Webley & Scott DBBL information

Posts related to shotguns.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:05 pm

I would seriously doubt a W&S being custom built for royalty! They simply were never quite in that class of fine guns...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:00 am

Yes absolutely right. Webley scott was a good gun mass produced for middle markets to lower markets.

It was a gun for the officer or an occasional shooter, the kind of stuff you bought at supply stores before leaving for the colonial lands or at gun dealers in Calcutta, Madras or other places.

No Royalty, Aristocrat, Keen Sportsman would pick up a Webley Scott as his first choice.

Webley Scott would come in Category C with I Hollis, Midland etc. and imports from Manton & Co., I R Rodda, Lion & Lion etc.

Class A would be H & H, Boss, Purdey, John Manton, Churchill etc.

Class B more like Atkins, Tolly, Wesley Richards, W & C Scott, Charles Lanchaster, Hussey, Gibbs, Greener, Top end Jeffery Sidelocks, Top end Army & Navy guns, William Evans.

However these guns ( Webley 700 series ) have become somewhat of a collectors item these days and an old gun in good consition can fetch anything from GBP 1200 to 1500. ( Source - Shooting Times )

Ray Ward GUnsmiths in London had a few second hand ones for sale in their off Sloane street showroom for prices in the region of GBP 2000.

Price of the new Italian made Webley Scott 720 and 712 were also quoted in a British sporting magazine last year. Will post the new prices as soon as I am able to lay my hands on that issue again, should be there in the house somewhere.

The authoer had recieved a 20 Bore and describes the shooting results with it in that article.

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:09 pm

According to the sooting Gazette, UK, the New Webley guns are retailed at GBP 1900 to 2000.

I was browsing through the 125th anniversary issue of Shooting Times & Country Magazine.

An ad from Saturday, May 12, 1945 for Webley guns has a picture of an allied forces soldier ready to return home. He is looking at a flight of partridges and wondering "Now if I only had my Webley"

The body copy reads :

Sooner or later the noise of battle will cease and thousands od sportsmen now in Khaki and blue will be shouldering their Webley Sporting Guns.

Webley and Scott Ltd. Birmingham, England.

Established 150 years ago.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:12 pm

I could be mistaken - but didn't W&S buy all their shotguns from the Birmingham trade? Or did they actually make any themselves?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Webley & Scott DBBL information

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Sorry Abhijeet - you`re wrong.
Webley & Scott not only made their own guns but were one of the largest trade makers and made guns for many so-called `gunmakers`. H&Hs `Dominion` model was built by W&S.
Between the wars W&S made a superb SLE under both the W&S and Philip Webley names. Not common, very under-rated and consequently usually a bargain when one turns up.
The new Webley shotguns are foreign imports - mostly, if not exclusively, Turkish in origin. They undergo proof testing at the Birmingham Proof House ..... but that doesn`t make them British.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:46 am

Webley Scott have been gunmakers since 1795.
Used to be so till they closed down production facilities very recently.

It needs to be checked as to wether Webley Scott are the same as W & C scott. ( or only a subsidary of the whole company W & C scott, H & H purchased W & C scott in 1980s but Webley Scott also ceased shotgun production in 1979 )

The H & H Cavalier model guns came from W & C scott and almost all barrels come from there today.

A modern day Italian made model 700, wither 712 or 720 is based on an Anson & Deeley action like the Birmingham made ones except.

Action table is narower
Interchangable chokes are offered now besides normal SxS fixed choke guns.
The hook on the front lump is bigger and improved
Action mechanism is different- a coil spring powers the top lever rather than traditinal V type spring.

SIngle trigger without selection lever is on offer right now.

Some Webley Air Rifles are also on offer, wonder the origin.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:39 am

Webley and Scott were independent gunmakers until they amalgagated in 1897. Philip Webley & Sons made revolvers ( and target rifles ) W & C Scott made shotguns and rifles and were mostly trade makers. The third party to the amalgamation was the firm of Richard Ellis & Sons.
The claimed dating of 1790 for the establishment of the company refers to the firm of William Davis who Webley amalgamated with in 1838.
The Webley name is currently owned by AGS - best known for their `Logun` brand of air rifles........which are actually made in Sweden.
The current 700 range of SxS shotguns bear certain similarities to the original 700 range.......but only a passing resemblence. They`re built by CNC machines. The original 700 range were the first semi-production line shotguns built in the UK but still required a certain amount of hand fitting.
The current Webley company make nothing and have no direct connection with any previous incarnation of the company other than the name.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:22 pm

The current Webley shotguns are made by an Italian firm who also make shotguns for a number of other brands.

For that matter Webley guns may come up now from Turkish, Russian or other sources as well.

Turkish guns are good. Not elegant, but very functional. Much better than any ofering from IOF for that matter.

Kenny
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Kenny » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:03 am

Does any have webley 12g dbbl gun for sale inthat condition if yes then pls contact me i want to buy one my email is [email protected]

-- Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am --

Does any have webley 12g dbbl gun for sale inthat condition if yes then pls contact me i want to buy one my email is [email protected]

-- Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am --