Using shaktiman cartridges in old shotguns

Posts related to shotguns.
riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Using shaktiman cartridges in old shotguns

Post by riflemarksman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Can shaktiman cartridges specially the high brass ones be used in very old shotguns. Can these old barrels take the high pressure of these cartridges, your views please..

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Using shaktiman cartridges in old shotguns

Post by marksman_dd » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Depends on the condition of the barrel, if the barrel is not rusted, and its clean from the spots created by the aging (i dont know the exact word for that, veteran may elaborate that type of rusting) then it may sustain the pressure. But its adviced not to use slugs on old shotgun.
Experts, am I right?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

faster, faster, faster, faster .......
till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death

Timnorris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Timnorris » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:14 am

The spots that you have mentioned due to rust is called pitting, its common among old guns.

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 pm

Timnorris wrote:The spots that you have mentioned due to rust is called pitting, its common among old guns.
Thanks

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

faster, faster, faster, faster .......
till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:24 pm

riflemarksman wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Can shaktiman cartridges specially the high brass ones be used in very old shotguns. Can these old barrels take the high pressure of these cartridges, your views please..
Old as in how old? Have you looked at the barrel flats on the breech end to see the proof marks? Do they have any marking like NP, NITRO ?

Is there any pattern on the barrels to show an elliptical winding pattern with wavy marks visible ? This indicates it’s a Damascus barrel, NOT for smokeless powder.
Pitting in the barrel has no relation to ability of the gun to withstand smokeless loads.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 pm

....do check what length of cartridge the shotgun is chambered for. Keep in mind that a 70mm cartridge will chamber in a shotgun meant to fire 65mm length cartridges.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 am

I would be very leery of old shotguns. As El Jefe says, Damascus barrels have been suspect for years, although recently there has been an upsurge of interest in shooting them again.

Damascus barrels, simply put, were made by winding ribbons of metal around a mandrel and hammer-welding them into one piece. Here, one can be concerned with the metal used, and whether they are actually one piece. Part of this also relates to what sort of gun it is -- high quality guns were definitely made better. British Empire guns had proof marks, but this may not be a reliable indication of safety either, because over the years, a weak spot in the seams of the ribbons can rust, so that it's not easily discerned. While a proof test 140 years ago with black powder loads may have given a good result, firing now with smokeless powder and having had some sort of corrosion take place could well make that gun unsafe.

Pitting in a Damascus barrel can indicate problems like this. Also, any bumps or dents in the barrel can affect the layers of ribbons, causing an unsafe condition.

"Fluid steel" barrels also came about at this time. There were several different processes of forming red-hot steel around a mandrel, but recall that Damascus barrels were considered stronger at one time, which tells you something. Another consideration here is, what is "Steel"? The steel of the 1880s was hardly as strong as the cheapest grades of steel that are used in various purposes today, as metallurgy has come a long way. Steel made by the Bessemer process is liable to have impurities and bubbles. The succeeding Siemens-Martin, or open hearth process was superior in this regard, and largely replaced Bessemer steel by around 1900.

So, you must consider the age, quality, and condition of the gun before firing it with modern ammunition, and also, as Winnie says, KNOW what chamber size the gun has. Shooting shells that are too long will cause the folds to act as an obstruction, and in an older gun, can cause problems.

Judging all of this stuff can be hard, but for the sake of your eyes and hands, I would err on the side of caution here!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:16 pm

does shaktiman guns have a website ?

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:56 am

casual shooter wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:16 pm
does shaktiman guns have a website ?
So much secrecy than our TOP SECRET '' IOF''. there is no trace of the company details. wierd

chahal1979
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by chahal1979 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:45 am

Yes
I am using too