UK Brigadier arrested for carrying a pocket toolkit

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
mehulkamdar

UK Brigadier arrested for carrying a pocket toolkit

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:55 pm

Article link

MoD arms expert fumes at "farce" of confiscated toolkit
Steve Bird

Offensive weapon was two-inch knife

Former brigadier held for four hours

It's a Boy's Own gift that will be stuffed into thousands of Christmas stockings, but a retired brigadier has discovered that the credit card-sized toolkit - complete with 5cm (2in) blade, compass, tweezers and toothpick - could put the recipients on the wrong side of the law.
Tom Foulkes, 56, who spent 35 years working for the Ministry of Defence developing real weapons, was arrested, locked up and had his fingerprints and DNA sample taken after the kit was discovered in his overnight bag by police.

The former Royal Engineer was preparing to board a Paris-bound train at Waterloo when an X-ray machine alarm was triggered by the toolkit. He was hauled from the station, placed in a cage in a van and taken to a police station for questioning. Four hours later he was released and cautioned after admitting to possessing an offensive weapon; Mr Foulkes had seen it as something with which to sharpen pencils and cut off luggage labels, and that his wife occasionally used to pluck her eyebrows.

Mr Foulkes aired his grievance in a letter to The Times. Yesterday he revealed more about his ordeal. "The whole thing was an absolute farce," he said. "I'm now on the police database. They have photographs of me and records of my DNA and my fingerprints, all because I was carrying this useful little tool."

Now director general of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Mr Foulkes was on a business trip to Paris when the officers arrested him. "I was bundled into the cage of a police van and taken to Tottenham Court Road custody centre," he said. "My former rank seems to be the only thing that saved me from being handcuffed."

The "multitool" was sent to a knife destruction centre in North London.

Mr Foulkes has now written to the Chief Constable of the British Transport Police to express his concern. "I want him to tell me if he thinks it is a sensible use of his officers' time," he said. "Surely they are trained to use some discretion and could see that I wasn't a threat to anyone?

"I travel all over the world on business, to places such as Pakistan and parts of Africa, where a little tool like this is invaluable. If I had accidentally packed it in my hand luggage, airport security would probably have just taken it out of my bag and thrown it away and I'd be on my way. I can't imagine that I would have been arrested."

The transport police said that the officers used their discretion during the arrest and deemed the gadget to be a concealed weapon, prohibited under the Prevention of Crime Act 1953.

Mr Foulkes, who lives with his wife, Sally, in Fleet, Hampshire, is annoyed that he did not stand his ground over the issue. "I was polite throughout the experience, but after the event I realised that the right way of dealing with it would have been to say, 'I'll see you in court', and to have argued it out there, instead of accepting the caution. The whole thing took up about four hours of police time. I dread to think what that cost the taxpayer."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: UK Brigadier arrested for carrying a pocket toolkit

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:49 pm

Oh food grief - here we go again ! I presume that they thought the Brigadier was going to attack someone with the pair of tweezers ? !
I don`t believe that there is any problem with carrying a 2" blade - I think that this `toolkit` is probably one of the Swiss Army Knife `credit card` type devices with the blade held within the `card`.
Only thing that I can think of is that London Transport or Eurostar have a prohibition against carrying any type of blade.
Bureaucracy gone mad yet again.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 pm

Should'nt it be in the 'Humour' section. Saw a photo, in yesterdays newspaper ,of Blair recieving an antique gun as a gift from our friendly neighbourhood dictator Gen. Mush of the land of the pure.

penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:56 pm

Grumpy,

Sadly, this kind of madness is happening everywhere. A young mother travelling from the US with a baby had some milk for the child in a bottle, she had taken it out using a breast pump. The airport Nazis at JFK made her drink it to prove that she was not carrying any liquid explosive. Last I heard, she was planning to sue, backed by the ACLU.

penpusher,

I would have posted it in the Humour Section if it wasn't as sad as it is. The idea of a Service Officer being arrested on a ridiculous charge like this one is definitely not funny.

