Government dissolves Ordnance Factory Board

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Government dissolves Ordnance Factory Board

Post by snIPer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Government dissolves Ordnance Factory Board, transfers employees and assets to 7 PSUs

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... aign=cppst
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Government dissolves Ordnance Factory Board

Post by Vineet » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 pm

I believe products and employees will continue to remain the same.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:58 am

Vineet wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 pm
I believe products and employees will continue to remain the same.
I just wish that the limit of 2 weapons is removed.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:41 pm

As long as big stomach tiffin toad Babus continue to " make " those things , they will be the same more or less . Why not just copy or say reverse rmgineer dome reputed arms or alternatively buy directly from some reputed manufacturer and sell st 500 % taxes. Send those Babus to clean horse dung at army farms .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:28 am

Forgive me for going off-topic here, but would someone please explain or at least give me a helpful link to understand this:

"tiffin toad"

Thanks!

I admit, the sound of it did give me a chuckle! :-)
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by revolver » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:07 pm

timmy wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:28 am
Forgive me for going off-topic here, but would someone please explain or at least give me a helpful link to understand this:

"tiffin toad"

Thanks!

I admit, the sound of it did give me a chuckle! :-)

Correct me if I am wrong.. I think what he meant by “big fat tiffin toad Babus” is .. Officials who have gotten fat cause they are only interested in eating their lunch /meals(tiffin) and nothing else..😂I think the word ‘toad’ here means ‘tod’ which is ‘to break’ in Hindi… suggesting eating or crudely put ‘hogging’ in this context😂

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:12 pm

Ah! Thank you! I had vainly searched for "tiffin toad", thiking it was a certain species. Thank you!

Harry S. Truman

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Dissolution of OFB effective from today . This article discusses the implication on supply . Not much for the end user .

https://www.firstpost.com/india/ordnanc ... 1.html/amp

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:05 pm

Indian Ordnance Factory Board restructuring and civilian gun ownership reform in India

https://www.firstpost.com/india/ofb-res ... 20901.html
OFB restructuring is progressive, but reforming the rules on civilian gun ownership makes sense too

All crime statistics underline the fact that licenced firearms do not contribute to crime; if anything, they most often help prevent heinous crimes by offering citizens a real chance to defend themselves
Abhijeet Singh
October 03, 2021 15:04:55 IST
The Government of India has finally decided to dissolve the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), making way for seven new (wholly government-owned) corporate entities, who shall now take over the running of the ordnance factories and other facilities.

The move is meant to help improve the abysmal quality of products that OFB has become notorious for. It has been consistently supplying overpriced sub-standard products to both its government buyers (military, para-military, police forces, etc.) as well as to ordinary Indian civilian customers.

Most of the buzz is around the corporatisation of the OFB and focussed on how this may impact military supplies and job security of workers, but few people are discussing the products they sell in the civilian market and how this move may impact potential civilian customers.

As many readers would not be conversant with the status of civilian gun ownership in India, a little background may be appropriate here.

Civilian gun ownership in India

Prior to the advent of colonial rule in India, arms of all manner and types were freely owned and carried by all sections of society. In those times, it was unusual for anyone to venture out of their homes without being armed in some manner.

The British rulers, with an ingrained distrust of their Indian subjects, had passed numerous stringent laws with the sole objective of disarming and subjugating the Indian population. These laws exempted all Europeans, while placing strict controls and penalties on Indians owning any type of weapon.

Post-Independence, the Right to Keep and Bear Arms was recognised as a Legal Right through the Arms Act of 1959, which allows any Indian citizen, not previously convicted of a violent crime or with any history of mental health issues, to apply for and acquire an arms licence.

Like any other government-issued licence, this process is highly subjective, corrupt and humiliating, and obviously geared towards dissuading ordinary applicants. The process ensures that unless the applicant is well-connected or willing to grease the right palms the application will invariably be turned down.

The only times when an ordinary citizen usually has any chance of getting a firearm license is if the applicant has inherited a firearm, or has achievements to show in shooting sports. As a result, in India it is rare for an ordinary middle-class citizen to have an arms licence.

OFB and civilian firearms

OFB has a long history of manufacturing firearms and ammunition specifically meant for sale to civilians in India. Initially starting out with the manufacture of sporting rifles chambered for the .315 cartridge (8x50R), these were the sporting version of the same Lee Enfield rifles being supplied to the government in .303 British and later in 7.62x51 calibres. Later on they also started supplying 12-bore double-barrel shotguns which were a copy of a Birmingham Small Arms design.

