Patiala's 12g Westley Richards Explora

Posts related to shotguns.
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:44 pm

A little contribution from me for IFG members. :)

Made by Westley Richards for Maharaja of Patiala. Exquisite droplock paradox guns built in 1911 for the Maharaja of Patiala, extra set of 20 gauge barrels by W-R in 1976. All barrels are 28 inches long. They don't get better than this. An all time classic.

For Advertising mail webmaster
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:50 pm

I have a few more maharaja of patiala gun's photographs to share but will post another day.

gatsby
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Patiala's 12g Westley Richards Explora

Post by gatsby » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 am

Evidently, the Maharaja had an affinity for rifled choke guns, I can understand that! Beautiful guns all.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:51 am

danish21";p="51432 wrote: A little contribution from me for IFG members. :)

Made by Westley Richards for Maharaja of Patiala. Exquisite droplock paradox guns built in 1911 for the Maharaja of Patiala, extra set of 20 gauge barrels by W-R in 1976. All barrels are 28 inches long. They don't get better than this. An all time classic.
Courtesy: http://www.griffinhowe.com/

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:01 am

Yes it was sold in 1975-77 dont really have a clue.There were no digital cameras then.What I have is just these two black and white pictures in my collection. I think it was a pair... may be a 470 0r a 30 super..or may be just 12 bore.
Last edited by art_collector on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:05 am

art_collector";p="51530 wrote: Yes it was sold in 1975-77 dont really have a clue.There were no digital cameras then.What I have is just these two black and white pictures in my collection. I think it was a pair... may be a 470 0r a 30 super
Did you notice the striking similarity between the engravings on one of the actions in the photos posted by Danish, and the engravings on the action in the photos you posted? Could they possibly be the same? Were they sold back to Westley Richards by any chance?

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:15 am

Any idea what would a oak and leather gun carrying case for three guns very similar to the gun case by Westley Richards in the pictures above cost these days. I recently happed to see one with some one.The gun case is made by James Purdey & Sons .and has brass corners and simply superb locks...

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 am

Even I am just seeing that similarity. I think it went to them may be....
Last edited by art_collector on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:20 am

art_collector";p="51533 wrote:Any idea what would a oak and leather gun carrying case for three guns very similar to the gun case by Westley Richards in the pictures above cost these days. I recently happed to see one with some one.The gun case is made by James Purdey & Sons .and has brass corners and simply superb locks...
No clue AC, but I suspect it would sell for more overseas than it could ever fetch here in India... After all, how many people (these days) in India even own three shotguns!!

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 am

The guns in the picture that I posted and the ones by danish are the same.Only regret is never had a chance to admire these beautiful masterpieces...and most of them were sold at dime a dozen kind of prices

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:53 am

One of these days I am going to make it down to this shop. With Wall Street bonuses iffy the costs of these guns should come down atleast a bit even they will be out of my range.

best

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Saw a bit of Tipu's collection at his sumer palace a few days back. Photography not permitted; they looked good. Only problem, as always is that it was horribly maintained and did not look like it will stand long enough for my grand children to see it :(
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

[email protected]
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by [email protected] » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 pm

TenX";p="51566 wrote:Saw a bit of Tipu's collection at his sumer palace a few days back. Photography not permitted; they looked good. Only problem, as always is that it was horribly maintained and did not look like it will stand long enough for my grand children to see it :(
Isn't this the case with many museums and collections there? On my last visit to one of Patiala's palaces, I saw an incredible assortment of great and very rare guns rusting away. They are losing a lot of money day by day there and no one seems to care. On the other extreme, the English take care of our old stuff better than can be imagined :roll:

Raj
Raj M. Singh
U.S.A.

India's Mahatma Gandhi said:
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 am

Deserve's a bump. :wink: :cheers:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

kaku ganda
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kaku ganda » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:05 pm