I AM NOT TOO OLD

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

I AM NOT TOO OLD

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:23 am

I have been enjoying the Camping and hiking trips of the members, I feel I am too old to start now and am not physically fit also for this activity.
But after seeing this on TV, daadi has become my inspiration.
A new video on YouTube, featuring daadi and her grandson Tipu, will help nudge you towards the goals you've shelved for far too long.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Atul

For Advertising mail webmaster
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: I AM NOT TOO OLD

Post by StampMaster » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Right said Atul Ji, recently I watched this ad on TV.

I feel like I have started living normal after having accident with bruises all over my hand, leg and hairline fracture....
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Atul,
Given the age of the members here who are sharing their trekking/hiking logs, i bet you are not too old to do it. Heck they are putting us younger guys to shame with their stamina and zest to get out and explore :)
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:34 am

I have just learnt how to post a video from the post of Mundaire. As I have only one video link posted I will try it out on that. Here goes.

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 am

I have broken shins and knees from Airborne service and missing a hand. If you think I am going to let you off this easy you are sadly mistaken :)

Get your butt in shape and get out there. Exercise nourishes the mind and the soul, not to mention your lifespan and health of course. Old dogs learn new tricks, and relearn old tricks even easier. If you can get out of bed, even with a cane or a walker, you are still in the fight. If you can't, then you need to try harder or cheat :)

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:52 am

I have broken shins and knees from Airborne service and missing a hand.
Thank you for your service!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:15 am

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:I have broken shins and knees from Airborne service and missing a hand. If you think I am going to let you off this easy you are sadly mistaken :)

Get your butt in shape and get out there. Exercise nourishes the mind and the soul, not to mention your lifespan and health of course. Old dogs learn new tricks, and relearn old tricks even easier. If you can get out of bed, even with a cane or a walker, you are still in the fight. If you can't, then you need to try harder or cheat :)
:agree: :agree: :agree:
A layman asked a Zen Monk > "How Long is Eternity"?
Monk replied > " It's the space between two moments" :D :D :D
If its to happen - You've got to make it happen!!!
Briha

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks to you all, if Dadi can do it why not me.

Atul

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:06 pm

You are correct Atul,
You are not too old. You are only as old as you think you are.

Start off easy and gradually increase your mileage. Go slow, if you can, enjoy the journey.
Keep an eye out for interesting objects/scenes to photograph. You'll actually notice more if you do this.
I am not young anymore but I have been hiking since I was 17. Even though my knees are not in the best of shape anymore (years of rugby, rock climbing, track and field/crosscountry, etc.), I just go a little slower and I use a hiking pole to assist my knees when going uphill and especially downhill. If I can do it, anyone can.
Let me tell you it doesn't take any special effort. Just think of it as a walk in the woods/countryside.
If you walk a quarter mile regularly, in a couple of weeks time, you should be able to do the full mile.
Remember, there is no rush; take it easy, observe, listen and enjoy the scenery.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Pain is not gain. If you just push yourself a little bit most of the time, it will just take twice as long to reach the same point you would never had reach if you ran out and tried to be a hero.

Slow and steady wins the race. :)

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:35 pm

XL, Commonwealth_of_PA, and others,

Good advise. But it is too hot to wander about right now. I have the Aravali hills quite close to my house in Gurgaon. But I do not have the confidence to go any distance from my car. I feel I have to remain close to it so that in an emergency I can easily reach my car and get out of there. I know that I have myself ruined my health in the last 8 months after loosing my job due to recession.
I think I will show my daughter, a spot where I would be parking my my car and the direction I would be taking for my stroll through the hills and forest. That would probably give me confidence that I can call for help in case if an emergency.
Thanks for your suggestion, I will do it..

Atul

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:42 pm

That sounds like a great idea, makes perfect sense. So next plan to hike and camp with friends and/or family with you. You don't have to travel 500 km by car and 16 km on foot to man-eating Tigress territory :)

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:52 pm

If you are apprehensive, you don't have to go out into the woods right away.
Start in a city park. Make multiple circuits so you cover a significant distance.
Once you are sure that you can cover a decent distance without an issue, then decide to go into the wilderness.
Start slow, build up to the distance that you want to cover. Take it a little farther every day.
Find a friend or relative to go with you. It is more fun that way.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:09 am

good inspiration.thanks
regards
dr.jk

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:05 am

Yay - way to go aadhaulya! Keep your spirit up, you can do it. (y)

Thank you gentlemen, one and all for the words of encouragement and inspiration. :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!