Barrel length/pistol grip

Posts related to shotguns.
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Barrel length/pistol grip

Post by james » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:27 pm

MY friend is about to get licence for DBBL within 7 days,he need this gun purely for self defence ,gun should be of shottest barrel permitted in india and like to know about pistol/hockey stick type of grip is comfortable shoting 12 bore gun,what would be effective range etc.I saw 20 inche barrel in kolkata ,indian/luckhnow made new,dealer is asking for 24,000 .kindly advice ,Regards James

For Advertising mail webmaster
diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:25 am

I have never shot one with a pistol grip, but have seen this model once. it looks really cool. one of my relative had purchased it a year back for 18K.

and barrels less than 20" is PB so off limits..
klick klack..... diskaon

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Barrel length/pistol grip

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:04 am

To each his own, but I advise against pistol-grip shotguns for home defense.

You cannot aim them at all, which makes them a danger in my opinion.

they are not a problem for pulling the trigger, I've shot many of them, both 12 and 20, and recoil is easily managed but they are not a good fighting weapon compared to one with a full stock, which can not only be aimed more accurately but can also be used as a striking weapon with the butt of the gun.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it but movies do a real disservice teaching what weapons are actually usefull in protecting ones self.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:05 am

I agree 100% Mark. The twin pistol grip stocks with no butt are too heavy and produce too much recoil to much to be used single-handed and aiming them is hopeless two handed. They look cool but are worse than junk. If a combat type stock is required get one with a full butt stock, a pistol grip at the wrist and a conventional type fore-nd which is the formula that all military and police special forces use .......................... which ought to tell you something.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:55 pm

I also advise u againist buying pistol butt gun with the orginal shape it is the best weapon for selfdefence further if u r buying the indian one price quoted is high as prices of shotguns have come down and newer guns have different shape in dbbl gun there is open space left anf mehar singh gun is available as at 17,000 and have a nice metal apart from mehar singh eagle which I HAVE OF Santakhoo gun works is also good and its metal I have found to be better only draw back is it is nonejector prices of jandk guns start from 9000 onwards .

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:40 pm

Do you advice the fitment of the foldable butt like one displayed at http://www.gunaccessory.com/accessories/#11.

a short barrel with foldable butt may be a good option..
klick klack..... diskaon

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:15 am

I too was thinkin gof the same thing..

20.5 inch barrel with foldable butt from gunaccessory..

However one big question.. in case of pistol grip type gun should one stick to a single barrel..

i feel the perfect short barrel gun would be a O/U in 20.5" and a foldable butt.. what say.. comments please.
klick klack..... diskaon

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:08 am

Try finding a folding/collapsible butt for ANY sort of double - to my knowledge nobody makes one.
Alternative stocks are only available for a restricted range of American shotguns : - Remington 1100/1148 semi-autos, Mossberg and Winchester pump actions etc.
Why a folding stock anyway ? It won`t make the gun faster handling and if you use one with the stock collapsed/folded you`ll be more likely to hit the ceiling rather than any assailant/burgler.
Ideal home defence gun ?
A semi-auto with a 5-6 shot tube magazine and a c.20 inch barrel. If you are REALLY familiar with the gun a pump action will substitute.........but people unused to pump actions tend to shoot at the floor or ceiling when trying to rack the gun and shoot when under pressure.......
- Take the `idiot` option - I would.

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:12 am

Hi James,

Haven't used a pistol grip gun. But what I hear from most people its the most uncomfortable firearms to use. Its more of a fad but then thats what sell in these times.

Prices for most pistol grips start from 11000/- and goes to about 22000/- in Delhi.
Bharat costs something at 11,000/- there is one by singh manufacturers lucknow which sells for 12500/- most expensive might be new light which retails around 22000/- and all these prices are inclusive of vAT 12.5%. So you could try and bargain the prices in Calcutta.

AC

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:13 pm

James,

Have you or your friend fired a short barell, pistol grip, no stock shotty ? If not then please fire it safely first and post your experience. Its rubbish for self defence or anything for that matter, if I am allowed to say so.

Its called a "hockey" in Punjab and I have had a horrendus experience of firing it once in my life time. Never again will I ever go near it.

The mafiosi when invented / carried a "Lupara" had a different purpose altogether.

My advice to you would be to buy a proper DBBL/SBBL which is safe and friendly and can be used properly for the purpose it is being bought for. Fixing a folding stock would alter whatever balance the shotty has.

Remember my pal, none of us is Arnold Schwarzenegger and he too doesnt shoot for real with his "hockey".

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 pm

The Doc";p="32452 wrote:Remember my pal, none of us is Arnold Schwarzenegger and he too doesnt shoot for real with his "hockey".
I have never tried this 'hockey' and I am definitely not Arnold but I can shoot a 12 gauge shotgun one handed and I can tell you it is no big deal. Now a .375 H&H Double is something to write home about.....after the cast comes off the wrist. :mrgreen:

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Please do try a "hockey" Mack The Knife at a target, just for fun sake and tell us what do you think.

regards,

RP.

PS. My OPD is on Monday/Thursday and I am always emergency on call Wednesday/Saturday. :mrgreen:
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 pm

"I am definitely not Arnold but I can shoot a 12 gauge shotgun one handed and I can tell you it is no big deal"

That`s cos you`re so hard.

You`re my hero.

( `Swoon`)

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:20 pm

By the way, did you see that picture of Arnie in his swimming trunks ?

Arnie is definitely no Arnie nowadays !
:lol:

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:21 pm

for people who are not either arnold or Mack The Knife.. look for a good 20 gauge with 20 inch barrel.. hehehehe
klick klack..... diskaon