Side by Side VS Over Under: What Do You Prefer?

Posts related to shotguns.
kanzakibullet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Side by Side VS Over Under: What Do You Prefer?

Post by kanzakibullet » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:30 am

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering what everyone's preference was for choosing between a Side by Side Break Open Shotgun vs Over Under Break Open Shotgun, assuming:
* You could have any shotgun you want.
* For performing multiple roles: plinking, hunting, and self-defense.

I personally gravitate toward the Over Under Shotgun because I feel that the pistol grip and buttstock would be more comfortable for me. Currently, my favorite shotgun is the Benelli 828U in 12 Gauge.
Of course, there may be Side by Side Shotguns that also have pistol grip and buttstock, and I would love to hear about them.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Side by Side VS Over Under: What Do You Prefer?

Post by timmy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:57 am

KB, good question. I might say, "different horses for different courses," as the shotgun used for the roles you cited are all different. Then, there are skeet-type shotguns for quick upland bird shooting or similar kinds of competition, and trap-type shotguns for waterfowl hunting and similar kinds of competition.

Side by sides are, perhaps, more "classic," but certainly the old John M Browning designed Superposed over and under is a classic, too, by anyone's estimation. By the way, I do think that affinity, or just liking a gun for what it is, is an important quality to many people (though, apparently, not all). It certainly is for me -- I have to have some kind of affection for any gun I have or desire. This may not make much sense to others, or even anyone else, but as long as it makes sense for me, that's what counts.

I only have three shotguns now, and only shoot two of them, and neither very often. But the one is an old SxS L C Smith 12 gauge, in field grade, with 28" barrels that are choked very tight and really very tight. Such a gun would be a throw-away to many connoisseurs, but I like it, and it is fun to shoot. It does have a pistol grip and it did come with one originally. It was restocked back who-knows-when and it had a roll over cheek piece which held my head too high, so I cut it off and refinished the stock, which fixed that problem.

I do prefer side locks to box locks (which is why I got the L C Smith) but admit that, to a duffer like me, it probably makes no difference.

The over and under does give a more natural sighting plane than an SxS does, but in close quarters, a SxS doesn't have to be opened so far to get at a lower barrel, so is a bit handier when in cramped quarters. It's all about what you need, like, and want.

Because I'm not a shotgun type of person, under your criteria cited, I wouldn't even get another shotgun that was either SxS or over and under. I would like to have a Browning A5 semiauto. Since you said price doesn't matter, then lay on the engraving and fancy wood!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:41 am

Completely a matter of preference.
I have preferred a SXS as compared to an O/U.
Sports Shooters always prefer the O/U for competition.
Generally sighting is easier on an O/U as only one Barrel is visible.
In a SXS Shooters tend to align the target with the individual Barrel,
Depending on which Barrel he is going to discharge.
This is more out of instincts.
Though the correct way would be to keep the eyes on the Target,
And not on the Barrel or Bead on the Front Sight.
It is a matter of practice which becomes a habit, hence allowing the hand-eye coordination.
A Shotgun is a very personal thing, one gets used to his own Firearm.
In India where getting a Gun Fitted, is not an available option, the body makes adjustments to shoot accurately.
It takes me a couple of Shots to adjust to a Gun which belongs to a friend.
When I sold my Westley Richards (30") and purchased a Bernardelli (28"),(Both in SXS),
They were two completely different Guns, took me some time to adjust.
The Recoil in a SXS is much different to a O/U.
In a SXS the Barrels will pull left or right, depending on the one discharged.
Realigning back onto the target after the 1st shot is easier on an O/U,
As the Recoil is only upwards and not up+side(left or right), as is the case with a SXS.
The O/U are mostly heavier than an SXS.
This is one of the reasons why a SXS is a preferred Field Gun,
And an O/U is suited for Competition Shooting.
In the end it is a matter of personal choice and purpose of use.
Attached is a photo for those who are confused and cant decide between an SXS and O/U.

Regards,
Jr.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:28 pm

Side by side for hunting , Over under for Clays

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:15 pm

This one is a beautiful thread with healthy discussion. The kind of recoil SxS and O/U gun sends and the sight clearity are good points brought up in discussion. Thanks
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

kanzakibullet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kanzakibullet » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:41 pm

Thanks, everyone for your responses. So from the above discussion, I have gathered two points:
(i) The kind of shotgun one chooses depends on their personal preference.
(ii) It is more common to see O/U in competitions and SxS in hunting.

A bit off topic, but I was curious. In India, does one need a separate license in some states to have a double-barreled shotgun like Punjab? Does this mean that I do not need a separate license for a fully automatic Saiga-12 in 12 Gauge because it has a single barrel but I need a special "dunali" license for a Stevens 555 shotgun in 20 Gauge?

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:07 am

kanzakibullet wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:41 pm
(i) The kind of shotgun one chooses depends on their personal preference.
KB: Ultimately, this is probably true, but it's true about most everything else in life, so it really isn't a profound principle.

We might get to the root of this business by identifying what shapes our personal preferences, and I suppose this becomes a subject for psychologists at some point.

For instance (in relation to our subject), I have considered SMLE and French Berthier rifles to be ugly, but after learning about them and thinking about them, I find them attractive. Therefore, in accordance with my personal preferences, I got one of each.

Or, a Browning designed Winchester 1887 or 1901 lever action shotgun is generally considered unattractive, but I like them (although I've never gotten around to buying one). I'm intrigued by the simplicity of the mechanism, so the gun itself began to look nice. A similar principle (for me) would hold true for the Webley Fosbery automatic revolver, which is quite attractive to me and is a gun I'd love to own.

But yes, in the end, selecting a gun does come down to some sort of affinity for it. Whether this is based on rational selection, logic, or whim is something else. I may not approve of someone else's motivations for buying a particular gun, and many certainly do not agree with mine, but it's about whose money is being spent, isn't it?

As long as you are happy with what you get -- that's what it comes down to in the end.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:30 pm

Yes,I agree.
Specially in the Indian scenario,
It is a matter of availability and contacts.
Owning a Firearm, in India is completely based on an individual’s choice and fancy.
It is not based on an practical application.

Regards,
Jr.

ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:41 am

Great to be back after a year. Lovely thread to start with. Its difficult to buy an imported O/U Shotgun from a Gun dealer, Price of imported O/U starts from 5lacs (minimum) , Indian made about 50k (lacks quality) . Price of SxS is relatively very cheap but getting a good condition imported one is not easy. Never seen anybody here using a SXS for competition shooting.

If anybody is interested in Sports shooting get an Indian Trap Gun, join a Rifle Club and later shift to a better one once the game seriously attracts you.

Regards
Asif

Rakshith
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Rakshith » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:24 am

I like the side by side just because I think its a classy look.