.45 ACP ammo

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

.45 ACP ammo

Post by marksman » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:54 pm

Does India manufactures .45ACP ammunition or does any independent firm intends making them in near future since a lot of manufacturers have jumped into the bandwagon of making pistols in this caliber.

Marksman

For Advertising mail webmaster
asifalikhanasif
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: .45 ACP ammo

Post by asifalikhanasif » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:27 pm

SIAL Arms will manufacture .45 ammo very soon,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." - The God Father

EkManushya
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by EkManushya » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:50 pm

this is good news

indogunfreak
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by indogunfreak » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:41 pm

They don't have a magazine licence under Explosive Rules to store powder and produce ammunition. The existing facility they have couldn't even store 50 Kgs of gun powder. I wonder how will they manufacture 45 ammo even if they source the ammunition components.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:09 am

This ammunition business is a thorny one, even when we don't include a political discussion about entry into the market.

We can divide things into three categories: primers, powder, and brass (or steel).

For the overall picture, we must remember that there is a war going on between Ukraine and Russia, and a lot of supplies are being shipped from other nations into that conflict, whether the supplies are finished or raw.

The COVID event has broken the supply chain of the globalist system that has existed, and supply chain issues are still with us to a large degree.

Trade issues are becoming trickier.

For primers, various raw materials are sourced from the USA, Mexico, China, Brazil, and various European sources. One material, Strontium Oxalate, SrC2O4 is a compound used in pyrotechnics that is sourced in India, among other places.

For powder, much of it is made in Australia, which still has COVID restrictions, resulting in limitations on cargo shipments. I understand that nitrates, which are a key component in all gunpowders, is in short supply.

For brass, there are global shortages in copper, and while I'm not aware of the specific situation regarding metals like zinc and tin, I would not be surprised to find that they are also affected by various limitations.

Having said this, I'm sure that you can imagine, if you are not familiar with, the machinery needed to stamp and form a brass cartridge case from a slug of metal. This isn't something that can be done in "Khyber Pass" fashion by hand, if any sort of production level and reasonable pricing and marketing are contemplated.

I'm more familiar with the USA, where ammunition is now made by two companies and also supplied by imports. Russian ammo has been banned by decree, and of course, Ukrainian sources have dried up. European sources, like Sellier & Bellot and PPU / Prvi Partisan are not available in large quantities (for whatever reason, but I suspect the Ukraine War plays some part here). The shelves of my local gun stores are pretty well stocked, but to give you an idea of the current situation, cheap 9mm used to be available for 9¢ to 10¢ a round. Now, the going price is more like 80¢ to $1.20 a round. Our ammo companies (two of them) have bought up government production facilities and their competitors (the latest being bankrupt Remington), so they can firstly focus on the popular ammo and secondly control the production rate and demand whatever price they think they can get away with -- a situation somewhat similar to the old IOF monopoly.

indogunfreak has pointed out an issue, and if this is the case, whatever kind of production can result from such limited means will be limited in quantity and nearly unlimited in price for some time. As 45 Auto pistols enter the market, makers and suppliers will be charging whatever they can to maximize profits and it will be a long time, if ever, before prices come down to what we might term as "reasonable."
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:38 am

timmy, you can now buy fresh Indian ammo.in USA.

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:07 pm

Very heartening to see the Indian made ammunition being exported for civilian use in the USA.
Though as per my observation their is generally a difference in quality,
Between what is meant to be consumed in the domestic market and that which is meant for export.
Export quality always being superior, primarily due to the stringent compliance policies.
Their is a minimum basic quality standard for export, from Tea to Whisky.
That which does not qualify for export can easily be dispatched in the domestic market.
I don't mean to be critical but this is what we face in India.
Hopefully the case will not be true for Firearms and Ammunition.
With the Government encouraging 'Make In India', the technological advances will be introduced and incorporated in production.
Raw materials which are cheaper to source in India will induce in setting up, of manufacturing units, within the country.
In future companies like S&W, Colt etc. may find it lucrative to manufacture in India and export.
Several popular brands (not related to Arms) are already manufacturing in India, Vietnam etc. and after labeling the products,
They openly import and then re-export to other countries.
This practice is most prominent in the fashion industry.
It is a matter of time when the .45 ACP and various other popular calibers will be manufactured in India.

Regards,
Jr.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:40 pm

Winnie, I haven't seen that ammo for sale in stores or online, but then, that may not mean very much.

Jr, quality, depending on the level of it, may not mean much. The formerly available Russian ammo, such as "Wolf" brand, wasn't always noted for accuracy or being the cleanest shooting stuff, and most who used it made sure to clean up after shooting, not knowing the sort of priming that was used in this ammo. (Here, I will note that I had a preference for Barnaul ammo, as it was some of the best shooting factory stuff I've shot!)

For practice at the range, quantity may be better than quality in some situations.

I don't shoot 5.56 as shown, but I would definitely give a box of 45 Auto a lookover, and I would also welcome anyone importing this stuff.

Hint: if anyone associated with making this in India reads this post, consider importing primers! I believe a record level demand exists for decent quality, low priced primers!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:20 pm

A domestic loader is considering loading 45ACP ammo as the prices are way higher than the international market and justify the tooling.

Lets wait and watch.
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."