in every department store and it has a halfway decent pot support.
It is also cheap and if I lose it, its no big deal. It is a few ounces heavier than the fancy MSR stoves in its class.
The canisters are sturdy and relatively lightweight. They also last a long time.
It will get you a rolling boil in under three minutes (at 70 degrees F) and I'm still on my first canister of gas.
100% metal, it has no rubber or silicon parts, no O rings, nothing to wear out.
...and it is made in the USA and not in China. I'm not sure why that makes a difference but it does.
Tonight when I get home, I will post a photo of it folded so you can see how little space it takes in a pack.

If you really like liquid fuel stoves and are car camping, these little things work well too:

more info HERE

If you have a large number of people to cook for, then you might want something like this:

Obviously that is out of the question when backpacking.

If you want a nice little propane/butane stove, something like this will last a long time.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

seedha.admi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by seedha.admi » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:18 am

@xl_target & @motorpsycho

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

KUDOS SIR JI!
There's nothing black or white in the world. There are just shades of gray.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 am

XL,

I agree with you that the alcohol stoves are pretty much only good for boiling water. It can be argued that you can make a "simmer ring" to throttle them down, but they are still too impractical to cook anything other than water IMHO. Having said that, they are certainly cheap enough to make and then a person can make their own decisions on how well they might like them.

However, LOL, I seem to have bought the other stoves you mention!

I have one of those MSR "Pocket Rocket" stoves and you are correct, the pot supports are pretty flimsy. However, I pretty much only use it to make coffee which it does in just a couple of minutes and then it all packs down to nothing. great to toss in the car when on a trip so when you visit friends who do not drink coffee you are not out of luck.

I also have a couple versions of the Coleman "Suitcase Stove". One I have is the exact same dual fuel stove, and I also have a propane one. Propane is faster to get going, but for example we were selling girl scout cookies one of these past falls and I had a pot of hot chocolate keeping warm on the stove all afternoon for the little girls. I'd have been concerned about the propane stove cannister running out and it probably cost me 30 cents in gasoline. I'm still looking for a multi-fuel stove that can use diesel and petrol both, but I don't really need one.

If anyone is interested in making their own stoves, this is by far the best web site for information:

http://zenstoves.net/
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:15 am

i like colmen stoves and have used them. i do recommend solid fuel[Hexamine tablets] with army type stove is also good takes a bit longer to boil water but its light weight and easy to use.

what ever one one uses it must be workable in the windy conditions. this is a must for me.

while we are outdoor subject. as a kid used to make my own waterproof matches, by getting good strong matches the long ones and lightly covering them with clear varnish.[put it in a small plastic bottle with some cotton wool and saw dust]
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 am

Very ingenious and tricky! We made stoves out of tin cans, paraffin, and a piece of corrugated cardboard. The chunk of paraffin was thrown in the bottom of the can, then the cardboard was rolled up and put on top. When the cardboard was lighted, it acted like the wick of a candle, heating the paraffin. The flame then burned the gasified paraffin.

I don't know if the tissue-thin beer cans of today would work. I suspect that alcohol would burn hotter.

This is a very neat stove! Thanks for sharing!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:52 am

Very interesting discussion!

Thanks xl_target for the humorous write up - quite enjoyed it! :lol:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks for the ideas guys!!

By the way, for us desi types, Coleman stoves (as well as other Coleman stuff) are available at Home Town stores. A bit overpriced (USD price * conversion rate * 2.0), but then beggars can't be choosers, right?

I also got a folding hexamine stove and a few tablets (similar to the model available at oliveplanet dot com, but 1/4th the price) from a small shop selling "scientific toys" at the midway stop on Mumbai-Pune expressway.

XL, your "Charlie Chaplin" acrobatics reminded me of the time when I did the same. Into an icy cold stream in the Himalayas. Got sopping wet, had to change immediately, using a parka as a "dignity shelter"!!!!!

Naga, waterproof matches can be made easily by dipping the matches into the better half's clear nail polish (if you are OK with rose pink heads on your matches, even coloured nailpolishes work!). Mine got a little cheesed when I started dipping a whole big box of Home Lites into her clear polish..... so I went and got my own. Can't forget the look on the face of the girl at the counter!

Is there any brand of waterproof matches available for us desis? I do have a few Chinese lighters scattered around the car, house, etc. plus the ZIppo in my pocket.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:31 am

Dignity Shelter! LOL Esdee.

For lighters, I usually carry a few extra plastic BIC disposable lighters. I also have a refillable butane Ronson lighter that puts out an inch and a half jet flame which is great for lighting stoves.

Here is that Coleman stove with the pot supports folded. It was 28 bucks vs quite a bit more for the MSR stoves and it works just as well. The flame control knob is that black knob resting on my palm.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 am

Hi xl_target,
> Very informative & humorous write-up - Thanks :D
> Local manufacturers have been selling the Coleman type of gas stove here - pretty handy - have used it outdoors successfully.
Briha

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:43 am

Motorpsycho wrote: Hello all, A very interesting video on how to make a camping stove out of a beer can.
http://vimeo.com/64726512
Very innovative & interesting :D
BTW - Try stuffing the empty beer can with Solid Paraffin (the stuff hotels use for food warming during buffets) works well :D
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 am

Brihaji, brand names and stores, please!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:46 pm

essdee1972 wrote: Brihaji, brand names and stores, please!
essdee,
> Don't recollect the Brand Name - However its available at a store in Chembur - close to my residence!
> The best part is I've seen people bring back the tiny cylinder for refilling / replacement to this store :D
> If you're interested - maybe we could check this out during any of your forthcoming visit to my part of the town.
Briha

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:50 pm

You could use the Swedish fire torches. Simple to make. Search for Swedish Fire Torches in youtube. The videos are pretty interesting.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:29 pm

A quick snapshot of my Pocket Rocket brewing an espresso:
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947