Miroku Gun Factory in Japan

Posts related to shotguns.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Miroku Gun Factory in Japan

Post by Vikram » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:26 am

Probably they are not many guns that offer more value for money than Miroku built guns, either Brownings/Citoris or Miroku's own brand. Some say that for the money there is no better value gun than a Miroku, only more expensive. Contestable but says something about their quality.

This is a very interesting peek into their factory. I do not remember having seen a similar article before.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... ctory-tour

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Miroku Gun Factory in Japan

Post by xl_target » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:06 am

Very Interesting Vikram.
Thanks for sharing.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi,

I have the possibility of acquiring a 25 to 30 year old Miroku 20 gauge shotgun in good condition. Either the Miroku or a Winchester .22LR semi auto rifle.
It will be for collection because I am not a rifle shooter.
Anyone has any suggestion?

best regards
tirpassion

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:39 am

Good information...thanks Vikram :)
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:22 am

Very interesting -- it's really not a huge operation at all, is it?

They seem to have melded the best of computer controlled machining with skilled by-hand craftsmen. I could very well go for one of these (even though I couldn't hit much with one).

The first pic looks like they are standing by a harpoon gun used for whaling. Maybe Miroku used to make them?

Thanks, Vikram, very interesting!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:06 am

It's amazing making sxs and o/u is art to a large extend than CNC milling thanks Vikram

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks for sharing Vikram....
Very interesting & enlightening :D
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:03 pm

The first pic looks like they are standing by a harpoon gun used for whaling. Maybe Miroku used to make them?
Exactly timmy! Japanese caught on slightly later to firearms, but boy, did they really catch on fast and firm!?

Read / Watch James Clavell's SHOGUN - ah what an epic...I truly enjoyed re-living it!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dgun_(novel)
Shōgun is a 1975 novel by James Clavell. It is the first novel (by internal chronology) of the author's Asian Saga. A major bestseller, by 1990 the book had sold 15 million copies worldwide. Beginning in feudal Japan some months before the critical Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, Shōgun gives an account of the rise of the daimyo "Toranaga" (based upon the actual Tokugawa Ieyasu). Toranaga's rise to the Shogunate is seen through the eyes of the English sailor John Blackthorne, called Anjin ("Pilot") by the Japanese, whose fictional heroics are loosely based on the historical exploits of William Adams.
:cheers:

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:45 pm

CK: I very much enjoy James Clavell novels -- they are about the only fiction I can claim to have read. I also enjoy his movies and the movies made from his books. Clavell was also a screen writer for movies, as well, and among other movies, co-wrote The Great Escape. Did you know his daughter Michaela played Penelope Smallbone in the Bond film, Octopussy?

By the way, two other movies that has those interesting Japanese matchlocks are Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai and Ran.

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 pm

timmy wrote:CK: I very much enjoy James Clavell novels -- they are about the only fiction I can claim to have read. I also enjoy his movies and the movies made from his books. Clavell was also a screen writer for movies, as well, and among other movies, co-wrote The Great Escape. Did you know his daughter Michaela played Penelope Smallbone in the Bond film, Octopussy?

By the way, two other movies that has those interesting Japanese matchlocks are Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai and Ran.
Nice info there timmy - thanks for the Ran - did not of know of it's existence. 007 - I actually did not realise that Micheala was the actress; but I have been sort of intrigued by her performance. It was sort of stiff-faced and her enunciation was a tad stilted, maybe it's just my thoughts but I think she made a great vamp, she did have her positive sides (she smiles enigmatically when she spots Bond's stealthy exit from his room and keeps her peace).

I found another beautiful movie by Akira Kurosawa After the Rain - Fascinating!

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:33 pm

So, I believe that owning a miroku shotgun will be a better deal than owning a .22lr semi auto winchester 190 or m290.
I am, in any case, always fascinated by japanese workmanship.

Thanks
tirpassion

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Très mignon tirpassion - bien dit :agree: about the quality of Japanese workmanship!! :cheers:

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:09 pm

tirpassion wrote:So, I believe that owning a miroku shotgun will be a better deal than owning a .22lr semi auto winchester 190 or m290.

Thanks
tirpassion
They do make some very nice stuff, no doubt! So much of what one can buy is junk, but good Japanese gear is tough to beat!
ckkalyan wrote:Nice info there timmy - thanks for the Ran - did not of know of it's existence. 007 - I actually did not realise that Micheala was the actress; but I have been sort of intrigued by her performance. It was sort of stiff-faced and her enunciation was a tad stilted, maybe it's just my thoughts but I think she made a great vamp, she did have her positive sides (she smiles enigmatically when she spots Bond's stealthy exit from his room and keeps her peace).

I found another beautiful movie by Akira Kurosawa After the Rain - Fascinating!
CK, thanks for the tip on After the Rain, I have not seen it and need to check it out.

Ran is a beautiful movie, very colorful, and there is a very famous scene in it of burning down a fortress. I very much like the battle scenes where the cavalry and troops are outfitted in different colors. It is a sort Japanese King Lear

Michaela's Penelope Smallbone is Miss Moneypenny's assistant in Octopussy -- it's not a large part. The Swedish actress Maude Adams plays Octopussy, and she also played Scaramanga's girlfriend in Man With The Golden Gun. For some reason, she didn't play any other parts in Bond films, or much in anything else, really.

Clavell's novels were very educational for me. I was essentially a farm boy and reading those books exposed me to Asian culture in a way I had never experienced. I have used those cultural clues in a number of situations throughout my life, and they have always worked for me -- even in places like Mexico and El Salvador!

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:26 am

tirpassion wrote:So, I believe that owning a miroku shotgun will be a better deal than owning a .22lr semi auto winchester 190 or m290.

Thanks
tirpassion
Tirpassion,

Is it possible to post the model of the Miroku? Miroku made and still makes the mass-produced Browning shotguns. They also produce the same guns under their own name, which some say are better bargains. Who knows you may get hooked to Sporting Clays.Can be very addictive.

Timmy,

I watched Ran a couple of times. As you say it is very Shakespearean. Quite tragic though. Incidentally, it is the first Kurosawa's film that I saw, on HBO in fact.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Vikram,

I can not post the image right now, because I have booked the same verbally. Some paper works and time are needed before I can acquire it; might take a few months. But it is an original Miroku, not Browning and look wise, it stands out definitely.

It is a 20 gauge shotgun. Can one shoot clays with a 20 gauge?

best regards

tirpassion