Can you find a picture of Turdy Boy receiving the gun from Musgy Baba? I have friends in the UK who would be able to make very good use of it. :wink:

Mehul

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:44 pm

penpusher,
What else can Blair get in P land? a subliminal/freudian slip from Mush obviously? What was it? a gold plated 74 series?
Poor Brig got tossed in the brig-wake up and smell the coffee everyone.
I was standing in Q near the Empire state elevators in Jun when the metal detectors went off- a young kid, about 18, calmly pulled out a biggish folder from his hip pocket and the even calmer attendant took it and gave him a receipt.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:58 am

?!?!?! I hadn`t heard about that.
Oh I really want a picture of Blair holding his new pistol !
- He ought to be arrested on his return for transporting an unlicensed ( unlicensable ! ) pistol !

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:09 am

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:30 am

Um......Yeah. No political capital to be made out of that unfortunately.
- You wouldn`t believe how disappointed I am !

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:32 pm

mehulkamdar";p="6290 wrote:Article link

MoD arms expert fumes at ‘farce’ of confiscated toolkit
Steve Bird

Offensive weapon was two-inch knife

Former brigadier held for four hours

It’s a Boy’s Own gift that will be stuffed into thousands of Christmas stockings, but a retired brigadier has discovered that the credit card-sized toolkit — complete with 5cm (2in) blade, compass, tweezers and toothpick — could put the recipients on the wrong side of the law.
Tom Foulkes, 56, who spent 35 years working for the Ministry of Defence developing real weapons, was arrested, locked up and had his fingerprints and DNA sample taken after the kit was discovered in his overnight bag by police.

The former Royal Engineer was preparing to board a Paris-bound train at Waterloo when an X-ray machine alarm was triggered by the toolkit. He was hauled from the station, placed in a cage in a van and taken to a police station for questioning. Four hours later he was released and cautioned after admitting to possessing an offensive weapon; Mr Foulkes had seen it as something with which to sharpen pencils and cut off luggage labels, and that his wife occasionally used to pluck her eyebrows.

Mr Foulkes aired his grievance in a letter to The Times. Yesterday he revealed more about his ordeal. “The whole thing was an absolute farce,” he said. “I’m now on the police database. They have photographs of me and records of my DNA and my fingerprints, all because I was carrying this useful little tool.”

Now director general of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Mr Foulkes was on a business trip to Paris when the officers arrested him. “I was bundled into the cage of a police van and taken to Tottenham Court Road custody centre,” he said. “My former rank seems to be the only thing that saved me from being handcuffed.”

The “multitool” was sent to a knife destruction centre in North London.

Mr Foulkes has now written to the Chief Constable of the British Transport Police to express his concern. “I want him to tell me if he thinks it is a sensible use of his officers’ time,” he said. “Surely they are trained to use some discretion and could see that I wasn’t a threat to anyone?

“I travel all over the world on business, to places such as Pakistan and parts of Africa, where a little tool like this is invaluable. If I had accidentally packed it in my hand luggage, airport security would probably have just taken it out of my bag and thrown it away and I’d be on my way. I can’t imagine that I would have been arrested.”

The transport police said that the officers used their discretion during the arrest and deemed the gadget to be a concealed weapon, prohibited under the Prevention of Crime Act 1953.

Mr Foulkes, who lives with his wife, Sally, in Fleet, Hampshire, is annoyed that he did not stand his ground over the issue. “I was polite throughout the experience, but after the event I realised that the right way of dealing with it would have been to say, ‘I’ll see you in court’, and to have argued it out there, instead of accepting the caution. The whole thing took up about four hours of police time. I dread to think what that cost the taxpayer.”
reminds me of RAMBO I -First Blood...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Grumpy,
Looks like a frontier jezail I think-sorry, bit OT
Thanks Sharief.
best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."