Is This the Prettiest Baikal SXS You Have seen?

Posts related to shotguns.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Is This the Prettiest Baikal SXS You Have seen?

Post by Vikram » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 am

For me yes. I have seen very interesting and some beautifully made Russian guns on the net. None in this configuration.

However, I do not know if the $15K tag is low, reasonable or too high.

Check it out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 574548#PIC
Listing for your consideration is this beautiful Baikal side by side 12 ga. shotgun with true sidelocks and double triggers. This piece is highly engraved with beautiful wood. Barrels are 29.5" long and the inside diameter of the muzzle measures (to the best of my ability) RIGHT = 0.720" and LEFT = 0.687". The shotgun was acquired by the present owner in 1988 and was reportedly imported from RUSSIA for a US Embassy official. Unfortunately we have no papers to verify this.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is This the Prettiest Baikal SXS You Have seen?

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:20 am

Beautiful engraving, but for 15K one would hope to have a case made for the gun, instead of a case from a different brand.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 am

Very nice. Shouldn't the value go down considerably, given that its without a box and papers?

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 am

Now who says the Russians are only utilitarian!!!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:29 am

Mark wrote: Beautiful engraving, but for 15K one would hope to have a case made for the gun, instead of a case from a different brand.
:agree:

Thanks Vikram for sharing :D
What a beautiful work of art - the engravings especially & the sleek woodwork.
From the dimensions given of the barrels - it appears that the left is a cylinder for shooting slugs & the right a choke primarily meant for birds & small game.
Briha
Last edited by brihacharan on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 am

I don't think so.Left is choke & right is cylindrical.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 am

Pradyumna wrote: I don't think so.Left is choke & right is cylindrical.
> May be - But the DBBL 12 gauge made by Midland (UK) which I owned had the left as cylindrical & the right one choked :D
> Hence my inference :D
Briha

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am

brihacharan wrote:
> May be - But the DBBL 12 gauge made by Midland (UK) which I owned had the left as cylindrical & the right one choked :D
> Hence my inference :D
Briha
That may have been the case, but the typical (standard) arrangement is for the left, or second, barrel of a SxS to be more tightly chocked. With a bespoke gun, you can, of course, have it arranged any way you please.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Yes, it`s the prettiest Baikal I`ve ever seen. It`s also the only Baikal sidelock I`ve ever seen.
Value ? Well, one thing that`s for certain is that in the UK it wouldn`t make the equivalent of $15,000 ( which is roughly £10,000 ) because of Baikal`s reputation for cheap, utilitarian guns. It might ( MIGHT ! ) make £2,500 ...... but would take a VERY long time to sell.
By the way, this gun is very tastefully and conservatively engraved compared to the usual, grotesquely blingy, output of the Baikal and Tula custom shops.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Compared to this,the run of the mill Baikals re-define ugliness.That top lever looks like it would snap in two if manhandled. Vikram,thanks for posting it.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 am

I do have to say that I'd prefer to spend the $15K on this drilling made for president Theodore Roosevelt:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/183 ... ed-gun-set

"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Bespoke
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bespoke » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 am

I can't see the pictures since the listing has expired but there was a very fine Biakal for sale sometime ago presented by a Russian General to his Indian counterpart.I might have to dig up for the pictures.

Best,
Bespoke
“Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you.”

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Bespoke wrote:I can't see the pictures since the listing has expired but there was a very fine Biakal for sale sometime ago presented by a Russian General to his Indian counterpart.I might have to dig up for the pictures.

Best,
Bespoke
I posted the photos I saved from that listing.Thanks for pointing out.Will be good to see the photos you have.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:42 pm

A beautiful SXS indeed one of the finest Baikal I have seen actually I never have seen a baikal in person. Engraving is just outstanding very few weapons are there with such thick engraving it's just towards the thinner in majority of the weapons, recently i came across a Mauser 0.25 pistol with such thick engravings. The stock is also looking nice beautiful gun indeed. I agree for 15k the gun should atleast have a custom box for it rather than other brand.

Regards

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 am

Ramandeep wrote:A beautiful SXS indeed one of the finest Baikal I have seen actually I never have seen a baikal in person. Engraving is just outstanding very few weapons are there with such thick engraving it's just towards the thinner in majority of the weapons, recently i came across a Mauser 0.25 pistol with such thick engravings. The stock is also looking nice beautiful gun indeed. I agree for 15k the gun should atleast have a custom box for it rather than other brand.

Regards

Raman

+1

:agree: with you Ramandeep.

Baljit