Till 1986, when the civilian import of all firearms was banned, these OFB products were usually of acceptable quality and priced much lower than the imported firearms, which were being sold here for up to three times their overseas price, largely because of import duties and dealer profits. This direct competition with global manufacturers ensured that the OFB maintained a certain level of quality and price.

A few years ago, a friend found some OFB made 12-bore cartridges in his store, dating from the early 1980s. We took them to the range and tried them against those currently manufactured by OFB: the older lot was far superior in performance, despite lying in storage for almost half a century!

After the 1986 ban on imports, OFB got a virtual monopoly on the manufacture and sale of civilian firearms and ammunition in India. Monopolies are usually never good for customers or the market. This OFB monopoly led to a massive deterioration in quality as well as steady upward price increases of the weapons for civilian sale. The buyer had no other choice.

In the late 1980s the OFB began producing a copy of the Enfield No. 2 revolver (a simplified version of the century-old Webley design) chambered for the .32 S&W Long cartridge. Later on they also added to their product line a semi-automatic pistol, a mish-mash copy of the Browning 1910 and Colt 1903 models. Both of these are currently priced at about a lakh rupees.

By comparison, similar products, made by any of the global manufacturers and of much superior quality, retail overseas for a third or even less – this would include the profit margin of the manufacturer, distributor as well as the retailer.

Take a long look

Will reforming the OFB make a difference? Before we begin to explore if and how corporatisation could help improve the quality of OFB’s products, we should consider another big policy change that came into effect in 2016.

Beginning in 2016, the Government of India began accepting applications for licences for the manufacture of arms and ammunition from private companies. Prior to this, only a few small-scale units had been allowed to manufacture small quantities of shotguns and antiquated muzzle-loaders, and fresh licences for these had not been issued for several decades either.

Several Indian companies have been granted licence to manufacture arms and ammunition in India. However, the focus of almost all of these companies is on government sales, as that is where the big sales volumes lie. Most of these companies have tied up with foreign collaborators and are looking at bringing in their product lines here in order to bid for big military and police contracts.

The vision of the government is a vibrant eco-system of domestic manufacturers who should eventually be able to compete in global markets. The point to consider is that while all of these companies set up facilities in India and compete for a few government tenders, what would happen to the huge investments of those that are unable to win the tender bids?

In countries with a vibrant firearms manufacturing industry, a large part of the industry is sustained by (domestic and export) civilian sales. So, even if a company loses one tender, it continues research and development, all the while staying in business with the support of civilian customers.

When OFB had a monopoly on government orders and a marginal business of civilian sales, these considerations didn’t really matter. But with multiple companies setting up shop in India, the government needs to also take a long and hard look at the policies being followed for the issuance of arms licences to ordinary law-abiding citizens.

All crime statistics underline the fact that licenced firearms do not contribute to crime; if anything, they most often help prevent heinous crimes by offering citizens a real chance to defend themselves.

Without the support of a vibrant civilian firearms market, it is hard to imagine how we can ever hope to become a hub for manufacturing or innovation in this field.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Well written and well argued article, Abhijeet.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:27 pm

Abhijeet,
You have stated what most of us only think and crib about the OFB and its products. :roll: I can't thank you enough (y) , on behalf of everyone of us who is genuinely concerned about the state of affairs. You have covered all the important points and I hope someone at the top is listening.
Regards,
Anand

WhoCantBeNamed
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by WhoCantBeNamed » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:35 pm

Very well written article. Hope someone takes a note.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:41 pm

One cannot dispute the logic of the final summary statement.

The outline of IOF's antiquated products is also sufficient evidence that IOF is not likely to play an active role on the global market.

Looking into the future, it is relatively easy for the government to deal with foreign companies, but somewhat harder to get rid of workers and voters -- I wonder whether the long term intention is to be rid of IOF completely. I cannot see a future for a company that can't fire employees who cannot strike, making and selling poorly made relics. Surely someone setting up this solution has to be aware of what the result of their actions will be.

I am wondering whether this is one more step to a complete elimination all civilian firearm ownership.

Harry S. Truman

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:27 am

Thank you all for your kind words, just trying to do my bit to help :)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:44 am

Let's pitch for privatisation of these newly formed 6 PSUs. Unless they vanish , we are bound to pay for Ashani et al .