The Remington Model 870 pump action shotgun: My view.

Posts related to shotguns.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The Remington Model 870 pump action shotgun: My view.

Post by xl_target » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 am

Recently Remington came out with a box magazine fed version of the 870, called the Model 870 DM.

If you've read this post from the beginning, you will see that I'm partial to the 870 having used one or more of them for many years.
My gun club has talked about including the shot gun in our weekly competitions, so I wanted to be ready.
A friend of mine wanted to buy my 870 Magnum.
I never shoot 3 1/2 inch shells if I can help it, so I was more than happy to oblige him

So now I was able to, with a clear conscience, go out and buy a 870 DM.
So I looked at various other versions and I think, "hmm, I can do better".

Here is the Wilson Combat version of the 870 DM. Image from HERE I don't care for the drop in the stock as i am not going to use iron sights.

I knew the Mesa Tactical sold accessories for an 870, so I started looking at their site.

...more.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:27 pm

xl_target wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 am
Recently Remington came out with a box magazine fed version of the 870, called the Model 870 DM.

If you've read this post from the beginning, you will see that I'm partial to the 870 having used one or more of them for many years.
My gun club has talked about including the shot gun in our weekly competitions, so I wanted to be ready.
A friend of mine wanted to buy my 870 Magnum.
I never shoot 3 1/2 inch shells if I can help it, so I was more than happy to oblige him

So now I was able to, with a clear conscience, go out and buy a 870 DM.
So I looked at various other versions and I think, "hmm, I can do better".

Here is the Wilson Combat version of the 870 DM. Image from HERE I don't care for the drop in the stock as i am not going to use iron sights.

I knew the Mesa Tactical sold accessories for an 870, so I started looking at their site.

...more.
In Russia Baikal plant making model IZH-81 K in 1990-1993 years very similar to the remington in your photo

in present only second hand market

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:33 pm

other foto construction
Image Image Image

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 pm

other 2 foto Izh-81 K "in Stock" from plant
Image Image

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:09 pm

In Russia IZH 81 k sell 100-150 USD price

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:59 am

Russianshooter,

Your photos do show some similarity with the 870 DM.
There are other third party manufacturers that have come out with box fed version of the 870 but they come and go.
However, without Remington factory support, one could possibly be left high and dry in a few years with no parts availability.

Of course the king of the box fed shotguns is the Saiga but they never have been 100% reliable with a wide variety of shot shells.
It's difficult to tune any semiauto to be able to fire high power shells and also very low powered shells.

Some of my considerations:
Variable length stock - Winters can be very cold in Minnesota. Deer hunting season is in November. I've hunted in -20 deg F weather. With a heavy coat on and several layers under it, a regular shotgun stock can feel really long.

A rail for mounting a red dot - The old eyes don't do iron sights too well anymore.

Besides that, when we bring our guns to the club to shoot matches, sometimes people will bring the most outlandish thing that they can.
I still want to do a match with my black powder revolver and a bolt action rifle (in the PCC or pistol caliber carbine event).

So here is the 870 DM that I purchased
I did find that it works just fine. There were no failures to feed fire or eject any of the various rounds that I tried; slugs, buckshot or birdshot.
The action is not like a "ballbearing on glass" feeling like my old 870 but it will get there in time.

It is rather ordinary looking and its time to spice it up a bit.
I did have one guy ask me "why"? The simple answer is because I want to and because I can.
I've got other standard unaltered shotguns.

I'll post more of the build when i get a few moments free.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:48 pm

I hunting with Saiga and Vepr 12 ga in -35 C,with no big problem
Problem be only with SBS version Saiga and Vepr - regular cartridge only heavy load 36 g and more
Long barrel version Saiga and Vepr working with no problem 18 and 24 g load

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:07 pm

About IZH-81 its not clone or copy Remington 870 its old soviet developing shotgun in 80 years 20 century
Have many features - shotgun bolt delay and many many other
Basic IZH81 have many version and only for russian domestic market, not for export

SBS version for self defence (rare only 600 be in production) prototype version "jaguar"
IZH-81 "jaguar" - short barrel pistol handle
Image Image Image
IZH-81M folding butt stock in 2 version
Image Image Image Image
Hunting version with 2 barrel
Image Image Image
Classic hunting version with wood
Image Image Image