IOF 12 Bore DBBL chokes

Posts related to shotguns.
PRINCESIDHU007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: IOF 12 Bore DBBL chokes

Post by PRINCESIDHU007 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm

Left barrel half Choke and Right Barrel Full Choke.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:06 pm

PRINCESIDHU007 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm
Left barrel half Choke and Right Barrel Full Choke.
Hi,

Have you measured the chokes or had them measured? Thank you.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:50 pm

Would not blindly accept what the so called Bangladeshi PHs post on the Africa Hunting forum. Most of their posts about India need correction.
I recall firing the IOF 12 bore some 30+ years back and examining the patterns. Both barrels were different. There is a choke of some sort which one has to measure to be sure.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:31 am

shooter50 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:50 pm
Would not blindly accept what the so called Bangladeshi PHs post on the Africa Hunting forum. Most of their posts about India need correction.

I am glad you pointed it out. That chap is full of falsehoods and gets passive aggressive when challenged.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:18 am

I am glad you pointed it out. That chap is full of falsehoods and gets passive aggressive when challenged.
Absolutely Vikram, these guys have been posting a lot of trash about India and Indian hunting on the Africa Hunting forum and getting away with it. None of them were Professional Hunters as we understand the term. Most of them were helpers employed in the Shikar Company Allywn Cooper and Sons, owned by the late Indian politician VC Shukla. They have seen foreign clients come to India and shoot game no doubt, but beyond that what they write is pure hogwash.

Sandesh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sandesh » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:03 am

shooter50 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:18 am
Absolutely Vikram, these guys have been posting a lot of trash about India and Indian hunting on the Africa Hunting forum and getting away with it. None of them were Professional Hunters as we understand the term. Most of them were helpers employed in the Shikar Company Allywn Cooper and Sons, owned by the late Indian politician VC Shukla. They have seen foreign clients come to India and shoot game no doubt, but beyond that what they write is pure hogwash.
Hello got my self iof 12g sxs recently... which have lining rib on it...left barrel is full choke & right is cylinder..left choke is clearly mentioned under the barrel

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:33 pm

Vikram wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:21 pm
Thanks to our member Penpusher, got these photos of the IOF SXS. Looks like IOF does not stamp choke marks on the gun. I think it does not mean that the gun does not have any chokes. Pay attention to the last photo.

He also said that the gun must have fired a LOT of rounds, having been in use in the National Cadet Corps, and still works.
The last pic re barrel flats shows the right barrel as .729 ie Cylinder and left barrel as Imp Cylinder at .723..the gun itself looks in pretty good condition.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:46 pm

OT.
Kenneth Anderson’s son Don,owned a .423 Mauser, besides the .315 with a scope-it had an aftermarket elevated comb. And an IOF 12 ga. I knew Don as a school kid and was lucky to visit his house on Museum road hear his stories first hand , and handle those 3 guns. He had a photo gallery of ‘Jock’ (as his dad was called ) and his own shikar trophies which was a veritable cornucopia for a school boy of an impressionable age.
What I distinctly remember was, Don telling us that his 12 bore was half and 3/4 choke.
I have also handled and used the NCC IOF 12 bore which the Air wing cadets used for skeet. And heard from their instructor that they were ‘ skeet choked’. So, more confusion
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:14 pm

I found this helpful chart online:

In the USA, it used to be common to test the choke of a used 12 ga. by using a dime coin, which is supposed to be 0.705" in diameter, as a "rough and dirty" gauge for giving an idea of a barrel's choke. Maybe there is an Indian coin which could serve the same function?

I did find this 2 paise coin from 11964 that is supposed to be 18 mm in diameter, or 0.709". Maybe this would be a handy pocket choke gauge?

“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:16 am

Totally OT, but these days 2 paisa coins are now collectors items! ;) with the inflation we've seen over the past 3 decades, no one keeps or offers change below ₹1/- and more often than not, both customers and shopkeepers will ignore even that as an insignificant amount! We're well and truly in an era where the decimal denomination (of paisa) is no longer current currency as they don't represent any useful value anymore. :P
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:51 am

mundaire wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:16 am
Totally OT, but these days 2 paisa coins are now collectors items! ;)
I'm going to try and remember to check my coin stash tomorrow!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman