Handling Recoil of F.N Browning A5 Semi Automatic

Posts related to shotguns.
Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Handling Recoil of F.N Browning A5 Semi Automatic

Post by Reddick » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:19 am

Hello My Dear Friends ,

I have owned a F.N Browning A5 Semi Auto Gun Model - 1978 , or later , may be.
And it works just great. But , only with one problem and that is that it generates a higher degree of recoil while shooting and reloading the next cartridge :o For which my right shoulder got a grave shock!
It has an old wooden butt stock with a choke in it's barrel and I think , the same may have both positive and negative effects :roll:
Okay , so please tell me that how can I deal with the recoil of the Gun?
And what may be the possible solutions for it?
Thanks a lot for your kind concern :)

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Handling Recoil of F.N Browning A5 Semi Automatic

Post by timmy » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm

The A5 has a long recoil operating system, and this means that the impact of the bolt and barrel recoiling is added to the initial recoil of firing.

I can suggest three things you might try:

1. If you can find lower power shells (sometimes called "light loads") this may help.

An Example of light loads. Notice it says "Light Target Load" on the box. I realize that this particular ammunition may not be available to you, but it is an example of what you might be able to find.

2. You can wear a pad on your shoulder, either one made for this purpose or one you fashion yourself, that will absorb some recoil and also spread it across a wider area. I use one of these that includes a piece of closed cell dense foam for shooting high power rifles from the bench, and it works well.

PAST recoil pad

3. You can have a rubber cushion butt pad fitted to the buttstock of your A5. The downside to this is that some require modification of your shotgun. If you choose this, be sure that the original angle of the buttplate is preserved, and be sure to get a good brand of pad. High temperatures and humidity may cause cheaper ones to disintegrate over time. The Pachmayr brand is a good one, if you can find them in India.

These are available as a slip on type, that requires no modification:

Or there are types that require permanent installation:

“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 am

Thank you 'Timmy' for your valuable suggestions :)
Well , the light load cartridges may be difficult to find here everytime before shooting and all and I want to keep my classic butt stock in it's original condition.
So left with the shoulder recoil pad , I think this is the one I was looking for it :D
I will go for the shoulder recoil pad but was not able to find any good online sales website :(
Could you please suggest me good website or app to explore for the recoil pad :?:
Thanks Again :)

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:36 am

Reddick wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 am
Could you please suggest me good website or app to explore for the recoil pad :?:
Now we come to the thorniest part of dealing with your issue: how to get something shipped to India. Over a number of years, this problem has repeatedly come up, and in large part the problem has to do with two things: 1.) India's very strict anti-gun laws makes getting anything associated with shooting into the country very difficult, and 2.) The capricious nature of officials administering laws, especially in this case, import laws, makes it very difficult to determine whether whatever is shipped will make it or not -- one time it may, and another time it may not.

I can make two suggestions here, but CANNOT promise you that either will be successful. They are:

1. Midsouth Shooter's Supply - This (https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... onalorders) is their page that deals with international orders. I would suggest that you read it carefully and contact them before you order.

2. Amazon - Amazon does list recoil pads. I know that they do ship to India, but whether a recoil pad is one of the things that they will ship is the issue. I changed the "ship to" part of the site to India, and it indicates that you might have a chance for success.

Notes:

I have dealt with Midsouth and they are one of the four companies that I normally deal with for such articles, and the only one that I could find that would ship internationally. I have found them to be reputable, and they are well-known. But shipping to India, as I've come to learn over the years, is a very tricky business.

For either vendor's site, I searched on "recoil pad" to find the type of shoulder pad we are discussing. The search will include these, but also the sort that attaches to the buttstock of the gun. You will have to search through the products to find the shoulder pad type.

My recoil pad is the "PAST" brand, so that is the only product to which I can personally attest. It seems as if PAST has been bought out by Caldwell, a firm that has bought up a lot of small companies and added their products to their offerings. I have some small experience with Caldwell products, and that has been OK. Amazon lists a number of other brands of strap on shoulder pads. I cannot tell you anything about those, either good or bad.

