Darne Model 1892 Rotary Shotgun

Posts related to shotguns.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Darne Model 1892 Rotary Shotgun

Post by Vikram » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:46 pm

Darne sliding breech shotguns are widely known and popular. This is a less known design by the same maker. Fascinating design.

It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Darne Model 1892 Rotary Shotgun

Post by timmy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:04 pm

Wow, what an interesting shotgun! I've long admired Darnes of the sliding breech type, but I've never seen or read anything about this shotgun.

I very much like the unique action. It is compact and even though one expects trimness in a 20 gauge, this looks quite elegant and slender. The entire double lock mechanism being housed in the breech block is very ingenious and attractive. If I was a magnate of some sort, I'd have to have examples of both models made by Darne!

As someone who (like Ian McCollum) appreciates French design and engineering, I enjoyed watching this video immensely. Thanks for posting it here, Vikram!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:01 am

Cheers, Tim.

Initially, I thought that the design was needlessly complex and time-consuming. However, that changed as I watched twice Ian operating it. Probably takes a fraction of a second more than the more traditional break-open design. I think I can live with that.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:19 am

Considering the metal that funs along side of the chamber area of a break open shotgun, it would seem that this rotating breech system would have some weight advantage over a conventional break open action. Also, it would tend to move the balance point to the rear a little bit. It would be fun to take a few practice swings with this gun.

Also, the wear point of a break open action is the pivot point. How this might be corrected by a better heat treatment or metallurgical composition, I don't know, but I wonder whether this Darne system would be more robust when it comes to wear.

Finally, the break open action does have a weak point, in that the upper edge of the breech is where the greatest stress from firing pressure occurs. "Doll's Head" and rotary bolt schemes (such as the LC Smith) have been used to offset this issue. I wonder whether this Darne action offers advantages in action strength.

It would be a fun thing to take such a gun to the range in a DS-21 or SM Citroën, for sure!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman