Purchase a new DBBL (help required )

Posts related to shotguns.
Aranganathan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Purchase a new DBBL (help required )

Post by Aranganathan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:06 am

Dear members,

I m aranganathan from tamilnadu , I recently owned a DBBL liscence , I'm very much looking forward to purchase a new gun , can you help me in this regard by suggesting me which one should I buy , what should I notice before buying a gun , which brand to buy , indian or imported, new or used gun etc ,,
Waiting for your valuable reply
Regards
Aranganathan

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Purchase a new DBBL (help required )

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Welcome to IFG and congratulations on your license.If you read this link, you will get a decent idea about buying used shotguns.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=458

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Yuvaraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Yuvaraj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi members
I have got an new DBBL license and i am interested in Skeet and Trap shooting
Can Indian Over under be used? (Khairudin )
and also whether sxs can be used (Both indian and imported)
Give suggestions regarding this and where can i purchase the weapon in Tamilnadu and other parts of india

Yuvaraj

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Yuvaraj wrote:Can Indian Over under be used? (Khairudin )
Yes BUT you not be able to achieve much with it.
Yuvaraj wrote:whether sxs can be used (Both indian and imported)
Yes

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 am

Hi All,
Got my dbbl license after a long run...well I came through iof dbbl which is in ok condition and also a Belgian 30" ejector type. Price is not the issue here. As I live in Dehradun so finding a good gun is challenging due to limited resources. I have read the post regarding choosing the right gun but still I am not so smart to identify a good and a not good gun. Also came through a Springfield dbbl but didn't took interest as I never read any post or information about it.

Please advise your expertise on selecting a Belgian dbbl. I will take some pictures and will post for further discussion.
Thanks

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm

zaheer.bakshi wrote:Hi All,
Got my dbbl license after a long run...well I came through iof dbbl which is in ok condition and also a Belgian 30" ejector type. Price is not the issue here. As I live in Dehradun so finding a good gun is challenging due to limited resources. I have read the post regarding choosing the right gun but still I am not so smart to identify a good and a not good gun. Also came through a Springfield dbbl but didn't took interest as I never read any post or information about it.

Please advise your expertise on selecting a Belgian dbbl. I will take some pictures and will post for further discussion.
Thanks
post some pictures of belgian made shotgun it will be better for senior members to give you a good advise thanks

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Posting Photos. The gun requires some maintenance as it was kept in a box for a long time unused. The gunsmith after seeing the pictures told me repair expenses will be around 15k. The seller agrees to sell the gun for 35k. This cost was determined by me after reading various shotguns posts by various members of this forum (big thanks) and specially for Belgium shotgun. Please advise if 35k is ok ? As I said in my previous post the choices are limited for me. Members please share positive attributes of this gun as I am now committed to buy the gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:10 am

It is most likely an FN built sidelock.An excellent gun for the money. But the photo# Belgium2, looks particularly bothering to me. The pitting on the left barrel seems to be quite deep and almost like a hole that has been filled haphazardly. I will not feel safe with something like that on a gun until it is examined by a person who actually knows something about stuff like this. Please understand that I could be completely wrong in my assessment and I am by no means an expert. The intention is not to discourage you but caution you to have the gun checked well.

Best-
Vikram

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:22 am

Vikram asked me to take a look at this gun because of his concerns as to how safe it might be to shoot. I have to say the the encrusted oxidisation on the exterior of the barrels is scary as hell. When it is removed the barrel is going to be very thin ..... and possibly actually perforated.
It`s difficult to provide much in the way of `positive attributes` for this gun because there is so much that is visibly wrong with it ...... Goodness knows what mechanical condition it is in.
The gun is a plain and simple Belgian sidelock non-ejector. A working gun and not expensive when it was new. It`s very difficult to attribute a gun like this to a particular maker as quite a few Belgian gunmakers built sidelocks and many of those were similar in style. I don`t think this is by FN as I don`t recognise the action or the three pin lock pattern. It`s not by Pieper .... could be a Francotte .... I wouldn`t like to say. The encrusted oxidisation is very worrying. The rim of the right chamber where it has been chamfered to accept the side-clip is so badly corroded that there will be gaps when the gun is closed. The stock has got damp, the wood has warped somewhat and it has `sprung` beneath the left lockplate ..... As the gun dries it could warp more and could even break. It depends if the stock is rotten.
Th gun should have been cleaned-up before being offered for sale so that the bores could be checked for wall thickness and perforation. What state is the face of the action in ? What is the left barrel like inside ?
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:36 am

Thank you for your inputs, Grumpy!

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:42 am

Vikram & Grumpy,
A big thanks for your expert comments. My doubts are now very clear about this gun. It belong to a family friend and after reading the technical facts, I will never compromise with safety.Shall wait meanwhile until I find a safe and good gun.

Zaheer

deep27
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by deep27 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Good decision Zaheer.......and very nicely illustrated by Grumpy.
Guys i am also planning to buy a o/u shotgun, as i got my license entered for buying a Gun. Kindly help me in barrel length, make etc.
regards......

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:14 pm

It should be a crime to let a good gun die like this!
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 pm

We won't let it happen. Have arranged a friend who is also a good gunsmith to see the gun. He can do some justice to the gun and give it a new life. Will certainly find a new home for it.

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Gents,
Please have a look on this gun. This is an IOF dbbl ser # 0057. The price quoted for this is 65k. The dealer said this an old IOF in original condition. He also said that he has also never seen a gun like this before. Kindly advise if it is worth.