I cannot guarantee anything to you in this matter, especially in the area of getting something shipped to India. All I can say is "good luck," as I hope that you can resume enjoying shooting your A5 Browning. I wish that I had one!

Harry S. Truman

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:41 am

Browning Auto 5 is in my family. It has a adjustable recoil system. Friction rings can be tuned for magnum, standard or low charge 12ga cartridges.
If you tune it properly, it shoots very well.
James.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:37 am

Please read the original poster's post again. He is complaining that the gun kinks too hard and is uncomfortable to shoot.

The feature you describe in the A5 is not to reduce the felt recoil when shooting the gun. Rather, as you mention, the gun is adjustable so that the long recoil action functions properly with heavy, medium, and light loads. Adjusting the mechanism is for this purpose, not for reducing the "kick" when the gun is fired.

Harry S. Truman

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Yes, it's clear now.
James.

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Okay Guys ,
I was looking for both online and offline sources to fulfill my requirement.
So , offline mode is very thin to discover as I have to travel from places to places to find the correct match.
Now , online is the good one and I have seen that Amazon.com (USA) would initiate it's Black Friday Sales soon :D
I have narrow down some pads , both for butt stock and for shoulder , which may be shipped to India.
Just a couple of days of patience till the Sale may got live :roll:
If some one have any more inputs , please share here for assistance :)

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:37 pm

Hello Again Friends ,

So , as the Black Friday Sale has gone live on online stores in US and other countries , I had , today , ordered a slip-on 'classic look' butt stock recoil pad from Limbsaver site and a shoulder recoil pad from Amazon.com of US for my F.N Browning A5 Gun.
Both of the products were eligible for 'shipped to India' and , according to them , the products may reach to me by the first week of December :roll:
Now , even there was a sale , but both of the products costs me around Rs. 8000 /- including the product's actual price + shipping and handling charges + import fees and taxes as the payment was made in Dollars converted into Rupees currency :shock:
But , the only relief is that I had somehow managed to choose the correct product for my Gun and had saved some Rs. 2500 /- due to the sale :|
Further , I may restraint myself from spending so much bucks on just <i>accessories</i> , but I did not find a correct and an effective product on Indian sites and stores for which I am searching from such a long period :(
Anyways , it was a nice experience and now I am waiting for my purchases to be delivered to me :)
I hope you may find the story good and if anybody wants to buy these kinds of items for their firearms , then , I think , this is the right time to go for :idea:
Thanks a lot for going through all this :mrgreen: and please share your thoughts on my walkthroughs.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:14 pm

All I can say about it is that it was my most favorite shotgun. I do not ever remember it having failed on me. It was a light 12 2 3/4" chamber gun built around in late 70's and I would never have parted with it if the arms rule didn't amend the rules to one year renewal for semi autos then. I miss it terribly although it was replaced by H&H royal Ejector 12 Bore. I am still looking for t in as good condition as when I had it.

Marksman

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:47 am

Oh! Thank you for your loyal words for this very Gun 😍
It is , indeed , a masterpiece.
Now , the products which I had ordered from U.S were kept 'on hold' for the want of KYC documents from my end by the Customs Department 😕
Currently , I'm busy collecting and uploading the required documents before the Customs Department and then let's see what may be happened thereafter 🧐

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Hello Gun Lovers ,

Today , I got mail from the courier company that my shoulder recoil pad has been cleared from Delhi Airport Customs and will be delivered to me by a week 😏
Hope , I may put my hands upon it 😗

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:59 am

Alright , I got my both parts many days ago but not able to update the good news 🤩

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:09 am

Reddick, it's great to hear that you got the stuff you need for that A5.

Whenever you get the chance to try it out, please let us know. I have been thinking about you and your situation.

Thanks!

Harry S. Truman

Reddick
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Reddick » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:03 pm

Hello Timmy ,
First of all , sorry for not replying you.
And secondly , I will surely upload the material of the parts received by me :)