I AM NOT TOO OLD

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Vik
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: I AM NOT TOO OLD

Post by Vik » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:I have broken shins and knees from Airborne service and missing a hand. If you think I am going to let you off this easy you are sadly mistaken :)

Get your butt in shape and get out there. Exercise nourishes the mind and the soul, not to mention your lifespan and health of course. Old dogs learn new tricks, and relearn old tricks even easier. If you can get out of bed, even with a cane or a walker, you are still in the fight. If you can't, then you need to try harder or cheat :)
I have a good friend who retired from the 82nd Airborne, he is not very tall. I used to kid him that he used to be taller than me before he jumped out of too many planes.

His knees are all shot, and his back, from too many hard landings I guess, what you said reminded me of him.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:24 pm

My recruiter told me a lie
Said go Airborne learn to fly :)

In Airborne school there are people wandering around with crutches and leg casts, waiting to be healed up enough to be kicked out and shipped to a leg unit. I was in a movie theater on a weekend and a guy came down the aisle on crutches with a cast. He stopped for a moment. He waited until his girlfriend caught up to him, on her own crutches with her own cast. The entire theater busted out laughing and they took bows to the laughter and applause :D

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:14 am

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:My recruiter told me a lie
Said go Airborne learn to fly :)

In Airborne school there are people wandering around with crutches and leg casts, waiting to be healed up enough to be kicked out and shipped to a leg unit. I was in a movie theater on a weekend and a guy came down the aisle on crutches with a cast. He stopped for a moment. He waited until his girlfriend caught up to him, on her own crutches with her own cast. The entire theater busted out laughing and they took bows to the laughter and applause :D
What are the 'Airborne Services'?? Is it a full time or a part time job?? What kind of services are provided by them??

Atul

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:50 am

Airborne Infantry. It is full time, 365 days a year. The service provided is death.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:04 am

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:Airborne Infantry. It is full time, 365 days a year. The service provided is death.
You mean it is a military service, to take part in wars??

Atul

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:43 am

In a manner, yes. I am sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't being clear. Here it would be readily understood.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:34 pm

The legendary Airborne divisions, US 82nd and 101st (both paratroops), and British 1st (mostly glider borne), paved the way for Operation Overlord. Subsequently they, and the newly formed British 6th Airborne, alongwith Polish and French units, took part in the ill-fated Operation Market Garden. The Paras succeeded, it was the armour that failed.

Read a book called Band of Brothers. It's about Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. The HBO series, in my humble opinion, "Hollywoodised" the story. Ambrose captures it better.

The current day operators are worthy successors of those heroes. The very fact of jumping out of a plane at insane heights (either too high or too low) makes these guys a couple of steps above the general "hero", plus the fact that they are usually landing behind enemy lines, in the dark, and in most cases subject to be shot instead of being taken prisoner, takes them several notches higher!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Thanks SD,

This makes them more than mere military personnel. My salute to them..........

Atul