Blind Greener Crossbolt (Pics)

Posts related to shotguns.
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Blind Greener Crossbolt (Pics)

Post by herb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 am

Eoinsloan,

The address on the rib of my Boswell is ....

Charles Boswell, 7 S. Molton St, Bond St. London W.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Eoinsloan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eoinsloan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:40 pm

By ES
I think I have sorted out how to upload pictures! I will assemble a new file with a pic of each gun and have a go when I've done that!
Best Regards to all
Eoinsloan

Eoinsloan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eoinsloan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:08 pm

For Herb: The South Molton Street address was in use between 1921 and 1931. Generally the address on the barrels ties in with where his registered business was at the time of making the gun. My gun #17842 sold 23 October 1930 by the ledger has the Mill Street address on the barrels and he didn't move there until 1931! The explanation is that the workshop was not necessarily where the sales took place so we get Edmonton made guns (made pre1882) not SOLD until we know he was at the Strand address i.e. after 1882. Also his West End addresses were tiny streets e.g. Mill street was a tiny offshoot of Hanover Street only actually a few minutes walk from Bond Street!
I remember seeing the remains of the amazing mass of tiny streets that was pre WW2 London. as a boy after the blitz....
Best regards
eoin s

Eoinsloan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eoinsloan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:23 pm

My 1903 Boswell gamegun #14631 also has the Greener Treble Fast with hidden cross bolt. Your correspondent's comments about the rib extension being in the way is wrong in context. Yes it was in the way thus affecting fast loading by a 'loader' - BUT this WAS NOT in a hide! Loaders were used in DRIVEN SHOOTING as opposed to 'walked up' (Game) or in a hide (Wild Fowling). I have 1872, 1882, 1903 and 1929 Boswells.
The practice of Driven Shooting was well established by the latter half of the 19th century and yes the shooters sometimes stood in little enclosures built of stone or turf but these were not 'hides'. By the 20th century shooters stood by 'pegs, stuck in the ground across in front of the beaters and would move to new areas maybe 6 times in the course of the day..... By coincidence I and my grandson used the two earlier Boswell this last Wednesday and I am using the 1903 gun tomorrow clay shooting...