Law-Abiding West Virginian Woman With Concealed Firearm Stops A Mass Shooting

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Sun May 29, 2022 12:45 am

"Instead of running from the threat, she engaged with the threat and saved several lives last night," Charleston Police Department Chief of Detectives Tony Hazelett told local news WCHSTV.

Dennis Butler,37, was angered by a group of people hosting a graduation party who told him to slow down through an apartment complex in Charleston. He returned 30 minutes later, parked his vehicle, jumped in the backseat, and discharged his weapon toward the group of 30-40 people.

There were no injuries reported besides the gunman. Police have yet to release the woman's name, though they said she's not part of law enforcement and is just an average law-abiding citizen.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ambi
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Law-Abiding West Virginian Woman With Concealed Firearm Stops A Mass Shooting

Post by Ambi » Sun May 29, 2022 11:34 am

What is the lesson here? Is it
1. Liberal gun laws save lives;
Or
2. Liberal gun laws endanger lives?
It is obvious that liberal gun laws FIRST put innocent lives in danger and THEN, if lucky, a Good Samaritan with gun will appear and save some of them.
Isn't prevention better than cure?

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Law-Abiding West Virginian Woman With Concealed Firearm Stops A Mass Shooting

Post by timmy » Sun May 29, 2022 12:06 pm

Here is another version of the incident"

A woman legally carrying a pistol fatally shot a man who opened fire in a crowd of people attending a graduation party in Charleston, West Virginia, on Wednesday, police said.

WCHS reported that Dennis Butler was killed after he allegedly began shooting at people with an AR-15-style rifle during a graduation party near the Vista View Apartment complex at 1300 Renaissance Circle. Law enforcement said the woman immediately engaged and neutralized the threat that could have led to a “mass casualty” incident.

“This lady was carrying a lawful firearm … a law abiding citizen who stopped the threat of probably 20 to 30 people being killed. She engaged the threat and stopped it. She didn’t run from the threat. She engaged it, preventing a mass casualty here in Charleston,” Charleston Police Department Chief of Detectives Tony Hazelett said.

While few details were provided about the incident, police said the shooter had an extensive criminal history and were unsure how he obtained the firearm. An investigation also revealed that the shooter had been approached earlier that night about speeding through the area of the party where children were playing.

“There was a graduation party, a party with kids,” Hazelett said, estimating that dozens of people were at the event. “So obviously somebody just graduated high school and another birthday party. We could have had a casualty shooting there.”

Hazelett said the woman will not be charged. No one else was injured during the attack.

Multiple witnesses agreed to fully cooperate with the investigation, which will be reviewed by the Kanawha County Prosecutor’s office.

WCHS reporter Danielle Dindak first reported the shooting on Twitter Wednesday evening.

“SHOOTING – First responders tell me one person was shot here at Renaissance Circle. The person was taken to the hospital. Their condition is unknown. I’m working to find out if anyone is in custody. MORE DETAILS TO COME,” she tweeted.

SHOOTING – First responders tell me one person was shot here at Renaissance Circle.
The person was taken to the hospital. Their condition is unknown.
I'm working to find out if anyone is in custody.
MORE DETAILS TO COME @wchs8fox11 pic.twitter.com/nB7D7sdgRd

— Danielle Dindak (@danielledindak) May 26, 2022
While a private citizen in West Virginia risked her life to stop a shooter carrying an AR-15-style rifle, a Texas Department of Public Safety official said officers at the scene of the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde, Texas, didn’t immediately enter the school and neutralize the threat because “they could’ve been shot.”

“They are receiving gunshots. At that point, if they proceeded any further not knowing where the suspect was at, they could’ve been shot, they could’ve been killed, and that gunman would have had an opportunity to kill other people inside that school.”
From this, I would note:

1. It was not clear how the criminal obtained the weapon, thus it is unclear what sort of law could have prevented the danger he put 20 to 30 people into.

2. Given that the criminal was said to have "an extensive criminal history," it is unlikely that he obtained the gun legally, but even if he did, the law certainly didn't keep innocent people safe. Therefore, I would conclude that the most effective prevention in this incident was the one that was applied: a citizen's bullet.

3. No law or set of laws can guarantee anyone's safety from evil-doers absolutely.

4. While we don't know how the criminal obtained his gun, how depriving the citizen who used a legally obtained firearm from having a gun could be considered prevention in this cases escapes me completely

5. When a person with criminal and'/or evil intent threatens one, having the threatened person surrender their means of personal protection seems to me to be a lesson to consider here: who is the criminal: the person committing or threatening the deed, the person or organization who deprives an innocent citizen the right to protect themselves, or both?

Truly, there are a number perspectives to consider and a number of lessons to be learned.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by KDS991213 » Sun May 29, 2022 1:35 pm

Ambi wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:34 am
What is the lesson here? Is it
1. Liberal gun laws save lives;
Or
2. Liberal gun laws endanger lives?
It is obvious that liberal gun laws FIRST put innocent lives in danger and THEN, if lucky, a Good Samaritan with gun will appear and save some of them.
Isn't prevention better than cure?
I'm pretty sure that the Liberal American gun laws do not permit convicted felons like the mass shooter to acquire or possess firearms.