.38 S&W Special Revolver

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

.38 S&W Special Revolver

Post by marksman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31 am

Just heard that a gentleman who has owned the .38 Sp. revolver for last several years was refused the renewal by Delhi Licensing authority on the basis of it being a prohibited bore. The explanation given was that it's a rimmed .38 ammo and hence a PB. I wonder why the officers transferred to Arms Dept. aren't sent to some kind of coaching classes before they join active duty or at least after duty hours. .38/9mm caliber is the most misunderstood phenomenon I feel and should be paid most attention to, by the authorities all over.

Marksman

For Advertising mail webmaster
partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: .38 S&W Special Revolver

Post by partheus » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:13 pm

I believe such madness continues because the law is lenient on officers. The license holder will now move court. The court will find the officer was at fault and will direct him to carry out his duty. But, to the best of my knowledge, there's no punishment waiting for the officer when it's proven he wasted the license holder's time through sheer incompetence. I strongly suggest license holders start demanding public servants be punished if the former are forced to do the legal circuit over such trivialities when they file their cases. Only the fear of a spoilt ACR or denied promotion can ultimately deter officers from indulging in hubris or overlooking important details.

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Hope this PB /NPB nonsense comes to end in future .

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:50 am

partheus wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:13 pm
Only the fear of a spoilt ACR or denied promotion can ultimately deter officers from indulging in hubris or overlooking important details.
Please excuse me if I sound overly philosophical here, but I'd like to note that government that presumes the goodness of its officials is generally bad, but government which presumes that its members are not good are, paradoxically, good.

The idea is that everyone is weak and tempted to favoritism, imposition of individual opinions on others, and corrupt, and therefore everyone needs to be accountable to someone else, is included in the idea that the exercise of power is always checked by another party.

Unfortunately, there are some governments that are designed to do this, but the citizenry -- the final and ultimate check -- does not function, but instead puts some other concern above the common good.

Here, I'm reminded of this: "We believe, as Mahatma Gandhi taught, that rights flow from duty well done." - Indira Gandhi

It's imperative that the public does its duty and stands up for the right and for the rule of law, which is vital to guaranteeing everyone's rights. As Partheus points out, this sort of petty tyranny, based on ignorance and private opinion flourishes where serving the people is not the paramount concern and where the public is satisfied not to demand it.

I hope that Partheus's wish may come true in this case, and in many others like it.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman