Best Quality Indian Made 12 guage shotguns

Posts related to shotguns.
msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Best Quality Indian Made 12 guage shotguns

Post by msandhu » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi Guys,
I know of only few Indian made shotguns. Mainly IOF , Mehar Singh & sons and few others. There are many manufacturers in Jammu and Monghyr (Bihar). Does anyone know which are best or good quality shotguns made in India and also what do they usually cost ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Best Quality Indian Made 12 guage shotguns

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:02 am

The best is still the IOF made shotgun.Have no idea about the price though.

penpusher

sudhakardm
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sudhakardm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:52 am

Hi

I have been using IOF shot gun since a couple of years. It is a good gun.

Sudhakar
Thanks
Sudhakar

 SAVE TREES

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:55 am

IOF is a OK (not good but OK) gun, post 1968. Avoid the earlier ones, especially the very early ones with ejectors(early 60's).

Weak points were mainsprings would weaken causing misfires. Mainsprings replaced with imported ones and sears properly adjusted, guns will shoot reliably.

Pre hunting Ban days, lot of people used it succesfully for hunting for years(after spring replacement) without problems.

Can be used for light duty target shooting too.

Personally know of guns lasting 1000+ rounds hunting usage, before loosening up. Can be re tightened cheaply by good gunsmith.

Munger and Jammu guns are hit or miss, some are ok, some are not. Quality varies more with Munger guns, which essentially are built on a subcontract basis and travel from shop to shop for work. None though lasts longer than the IOF gun. Use a lot of soft metal internals, versus hardened steel in IOF gun.

Problem with this gun was as with other IOF products, was never available easily, had to pay some premium.

Yet in India, a good second hand IOF gun would be a good buy.

Satpal

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:06 am

Is there any Shotgun in India made my karimudin ( or near abouts) with so called Spanish barrels?

Thanks

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:39 am

We are looking for 12 barrel gun and the dealer in Amritsar was suggesting that Mehar Singh & Sons gun from Jammu is a reliable gun. Does anyone has any information on this gun ?

Cheers
Mandeep

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Msandhu, there was a post about Mehar singh shotguns-look under 'shotguns'.
I've heard mixed reports, looks solid and heavy-9lbs!
Personally, no experience.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi All,
My dad has a shotgun 12 guage made by Green and Co(I dont know where they are situated in India)which initially came with a 32 inch barrel.We later chopped it down to 28inches,and its shooting as smooth as ever with no hiccups. Most importantly its shoots to point of aim. We have had it for the last 8 years and have used a few 00 buck and numbers mainly.Have yet to try rifle slugs in the cylinder.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:51 am

MSandhu!

Mack The Knife and i had a little chit chat on mehar singhs, since i own one. the details, including a few pics, are in the "guns wanted" section. the gun i own is heavier than a foreign gun, seems ok at the moment, though i haven't used it much.

i guess, it really boils down to how much you are intending to play with your shotty. if you're planning to shoot things like skeet and trap regularly with 100+ rounds going off your gun every month, then steer clear of indian stuff. if it's the occassional shooting or just for security, they would probably be ok for the price.

anand

Edited by moderator
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:38 am

Hi Anand,
Thanks for the advice. I am a gun enthusiastic person and I like shooting with guns . Its my dad who is actually buying this gun in India and i have been trying to get its quality report from people who have owned this. Its mainly for home protection or occasional shooting. Does anyone know what is usually the cost of IOF shotgun. Also does IOF make them anymore ? I have been to their site and it shows only pump action shot gun, not the doube barrel shotgun.

Cheers
Mandeep

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:13 am

IOF no longer sell its DB shotguns in the market.All that is there is the old stuff.Sells for about 30-35,000/- It's better than the stuff made currently by private manufacturers.

penpusher

PS-Was told that the price of Indian made shotguns has dropped.You would have to check from the dealers here.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:15 pm

Was told that the price of Indian made shotguns has dropped.You would have to check from the dealers here.
That is correct. So much so that one of the dealers in Bangalore, Royal Armoury, has stopped stocking any Indian shotguns.

Mack The Knife

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 pm

I have had the opportunity to visit the Moghyr gun factories all situated inside the Moghyr Jail complex. Imagine - Guns are made in a Jai, jokes apart it is for security reasons,

One particular firm is outstanding. Giridhari Lal & Sons, make replicas of the BSA gun with 32 inch barells and a reliable safety mechanism, and firing plate spring assembly.

Chambered for 75 mm 12 bore cartridges it can support Astrums as well.

One accident recorded. I had fired a buckshot from a single barrel Giridhari Lal in Ghazipur. The lock mechanism gave in and the breech opened. A vicious back kick on my face bore the full impact. Lesson learnt, always use Beretta or other safety glasses while firing shotguns. Safety helps.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:14 pm

Shahid,

The first part and the last part of your posts are contradictory.They are good guns but they blow up when fired :?

penpusher

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi Hunter,

Green & Company guns are made in Monghyr (Bihar).... Its supposed to be one of the good brands from Munger. Their guns are now made in 22" for pistol grips,
26 & 28" Barrel and they manufacture both ejector and non ejector guns.....Ejector guns are mostly made for a select few on order. The prices are reasonable less than 20

There are other brands from Jammu available in the market and prices start from 12000 for a DBBL Gun....mehar singh & Khurmi are priced around 16 0r 17(net)

IOF DBBL guns are no more manufactured......But they are available in the market... well maintained 2nd hand ofcourse......

art_collector