How many guns can I own with 1 license?

Posts related to shotguns.
nikitagupta2106
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

How many guns can I own with 1 license?

Post by nikitagupta2106 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 am

Asking for a friend.

In the state of Manipur, it is a general understanding that only 1 gun is allowed for 1 license. However, as per Arms Act, I believe 2 guns are allowed for 1 license.

My friend spoke to a high-ranking police officer in Manipur and he said "one license one gun" and when asked for a source, "trust me, bro" was the response.

His dad already has a gun license and is renewed till 2024. It does not mention anywhere about the number of guns the license is valid for.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Chengy
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: How many guns can I own with 1 license?

Post by Chengy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:11 pm

As per latest regulations you can have two weapons entered on your licence. However, you have to apply for each individually.

nikitagupta2106
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nikitagupta2106 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:44 am

Thanks. That's the same as getting a new license in that case?

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:20 am

Actually the rule is that one person can have two weapons on one license. Central government wants it to be like this and therefore they created UIN no. system and said that one person will get one UIN no. only.

But many times State governments don’t listen to Central Government and there is no one in Central Government to check whether the rules are being followed or not.

As per rules Arms licenses should be renewed for five years but in many states (like Madhya Pardesh) they are still being renewed for three years.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:32 am

One person can own two licenced firearms in India.

In Uttar Pradesh, a separate Licence Book is issued for each firearm. That is probably true of Manipur also. Confusion arises when the term Licence Book is referred to colloquially as a "Licence". In UP, two Licence Books would be issued to an owner of two licenced firearms.

The intending owner of two firearms would have to apply separately for each firearm and if each application is successful, he or she would Be issued two Licence Books. You can call them two Licences if you like.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

nikitagupta2106
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nikitagupta2106 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:19 pm

There used to be a booklet but now, it is just some A4 sheets printed saying it is renewed untill 2024.

In one of the A4 sheets issued by the DC, the gun details are mentioned. However, there's no mention that only 1 gun is allowed. This is confusing.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:58 pm

Booklet or printed A4 size sheets, up to two arms are allowed to a licencee. The second licence will have to be applied for and may be issued as another set of printouts on A4 size sheets.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

ruger_rugged
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ruger_rugged » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:16 pm

AL in Maharashtra are also being renewed for 3 years.

nikitagupta2106
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nikitagupta2106 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:37 pm

miroflex wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:58 pm
Booklet or printed A4 size sheets, up to two arms are allowed to a licencee. The second licence will have to be applied for and may be issued as another set of printouts on A4 size sheets.
So this second gun license must be applied through the DC's office as usual? What's the procedure?

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm

You are absolutely right. The same procedure has to followed as in the case of the licence already issued.

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Before ascertaining actual position regarding the subject we must bear following points in consideration :

A thing can be done or can't be done , only in accordance of any specific provision of law • Also , it does not take much intelligence to know that if you are willing to spend , the burden of finding an appropriate rule is assumed by the Babus themselves •

Arms rules 2016 have been further amended in 2020 by a notification of central government • The effect of this amendment is - persons holding an arms license for prohibited bore weapons and family heirloom categories can hold maximum of 2 weapons in respective categories and others can hold 3 weapons under one UIN given to the license holder •

See this ••••• https://www.scconline.com/blog/post/202 ... by-centre/
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Hello Every one,
Actually, the Arms Act Amendment of 2019, restricted the number of firearms a licensee can hold to two (earlier it was three). These Rules which came subsequently in 2020 were also amended to bring on par with the earlier amended Act.

Neither the Act nor the Rules specify that the restrictions are applicable to inherited firearms or prohibited bore alone. The two firearm limit applies to all firearms for all licensees. The exception to this is if you are an aspiring shooter/renowned shooter/ International Medalist/Arjuna Awaradee (in Shooting) by Exemption in a Gazette Notification. In fact there was confusion as to whether the (now) 3rd firearm, namely .22 Rifle for Target Practice is still allowed for NRAI members.

There is an ongoing case that is set to come up before the end of the month where in a licensee pleaded that the firearms should not be restricted to two as they are private property and that there is no data to show that this restriction is in anyway beneficial in curbing crime or illegal activities.
Regards,
Anand

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Anand wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm
...... .

Neither the Act nor the Rules specify that the restrictions are applicable to inherited firearms or prohibited bore alone. The two firearm limit applies to all firearms for all licensees. ..........
Anand
Please go through the Amendment , I have shared the link . Theres no confusion at all , in the law on the subject . However there does ecist confusion in Babu minds and surely surely they're above the law most of the time .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:04 pm

Hello Woods,
I have gone through the shared link and the amendment. Could you please highlight the specific points with regard to:
The effect of this amendment is - persons holding an arms license for prohibited bore weapons and family heirloom categories can hold maximum of 2 weapons in respective categories and others can hold 3 weapons under one UIN given to the license holder •
Which specific Rule or part of the Act confirms the above?
Thanks,
Anand

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:42 pm

Anand wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm
In fact there was confusion as to whether the (now) 3rd firearm, namely .22 Rifle for Target Practice is still allowed for NRAI members.
Third weapon as .22 rifle is allowed for NRAI members.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.