Posts related to shotguns.
Bharadwaj VS
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Skeet practice with S/s Dbbl gun

Post by Bharadwaj VS » Tue May 16, 2023 3:46 pm

Hi,
Am possessing a italian s/s Dbbl gun with me,
Can I start practise skeet shooting or trap shooting with the existing One or should I posses only O/U model gun?
Pls educate me In this
Regards
Bharadwaj

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Skeet practice with S/s Dbbl gun

Post by Vikram » Wed May 17, 2023 12:57 am

I do not see any reason why you should not start with a SXS. See how you progress with your scores. Also, try with O/Us that could be rented from the range, if available. Depending on your progress and dedication to the sport, you could go for an O/U of a decent make?
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Bharadwaj VS
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Bharadwaj VS » Wed May 17, 2023 8:24 am

Thanks vikram,
So I can start using with existing s*s dbbl ,Am I right??

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed May 17, 2023 3:30 pm

Bharadwaj VS wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:24 am
Thanks vikram,
So I can start using with existing s*s dbbl ,Am I right??
Before you start, have it checked by a competent gunsmith, if you can find one, for any defects, cracks in the stock, etc. Also, make sure that the cartridges you use are appropriate for your gun. Many older guns tend to have 2,1/2" (65mm) chambers where as modern target cartridges are 2,3/4" (70mm) long. You can fire the shorter cartridges in guns with longer chambers but not the other way round.

Also, if it is too light, recoil could be an issue when you are firing a large number of cartridges. The only way you will find out is by shooting with it. The way one shoots with a SXS is slightly different from how one shoots with an O/U. But, it doesn't mean that SXS are not suitable for clay shooting. They are used a lot though not as much as O/Us.

My concern would be whether the gun I have is in good condition but not whether it is suitable for clay shooting. At least in the initial stages.

There are more experienced people on this forum. I hope they share their views.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Get the gun fitted to you and your shooting style, get the chokes chopped off unless they are cylinder/ cylinder or similar open chokes - that and and some good amount of practice can get you through state or even zonal level.

You'll still be at a disadvantage vi's a vi's those using single trigger O/U guns, but in skeet it can be done.

Back in the 1990's rare talented chaps have even made it to nationals with similar set up. That said, you're getting into an F1 race using a street car... so expect a lot of heartache and an uphill battle.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun May 21, 2023 10:56 am

Forgot the mention the obvious - all of 24 gram load ammo (per ISSF rules you cannot use heavier loads) available at clubs/ associations is of 70mm (2.75") case length, so please ensure the gun you use has 70mm (2.75") or longer chambers.

In fact, even in the open market it'll be next to impossible to find 24 gram loads in any length other than 70mm.

If it's got 65mm (2.5") chambers, you'll not be able to use the longer case length ammo.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein