The IOF 12Bore Pump Action Gun - A Short "Dry-Fire" Review

Posts related to shotguns.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

The IOF 12Bore Pump Action Gun - A Short "Dry-Fire" Review

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Ok Gentlemen, were back with brief review of another IOF product... on the same grimy weathered old table :)

About a month back I had an opportunity to play around with another bunch of Police weapons. I ended up mostly not having the time to cobble together a writeup.

Anyway here again , I take it as an honor to present to the gun community, the IOF 12 Bore Pump Action Gun. This is the official factory nomenclature of the shot gun. Owing to it's short appearance in the civilian market in the later half of the 90's....and its subsequent pull back to government and approved agencies only, the Indian Pump Action is a bit of an enigma....though with none of that 'holy-grail' aura around it.

First things first - Its description.

The rather tepid description below is not mine but a copy-paste from the IOF webpage... so don't laugh at me.

As per factory literature http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/6.htm

"The 12 Bore Pump Action Gun has been specially developed for use as a security weapon. It is a single barrel breach loading weapon superior to 12 Bore DBBL. It is provided with a tubular magazine, which holds 4 nos. of 12 Bore Cartridges and is placed parallel to and below the barrel. Extraction, loading and cocking of the cartridges take place in a single 'pump action' by operating handle, sliding along the magazine. Due to rapid reloading by pump action and spread of shots, it is an ideal weapon for counter ambush tactics"

Specifications:

Weapon - Single barrel breech Loading
Caliber- 12 Bore (12Ga to the more American oriented)
Chamber - 70mm (2 -3/4")
Length of barrel-
(i) civilian use - 510mm (20") NPB
(II) Military/Police - 478mm (18") PB
Ammunition - 12 Bore 2.5" OR 12 Bore 2.75"
Magazine capacity - 4 Rounds
Weight - 3.05kgs

APPLICATIONS :
# Banks security
# Anti insurgent applications
# Industrial security
# Personal security
# Sporting Arm
# Anti Riot role by use of Rubber Ball non-lethal ammunition

Well that, so far, is what the factory says.

For those who aren't aware, this weapon appeared in the mid 1990's in two versions- civilian NPB version (20" Barrel) and military/police PB version (18"Barrel). It was available at about Rs.25,000/- for government organizations (Police/Forest/Prisons etc) and approximately retailed at about Rs.40,000 in the civilian
market. It apparently sold well in the Bank Security guard niche. Then for inexplicable reasons, within a few years of its introduction, the gun was withdrawn from the civilian market. All kinds of stories abound about why, but the one that sticks the most is that a number of the 18"(PB) version, inadvertently ended up in the civilian market....it seems to have been a mistake... and rather than take the trouble to think and take corrective measures the bureaucrats simply and quite typically, closed the door... another story goes that some influential and whiny babus actually saw the weapon as too lethal to be in civilian hands... I don't know which is true but since then, the so called civilian version is available only for bank security guards, PSUs and empanelled private security agencies. The Military and Police versions continue to be available to appropriate market. Many State Prisons use these guns.

The version I'm presenting here is the 18" Barrel version in Police Service. It was manufactured at the GCF (Gun Carriage Factory) Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.

I was in the middle of another mini-project so I didn't have the time to disassemble the gun to check its innards. So most of what I disseminate here-forth is based on external examination and peeking inside through all available ports. None of the armorers knew how to disassemble the thing and none had received any instruction/training in the same. No manuals were available as well. So presumably none of these guns had ever been disassembled for maintenance for the 4-5 years they've been in service!

To start with, as with any Indian 'designed' and manufactured firearm, one should seek to check on its pedigree. In the case of the IOF PAG, an external examination and some logical deductions derived from the positions of pins and other parts, the gun seems to be very closely based on the Mossberg 500 series.

The stock particularly the 'pistol' grip area bears some elements of some clumsy designing/copying. A close up of the stock below:

The stock is also rather skinny. Early versions appear to have had wooden stocks which progressed to fiber-glass/plastic permutations in that hideous and all too familiar brick-red/saffron. Currently, it is available only in a coarsely molded plastic matte black with stippled grip areas. IOF displays in various defense expos showed PAGs with pistol grips and side folding skeleton stocks. I've never seen them in actual use. They could have been simply fitted with parts from gunaccessory.com http://www.gunaccessory.com/accessories/default.htm

The fore grip is a generic cylindrical type with radial grooves. Very poorly mounted with rotational play of about 10-15 degrees in some of the well used guns.

The receiver is made of some aluminium alloy that's either investment cast or entirely machined from billets - I did not have the time to examine this aspect but my assumption is that it's the former as it involves lesser wastage of material and also means lesser machining time and effort... which suits the work ethics of a governmental setup. The trigger guard module appears to be die-cast alloy.

The safety catch, like on the Mossberg 500, is mounted on the top rear slope of the receiver and can be easily accessed and operated by either thumb. It is neither serrated nor checkered but simply has four flat 'steps' on either end to pronounce its taper and looks to have been face-milled on a simple lathe. To operate, its simply forward for safe and back for fire. The Safety catch is illustrated below:

Operation of the action is no different from any other pump action shotgun. Like on the Mossberg 500, an automatic action lock keeps the action and the slide locked until the chambered round has been fired. The action lock projects downward every the action is cycled and cocked. It is located on the left hand side just behind the trigger guard (Red Circle in the picture)

To eject the unfired round/dud or operate the slide action without firing, one has to depress this projection upwards into the receiver. This unlatches the action and frees it up for cycling.

Very similar to the Mossberg 500, the breech is locked by a pivoted locking piece or 'wedge' that swings on the vertical plane. It locks upwards into a recess in the upper part of the barrel extension. Sliding the fore-grip rearwards causes the locking piece to pivot downwards by way of angled surfaces and unlocks the breech for extraction. The picture below shows the action in the rearmost position:

The barrel is obviously steel and is fairly substantial. It is very poorly finished with deep machine marks in several places. The barrel below:

The muzzle, on close inspection, almost looks like it was cut to length with a hack saw and left at that.... no finishing. The muzzle end of the 18" Military/Police version has an additional collar about an inch in length. Two length wise bayonet-lock slots are machined on this collar and is positioned at approximately 45 degrees, the other being diametrically opposite. Take a look at the picture.

This is obviously for some kind of muzzle attachment like grenade launching cups, line throwers, or large baton type projectiles... No one seems to be aware of any attachment supplied by the factory for such a use. There is no such product on the IOFB website as well. Perhaps it is again an export oriented feature

Curiously, the PAG is equipped with both front and rear sights. The rear is a "v" notch type on a small "L" stepped block that appears to have been both dovetailed and soldered on to the barrel close to the breech. Check out the rear sight in the picture and not that the "V" notch has been cut way off center to the right.

The front sight is a squarish block that has a simple ramped post with a total height of about half inch. This is also attached by way of a shallow dovetail and some apparent soldering.

Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't have the time to actually disassemble the thing but on careful inspection of its construction and arrangement of parts, I assume it wouldn't differ much from the Mossberg 500.

Cycle the action and visually inspect the gun to make sure its safely unloaded and holds no cartridge/s within its tubular magazine or cartridge lifter or chamber. I'm assuming you leave the action in the rear most position and proceed to take it apart. Like the Mossberg, you need to unscrew the end cap (also called take down screw) in the forward extremity of the tube magazine (red circle)

Here one will face a minor problem as this end cap screw is again secured and kept in place by a tiny grub screw... and I mean tiny.... ridiculously tiny. Poorly counter-sunk and fitted at that.(Blue Arrow) It tends to be very tight and with a shallow slot, a careless screwdriver and a horrendous burr is not far away... not to mention the weapon is mostly un-strippable until that little beast is somehow driven out. Not something that's welcome in the field. Anyway, that little annoyance aside, you unscrew the end cap, pull the barrel forward and out it comes with the breech extension and magazine tube support pillar. That being done, you then proceed to slide the fore-grip forward and the breech block, locking piece, action bars fore grip assemblies, all come off the front of the receiver. This is the basic take down for the field and one shouldn't attempt taking it apart further outside the armory or home. Driving the cross pins on the receiver gets the trigger/feed control module out.

Below is the bottom view that clearly shows the sheet metal cartridge elevator.

The metal parts all come painted with black enamel from the factory. I don't know if this is baked enamel or simply hardware store variety enamel but it flakes off rapidly Take a look at the pictures.

I thought the aluminium receiver was anodized black it could have been paint as well... in the hurry that I was in, I failed to take this into account- I'll confirm this later.

As regards ammunition, the 1992 Government of India ban on civilian use of any shot size larger than 5mm for whatever ill considered reason seems to have gotten the bureaucracy pretty befuddled. The Defense ministry (Ordinance Factories) manufactures something and the Home Ministry bans the same... That's how the government functions. The Ordinance Factories, as such, don't manufacture any useful combat loads like 00 buck shot or otherwise, even for government use. All I see everywhere is No.4 shot...I was also told the police (at least where I visited) receives only paper cartridges in No.4 and smaller. I'm told now that No4 shot is also in short supply in the civilian market.

As regards reliability, I was told the IOF PAG is okay. I suspect that is because they are not fired too often and simply carried around a lot.

Well, this review is indeed brief as I couldn't dissect the weapon and I hope to append a more detailed write up as and when I get the chance to do so.

Bottom line - another unoriginal mediocre turkey further skewed up by half-witted marketing policies.

I'm sure there are still many old civilian pieces floating around. If any IFG member encounters one, please don't hesitate to contact me with detailed pictures if possible...or simply add to this tread
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

For Advertising mail webmaster
m24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The IOF 12Bore Pump Action Gun - A Short Review

Post by m24 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Did you fire this piece??

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 pm

m24 wrote:Did you fire this piece??

Regards

Nope... unfortunately the place where I get to handle these pieces is about 25Kms of hill road away from the nearest firing range.

Hope to do so sometime soon.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Then, we would have a complete review. :)

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:28 pm

:shock: :shock: This is what the factory with the biggest infrastructure is producing?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: The IOF 12Bore Pump Action Gun - A Short "Dry-Fire" Review

Post by hamiclar01 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Sad, a mediocre turkey elevated to a highly desirable position in the starved civilian market
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:16 am

looks quite disturbingly like a bad rip off of the Mossberg Maverick.

Which reminds me.. I havent shot mine in a while.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:18 am

MoA wrote:looks quite disturbingly like a bad rip off of the Mossberg Maverick.
Hey MoA, now that you mention it... the source of inspiration is probably the Maveric.

Thanks for the pointer

regards,
cc

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Thank You for the review, I am hopelessly illiterate regarding shotguns and the IOF PAG has always intrigued me! As with most things manufactured by IOF for civilian use, there is no pride in manufacturing because of lack of any serious competition.
Regards,
Anand

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Nice review CC :)

asharshooter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by asharshooter » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:07 am

Is it Movaric???

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:55 am

Due to rapid reloading by pump action and spread of shots, it is an ideal weapon for counter ambush tactics"
They expect someone to counter an ambush, by terrorists wielding AK's, with a shotgun loaded with #4 shot?
Hmm! They'd better hope those terrorists come in real close.

It sure looks like a copy of the Maverick except that they left off the cross-bolt safety. The Mossberg 500's safety, however, is on the receiver as shown in CC's photos.

The image is from HERE

If in fact it is a copy of the 500, here's how it comes apart and goes back together.
[youtube][/youtube]
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shaanhello
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shaanhello » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:21 pm

iof pump action shotgun is also available for civilians... with 20 inch barrel..... cost around 1 lakh rs...

mrsnehans
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mrsnehans » Sun May 01, 2016 1:40 pm

Is this available to buy in India??

dheeraj_1772
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dheeraj_1772 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Not for civil use. It's being supplied to Para Military and Central Police Forces. Recently the Stae Bank of India emerges out a bulk buyer...as many other nationalised bank stop procuring it..

Added in 18 minutes 45 seconds:
It's me firing the 12 Bore PAG of a PSU Bank..
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.