12 bore shotgun

Posts related to shotguns.
advghori
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

12 bore shotgun

Post by advghori » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:01 am

I got my 12 bore license recently.
I am planning to buy pump action shotgun.

Please give ur suggestions as my friend told me that cartridge often stuck in pump action shotgun.
Thanks

Sent from my PCT-AL10 using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: 12 bore shotgun

Post by ASIF007 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:46 am

Congratulations on acquiring a 12 bore licence. IOF Pump action is most popular but has some defects. Many videos are available. If you are into Trap shooting an O/U is required. Indian ones are available below 1 lac but foreign brands are much higher. Side by side are much cheaper but you have to check the condition.

Regards
Asif

riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by riflemarksman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Every gun has some issues dbbl or sbbl guns sometimes dont eject shells after they are fired at least in pump action you can remove the stuck shells easily.........and chamber the next cartridge

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:35 am

riflemarksman wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:29 pm
Every gun has some issues dbbl or sbbl guns sometimes dont eject shells after they are fired at least in pump action you can remove the stuck shells easily.........and chamber the next cartridge
Pump and lever action firearms have this problem where the extractor sometimes slips over the rim of the cartridge and fails to extract, in the extraction -ejection Cycle. Leaving a fired case stuck in the chamber. And cycling of the action -After you empty the magazine tube by other means - e.g unscrewing the mag tube from the front , if possible, and emptying out the rest of the loaded shells FIRST May snap the extractor back over the rim of the sticky case and extract it.
Cycling the action with loaded shells in the mag tube will worsen the jam because the ‘lifter’ will lift and try to feed the fresh shell from the mag tube into the chamber- which is still holding the jammed empty case!
With a double or single , open the action and the fired case rim is accessible. Easily plucked out with the fingers. Old time clay shooters used to wear a ring with a shell holder profile, which can be used to quickly Snap over the stuck shell and extract manually.

Extractors and ejectors are two entirely different mechanisms. All break open shotguns are made with EXTRACTORS to elevate the fired ctg from the chamber.
EJECTORS are an additional feature (usually at extra cost) which throw out the fired cases

I would prefer a break action type shotgun for exactly these features, rather than struggle with a stuck case In a pump or lever action.
IMO- lesser the moving parts , more dependable.

I have a .357 underlever carbine which would not feed handloads, and if it did, failed to extract. I had to strip it and modify the extractor and some other parts by grinding away the out of spec parts. Feeds and extracts fine now.

Some users of the Turkish made lever action 12 ga shotguns also report a similar failure to extract, leaving them with a ‘jammed’ gun and a fat pig making his exit

Most times, in a PAG, it’s easy to diagnose and rectify this condition by a little judicious filing/ grinding Or even machining out an aftermarket extractor with closer tolerances. A polish of the feed tube internals will also help.
And the most important variable - find a brand of shotshell your gun likes, and stick to it.

Leaving the worst for the last, if the shotgun chamber comes oversized from the factory, firing will cause the brass to expand more than normal, and failure to extract will be hallmark.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

javedali923
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by javedali923 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:57 pm

eljefe wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:35 am
riflemarksman wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:29 pm
Pump and lever action firearms have this problem where the extractor sometimes slips over the rim of the cartridge and fails to extract, in the extraction -ejection Cycle. Leaving a fired case stuck in the chamber. And cycling of the action -After you empty the magazine tube by other means - e.g unscrewing the mag tube from the front , if possible, and emptying out the rest of the loaded shells FIRST May snap the extractor back over the rim of the sticky case and extract it.
Cycling the action with loaded shells in the mag tube will worsen the jam because the ‘lifter’ will lift and try to feed the fresh shell from the mag tube into the chamber- which is still holding the jammed empty case!
With a double or single , open the action and the fired case rim is accessible. Easily plucked out with the fingers. Old time clay shooters used to wear a ring with a shell holder profile, which can be used to quickly Snap over the stuck shell and extract manually.

Extractors and ejectors are two entirely different mechanisms. All break open shotguns are made with EXTRACTORS to elevate the fired ctg from the chamber.
EJECTORS are an additional feature (usually at extra cost) which throw out the fired cases

I would prefer a break action type shotgun for exactly these features, rather than struggle with a stuck case In a pump or lever action.
IMO- lesser the moving parts , more dependable.

I have a .357 underlever carbine which would not feed handloads, and if it did, failed to extract. I had to strip it and modify the extractor and some other parts by grinding away the out of spec parts. Feeds and extracts fine now.

Some users of the Turkish made lever action 12 ga shotguns also report a similar failure to extract, leaving them with a ‘jammed’ gun and a fat pig making his exit

Most times, in a PAG, it’s easy to diagnose and rectify this condition by a little judicious filing/ grinding Or even machining out an aftermarket extractor with closer tolerances. A polish of the feed tube internals will also help.
And the most important variable - find a brand of shotshell your gun likes, and stick to it.

Leaving the worst for the last, if the shotgun chamber comes oversized from the factory, firing will cause the brass to expand more than normal, and failure to extract will be hallmark.
Eljafi need your support on my post. Kindly check my post regarding box lock and side lock in 12 gauge double barrel

advghori
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by advghori » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:41 am

Thanks all. I've bought IOF pump action gun.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:13 pm

Wow Congratulations !. That is a good choice. I had enquired about IOF PAG with the police armourers . They said it works well and is no nonsense and simple. The police in India have been issued these PAGs with a 18 inch barrell (PB ) for riot control and a Sawn off .303 exclusively for firing non lethal plastic shots. the IOF PAG seems to be a no problem weapon as they have used it for training and fired a few hundred rounds without any issues.