Lyon & Lyon Calcutta Express

Posts related to shotguns.
grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Lyon & Lyon Calcutta Express

Post by grewal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I was offered a gun by some close friend contact. The 12 bore DBBL by Lyon & Lyon Calcutta Express. The condition of the gun is as following- It has a 30" barrel with lot of rust scars at the forend with original bluing ( what ever is left on the barrel ). The stock although original but has been polished by the owner. He says it was done when he bought it i.e. somewhere in sixties.It's an exposed hammer gun . There is no play in the barrel upon closed. Non ejector. Although there is a lot carving done on the gun.The proof markings on the gun are very clear and it's made in England. No name regarding the manufacturer. The asking price is 20k.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Lyon & Lyon Calcutta Express

Post by snIPer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:34 pm

It is a good company. My friend has one.
20k is a good rate for the condition it is in.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 pm

snIPer wrote:It is a good company. My friend has one.
20k is a good rate for the condition it is in.
/S/
They(Lyon and Lyon) never made any guns but were merely retailers.

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:55 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:They(Lyon and Lyon) never made any guns but were merely retailers.
Condition can and will be improved once purchased but what about the credentials of the gun. How do you rate it .
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm

They(Lyon and Lyon) never made any guns but were merely retailers.

:agree:

Please tell the gunsmith to open the locks and check the amount of rusting inside.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Check for rust and pitting within the barrels.Also,what about the condition of the rib?Any loose contact,rust underneath etc? As Shooter said,have the locks checked by a competent gunsmith,if you can find one.

The presence of the sights make me wonder if it is a Paradox gun.Could you please check for any rifling at the muzzle end?If it is indeed a Paradox gun,shot patterns out of it may not be like the regular ones.But,I am not an expert.

Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Bespoke
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bespoke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:30 pm

The proof marks are not clear in the picture.

Vikram,

One thing is for sure that this is a shot and ball gun and it was not necessary that all shot and ball guns should have rifling,They could be smooth and still be accurate at 50 to 80 yards.

Grewal,

As far as rusting is concerned it looks like this gun has not been cared for long time and the barrels might be badly rusted between the ribs
These were one of the best selling types of guns for oficers in the british army going to the colonies before WW 1
Price seems fair enough to me

Caution : please get it checked from competent gunsmith before using any modern ammunition.if it is not proved for cordite dont use anything but BP in it.Cleaning the gun might improve the condition but at same time it can reveal some horrible things too.
“Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you.”

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Please rub some chalk on the flats and take a few more good res pics.
Pics of the barrel and innards too please.
That will help.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, cause these were taken with my mobile camera and the light angle was not correct when i took the pictures. I'll update tomorrow with new pictures taken by my cyber shot.

-- Thu Oct 14, 2010 19:57 --
Bespoke wrote:As far as rusting is concerned it looks like this gun has not been cared for long time
The owner lives in Canada , so most of the time gun had been lying deposited in the Gun house. This time he wants to sell it before returning back.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Grewal,

1.Hold the barrels from the lugs and strike them with a metal object.If there is a dull sound,it indicates rusting between the barrels underneath the ribs.If you get a metallic ringing sound,all is well.

2.Check if it is proofed for nitro and not black powder(Highly unlikely but does not hurt to check)

3.Check the chamber size.Ensure that it is not chambered for 2" cartridges(again highly unlikely).In all probability it is chambered for 65mm cartridges.

Seems to be in ok condition considering the neglect and for a reasonable price in Indian conditions.

shauryapratap
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shauryapratap » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:20 am

Guys I also have a double barell 12 gauge gun like the gun in picture it has been in my family for decades and it has been used as my family is in army it has silver plating near hammers and triggers only thing i am able to read is that on the sides where it is written Lyon &Lyon Calcutta is there any way i could know what year it is aur from which time something like that..
It could help a ton ...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:10 pm

shauryapratap wrote:Guys I also have a double barell 12 gauge gun like the gun in picture it has been in my family for decades and it has been used as my family is in army it has silver plating near hammers and triggers only thing i am able to read is that on the sides where it is written Lyon &Lyon Calcutta is there any way i could know what year it is aur from which time something like that..
It could help a ton ...
Please post a clear photograph of the barrel flats such as this one.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Rodda
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rodda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm

If it has sights on the rib it is definitely a shot and ball gun with no choke in either barrel. It will date to1904-1910 and would have been made in Birmingham. The proof marks would confirm this. I have just bought an R B Rodda shot and ball gun dating to about 1895. The gun was re-bored in 1957 to create a shallow taper along the length of the barrel from chamber to muzzle with an 8-10 thou constriction near the muzzle. As we have no Tiger or leopard in London the gun was bored to improve the shot patterns for bird shooting. I'll be using it tomorrow for partridge and pheasant.

Gurpartap
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Lyon & Lyon london Calcutta

Post by Gurpartap » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am

I have friend who has this lyon & lyon london calicut gun. As we dont know much about gun.some help could be usefull
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Lyon & Lyon london Calcutta

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:11 pm

Gurpartap wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am
I have friend who has this lyon & lyon london calicut gun. As we dont know much about gun.some help could be usefull
Thank you.
It's not Calicut but Calcutta. It's Lyon and Lyon London/ Calcutta 500 nitro double rifle. That's what I think. Experts and seniors in the group expected to throw more light on this weapon.
Regards.
Regards

Shivaji