For US members - check out the mint Browning A-5 at G&H

Posts related to shotguns.
mehulkamdar

For US members - check out the mint Browning A-5 at G&H

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:47 am

Naren/Navdeep,

If either of you guys is on the lookout for a shotgun, there is a fine Browning A-5 on sale at Griffin and Howe without the case for $ 400. It is a 3" magnum and that is why I suspect it is a Japanese A-5 and not a Belgian one though that does not make it any worse as far as use is concerned. A friend who saw it told me about it and I checked and found that it was listed on their website http://griffinhowe.com/usedgun-sg.cfm Just scroll down the page.

These are lovely guns and this is a good price. Just compare prices at Gunbroker or Auctionarms and you'll see why. Also, buying from Griffin and Howe would guarantee a gun that is in good shape.

Cheers,

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:21 am

Oh my god, there is some fancy stuff there.

The Browning A5 looks very good, but I will have to wait a while before I make another firearm purchase. The Sig P220 ate up most of my budget for the summer (and fall).

But thanks for the link Mehul, I have added the site to my favorites and will visit it regularly.

-Naren

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:58 pm

Mehul

Thanks for the info.. great link my long gun permit should be in by July the latest. Now how does this work if I call them up will they guide me to dealer with ftd permit in NYC area?

Navdeep

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:28 pm

Navdeep,

Griffin and Howe have a New York as well as New Jerssey FFL. They should be able to handle whatever formalities are involved for you in NYC once you get your license. Tha A-5 is a nice gun, very little can go wrong with it and you should have great fun shooting it. Just buy a Kolpin case for it - I got mine for $ 10 over here though G&H would charge more and you'll be ready to go.

This being a 3" model, you may never need to buy another shotgun in the future if you care for it. And you could hunt small game as well as deer if you have a 1/4 choke (Improved cylinder) choke for the barrel. Even if G&H don't have extra chokes you can buy them on the net for your gun without trouble.

Normally G&H prices are ridiculously high but this guns is priced very nicely. If you are certain that you want to buy it, I would suggest that you contact them and make a deposit on it so they keep it for you pending your getting your license. As soon as you have the license you should be able to pick it up. Now that the A-5 is no longer made, there are two trends. Guns in good, near original shape are more and more in demand while older, beaten guns are often bought relatively cheap for hard use. Some people complain that A-5s kick hard but I have no problem at all with them, and I am not a recoil junkie by any standard. If I could shoot one for long strings, happily, I am sure a young shooter like you could happily do much better than me.

Cheers,

Mehul

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Mehul

Thanks for the feedback.. I wil lthink about the deposit because of lic issue and if they charge any fee or I might change my mind.. I am flattered when you said " young shooter" I have more than one grey hair and recoil was something I was concerned about. Because I really want to go something like O/U but cost is a big factor and this year seems liek semi autos are the trend here per one of the magazine. They also rated winchester X3 really high?

Regards
navi

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:42 am

Navdeep,

Speaking of recoil, ANY semi auto would recoil less than a double because of the way the action works, using either recoil or gas energy to cycle the action. Also, semi autos tend to be heavier than doubles, which also contributes to their kicking less, somewhat.

Personally, I think the A-5 stood head and shoulders above all of it's contemporaries though later designs like the Remington 100, Benelli etc may be softer kicking and much lighter in weight due to their use of more advanced materials. That said, unless you use heavy duck loads in your gun, you will hardly even notice the recoil, if you buy the A-5, that is.

I like the A-5s because they are very simple guns - hardly anything can go wrong with them and they are built to last almost forever. Old A-5s made by FN/Browning as well as Remington which are almost 100 years old, continue to be used in the field with no adverse effects after year upon year of shooting and hunting. They are a fantastic tribute to the genius of the man who developed them - John Moses Browning, one of the greatest geniuses in gun design, ever.

I do not have much experience with the WInchester X3 but Winchester make good guns though their quality has waxed and waned over the years. Just check out a few of them and decide .

Cheers,

Mehul

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:03 am

Mehul

This is what they charge for a gun:
1. 1/3 payment of gun over three months in equal installments
2. They can FFL to Greenwich store or Beretta Gallery near my house

So I am constrained by my permit ETA...

I will visit Beretta Gallery this week and also contact CDNN for pistol

Thanks
Navdeep

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:00 am

Navdeep,

If Griffin and Howe offer you a three instalment payment plan, and if you could afford to buy this gun, go for it. Personally, I have shot the Beretta A 301 and didn't like it. It also comes with an external screw on choke which looks ugly to my eye. A new one would, also, not be cheap.

In any case, try shooting a few guns and then decide on what you will have to have. Nothing is better than trying a few different models from different manufacturers.

Best wishes,

Mehul

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:10 am

Mehul

A5 cost is actually very reasonable..its just that lic permits ETA is iffy so I can be penalized on installments. I am also thinking and negotiating with the bozz of the house if I can be sanctioned some extra monies for a decent OU. Even used on on GH is for $1200 but for the same price I can get a brand new Semi. Dont know whether its a good idea to go for a brand new shotgun as afirst buy

Gun ranges around NYC only allow permit holders to shoot.

Thanks
Navdeep

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:33 am

Link from chuckhawks on A5 I like this quote "Maybe it is just me, but I swear that dogs hunt better, pheasants fall faster, the skies are bluer, and the birds even taste better when an A-5 is involved. When you swing a walnut and steel A-5, you're not just pointing a shotgun--you are swinging an American dream"
http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5.htm

Enjoy
Navdeep

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Navdeep,

The Chuck Hawks site is always a good source of information for beginners and advanced shooters alike. This quote is a lovely one, though, of course, it could be applied to any gun that someone really loves. Personally I agree with it as it is because I really love the A-5.

Thanks, buddy,

Mehul