.38 Smith and wesson

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Kharasingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

.38 Smith and wesson

Post by Kharasingh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi guys. I have inherited a .38 top break 5 shot CTG Smith and Wesson. I want to know what model it is or year of manufacture if anyone can identify. It has lost some of its bluing etc which can be fixed. I want to know is it worth applying for the on licence as I will get it under the heirloom policy. Or should I just get a .32 instead. I don't know how old this weapon is and if it will sustain modern ammo. Pls advise. ThanksImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: .38 Smith and wesson

Post by mundaire » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:29 pm

First impression is that this is most likely chambered for the .38 S&W aka .38-200, which is under the restricted category of calibres (prohibited bore/ "P" bore / PB in common lingo).

In which case while a license under heirloom category is possible, it would be a herculean task for most citizens - as it has to be recommended by local licensing authority to state home department, who in turn will have to recommend it to the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India (Delhi). The last currently being the sole authority with the power to issue such licenses.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Kharasingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Kharasingh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:51 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. That is what I'm double minded about. I will get the licience that will not be an issue. My issue is whether it is worth it , will it fire well with modern ammo and what model or year of manufacture could this weapon be

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm

It would be at least 60-70 years old, if not more as I don't think Smith and Wesson made these type of revolvers after the 1950's. I could be wrong though, the best way to get an exact date of manufacture would be to send an e-mail to Smith and Wesson with the serial no. and photos of the revolver.

As to ammunition, IOF does produce this calibre for sale to the police forces, but I have not seen it retailing in a civilian gun shop for a long time. Guess there isn't enough demand for them to bother stocking it.

.38-200, is a smokeless round, so it is "modern" in that aspect - though it produces far less energy as compared to many other .38 calibre cartridges.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Kharasingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Kharasingh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Thank you brother

SARGE7402
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by SARGE7402 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 pm

First this is a S&W Perfected
Hope the information below helps
https://www.gun-tests.com/special_repor ... Xfp-yhKjIU
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Kharasingh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Kharasingh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:03 am

Wow . Thank you so much.

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Very nice reading material SARGE7402.
Did not know about the Perfected Model.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Jr.

SARGE7402
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by SARGE7402 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 pm

You're welcome.. Now let's figure out how to get one of your webley .32 Clones here to the states
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 pm

SARGE7402 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 pm
You're welcome.. Now let's figure out how to get one of your webley .32 Clones here to the states
:lol: :lol: Considering the choices available to you, are you really willing to pay US$ 1,300 or thereabouts for a product made by Indian Ordnance Factories??!! :shock:

www.gunowners.in