Another 1911? SIG-SAUER 1911-22 review

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Another 1911?

Post by TC » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi xl_target,

A wonderful test report. This 1911 avatar is surely much more than a plinker. Good weapon... love the the factory thread and protector !!
Will sure love to hear some of the "horror stories" on Mosquito !!.

Thanks once again for the test report.

Regards

TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Hey Xl.. it would be great if you could do a video of the disassembly
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 am

With the Bobcat, shooting 36 gr. Mini Mags, we averaged 866 fps. Approx 61 ft. lbs.
With the SIG 1911-22, shooting 36 gr Mini Mags, we averaged 1074 fps. Approx 97 ft. lbs.
With the Bobcat, shooting 32 gr. CCI Stingers, we averaged 967.6 fps, Approx 68 ft. lbs.
WIth the SIG 1911-22, shooting 32 gr. CCI stingers, we averaged 1294.5 fps, approx 124 ft. lbs
XL: very interesting figures -- Thanks. My take would have been to expect a difference with these high powered .22 rounds, but still, that's quite a bit of difference. The little short stubby barrel must have a very significant amount of powder burning after the bullet has left.

I've got to get one of those chronographs! Thanks again.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 pm

spin_drift wrote:Hey Xl.. it would be great if you could do a video of the disassembly
spin_drift
There is a video on You Tube already by someone else
This is the same gun that I have (except for the fake supressor)

[youtube][/youtube]
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice . Really nice little thing.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:21 am

xl_target wrote:Kalyan Sahib and Baljit,
Its great to see that you are enjoying your visit together. Please send us lots of photos of your visit.

Since Baljit has had this handgun longer, any of his observations or comments would be welcome.
Kalyan, your impressions on using it for the first time would certainly be welcome too.
Post your targets and your photos, guys.
Thank you very much... Yes Sir XL - on the way (It's a lot of time consuming effort collating / naming pictures and then - narrating...phew!)

My quick impressions of this weapon very light trigger, low recoil, very fast and fun gun...although need to allow for full trigger release before depressing again

Baljit really loves this gun, says it is inexpensive ammo, but very picky about ammo, lots of fun to shoot - loved toy.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 pm

ckkalyan wrote: My quick impressions of this weapon very light trigger, low recoil, very fast and fun gun...although need to allow for full trigger release before depressing again
Kalyan and Baljit,
When I went to the range yesterday, I made a conscious effort to check the reset on the trigger as I had never experienced having to release the trigger fully. On my gun, the reset is very short, mere millimeters, it seems.
I held the trigger all the way back after firing and then slowly released till I felt it reset, then I pulled the trigger again and it fired. This has the shortest reset of any of my handguns.
I wonder why there is a difference between the two pistols?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:18 am

TC wrote:Hi xl_target,

A wonderful test report. This 1911 avatar is surely much more than a plinker. Good weapon... love the the factory thread and protector !!
Will sure love to hear some of the "horror stories" on Mosquito !!.

Thanks once again for the test report.

Regards

TC
TC,
The SIG Mosquito is not made by SIG. It, like the 1911-22 that I have is made by someone else for SIG. I have, over the years read a lot of complaints from mosquito owners about various issues. Two weekends ago, I asked a friend to bring his SIG Mosquito over to shoot. He has problems with it all the time.

What I found: The Mosquito came with two recoil springs, one for standard velocity .22 LR and one for high velocity rounds. The stock pistol comes with the HV spring installed. So trying to shoot std. velocity ammo in there is not a good idea till the spring is changed out. This particular pistol was also bone dry. Not a drop of oil anywhere! I lubed it and cleaned it and gave him a box of Mini Mags and that seemed to fix the problem. I don't know if there are large numbers of people who suffer from reading comprehension and/or lazyness but I found the part about the different recoil springs right away in the manual.

After the fluff and buff and a diet of Mini Mags, the gun worked fine for both of us, even with rapid fire magazine dumps.

However, there are a lot of people who are having issues with the Mosquito.
Google "SIG Mosquito Problems"
Here are some of the many that I found.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 87779.html
http://www.gunatics.com/forums/pistols/ ... blems.html
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgu ... -help.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfwIyMW-WA

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Another 1911? SIG-SAUER 1911-22 review

Post by Sakobav » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Xl would you recommend swapping my Browning Buckmark for this toy? I wont get much for my 22 pistol last time I was offered $50 ...

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi Xl, the knife in the picture appears to be a Gerber Mark 1 Boot knife. Going by the OD Handle and leather sheath it's a 70's model. Post pics in the sharp section when you can. Nice knife :)

Sorry for digressing from the topic.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:51 am

ngrewal wrote:Xl would you recommend swapping my Browning Buckmark for this toy? I wont get much for my 22 pistol last time I was offered $50 ...
Sorry Navi,
I didn't see this earlier. My thought on this is that if you have a Buckmark and like it, keep it. The Buckmark is a good solid proven pistol and will last a life time.
Hi Xl, the knife in the picture appears to be a Gerber Mark 1 Boot knife. Going by the OD Handle and leather sheath it's a 70's model. Post pics in the sharp section when you can. Nice knife
Moin,
It's a no name Japanese knife that I bought in the early 1980's. It is supposed to be made of 440 stainless.
I did actually wear it a lot. I wore cowboy boots all the way through college and till some years ago and it works well with them. I never needed it though. Once I got my permit, I stopped carrying a boot knife.
A few years ago a friend told me eh would sharpen it for me and he couldn't. It came back with the blade badly scratched and ground down. I will have to have it professionally polished and sharpened. I guess it has sentimental value to me.

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 am

I've shot the Brownings and the Rugers and owned a Sigarms Trailside... and than I shot XL's 1911 at the last IFG outing at Mark's. I must admit the gun is rock solid and shoots amazing.

Awesome buy for someone who's looking to get a .22 handgun!!

Cheers,
Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks Xl for the advise to keep Bucksmark I was duped by the seller but thats another story

best