How much of the barrel or rib should one see....

Posts related to shotguns.
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Nice Info... Thanx, Wanna ask one thing is it advisable to rest the cheek first on the stock before resting the stock on the shoulder????????Does it makes any difference(preferbly in skeet shooting).
Thanks
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: How much of the barrel or rib should one see....

Post by Grumpy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:01 am

As the gun is pre-mounted for Skeet it doesn`t actually make any difference except that if you put your cheek to the stock first you will have to reposition it as the gun comes back to the shoulder.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:04 am

Grumpy, a superbly informative post.Thank you very much.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:01 pm

Grumpy,

Regarding gun fit, I was seeing a video on Sporting Clays and the presenter mentioned that correct gun fit was not determined by the length between the crook of the arm to the first pad of the trigger finger but by the distance between the ball of the right hand (for a right handed shooter) whilst gripping the gun and the front of the cheek - namely, 1" to 1 1/2".

They did not mention anything about stock cast though.

As for the sighting plane, they were suggesting an almost flat sighting plane as you were.

Just thought this would be of interest to the others as well.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Grumpy";p="9433 wrote:As the gun is pre-mounted for Skeet
Dunno if things have changed, but when I shot ISU / UIT / ISSF (the buggers keep changing their name every few years, hard to keep up :P ) regulation skeet in the Nationals/ State tourneys here (early-mid90's)... we could only mount the gun after sighting the bird... the trap chappies however got to pre-mount before calling for the birds... Is there a change in the ISSF regulations? Or is there a difference in how skeet is shot in Britain?

Mounting the gun only after sighting the birds was one of the things I personally liked about skeet... makes it a lot more like wing shooting...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Last edited by mundaire on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:46 pm

I was wondering about that,Abhijeet. All the Olympic style Skeet tourneys I saw, did not allow pre-mounting.You have to spot the bird before you do that.Need to read a bit on skeet in Britain and wait for Grumpy's response.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:46 am

I`ve got to admt that I couldn`t say what the current regulations are - when I shot Skeet as a junior many years ago the gun wasn`t mounted until after the bird appeared. Years later, shooting American Skeet, the gun was pre-mounted. Nowadays, on the rare occasions that I shoot a round of Skeet with a friend, we have the course to ourselves and the `rules` are what we decide......usually a variation on Skeet Doubles with pairs being launched from each station - including Station 8.
I can`t keep track of the name changes to the governing body either and still think in terms of `ISU` Trap/Skeet although I`m pretty sure that the ISSF is the body responsible for all International - Olympic type - shooting events nowadays.
I`ve just checked and ISSF Skeet is shot gun down.
Full rules for ISSF Shotgun Clay Shooting disciplines can be viewed at:
http://www.issf-shooting.org/rules/engl ... 5_2nd.html