what weapons do the police and other govt orgs have

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:38 pm

eljefe";p="58697 wrote: how bout a handful of 38 rev ammo for a glock? and go out, curse and try to stuff magazine, actually get a few in, get mistake pointed out by colleague, stare in disbelief, unload and go back into armoury for pistol ammo?
I have seen this happen at one thana...the only difference being that the armourer handing the guy a fistfull of bullets and saying check kare lena bhai 38 ya 9mm hai. The cop looked like he was used to this.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by browning » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 pm

Last edited by browning on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: what wepaons do the police and other govt orgs have

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:55 pm

A small update since the Mumbai thing got me in the mood....

Feels like a breath of fresh air...finally our establishment is (well, even though rather sluggishly) has bee shopping rather imaginatively.

Like I mentioned OT on another post, the NSG seems to have procured of some Swiss SIG SG551 SWAT rifles.

SG551 here

Not to mention we're finally shedding the older S-E-F H&K MP5A3s with newer MP5F types.

The PSG-1s are old.

And holy god almighty!- I saw footage of an NSG bloke letting rip with an old 7.62mmBren! come on where are the Negevs and Minimis?

Newer Dragunovs (Folding stocked SVD-S) for the MARCOS as opposed to the older wood stocked SVD.

Also some what unrelated but still interesting is the recent upgrade in the SPG's manpower and armament... now it seems to be a totally FN affair.

SPG Upgrade

FN FiveseveNFN FiveseveN
FN P90
FN F2000

Nice boots as well :)

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi CC: Saw the Steyr and the MP 5s. Can you tell us about the MP 5Fand how to spot it ?
Also saw a sniper version of a G3 (?), it appeared to be nickle plated. The Steyr appeared to have a scope that I've usually seen on a Druganov. Also saw an older wooden-furniture (not a Bulgarian) AK with a scope with flip-up covers with the Bombay ATS. Not a Minimi or Negev in sight.

Ashok

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:31 am

lazybones";p="60354 wrote:Hi CC: Saw the Steyr and the MP 5s. Can you tell us about the MP 5Fand how to spot it ?
Also saw a sniper version of a G3 (?), it appeared to be nickle plated. The Steyr appeared to have a scope that I've usually seen on a Druganov. Also saw an older wooden-furniture (not a Bulgarian) AK with a scope with flip-up covers with the Bombay ATS. Not a Minimi or Negev in sight.

Ashok
Hi Ashok,

Steyr? I dont remember seeing a Steyr anywhere? the only Steyr I know of in the Indian inventory is the SSG69- that too I've seen only with the BSF.

Perhaps you were referring to some of the scoped SG551's which were fitted with the vertical hand grip in the front. Form some angles I almost mistook them for Steyr AUGs as well.

About the MP5F...well I meant to say they resemble the MP5F.

'F' stands for French- the MP5F was a slightly (ever so slightly) modified version for a specific 35,000 piece French order. The 'improvements' are subtle and most folks would miss it. Externally, the most prominent is the slightly altered butt stock which now has a thick rubber pad, and a small sling loop on the toe of the butt, the butt stock release doesn't resemble the old "Vicks cough drop" type, also all the sling attachment points are ambidextrous now, small changes in the mechanism, mostly in relation to springs, and finally, a slightly altered cocking handle assembly.

Also the current(Not exactly very new) trigger module that includes the pistol grip and selector is a world apart from the older S-E-F type. Primarily the finger grooves on the pistol grip have been done away with, leaving only a lip in the bottom toe area. The contours have been simplified. The selector switch is simpler in design and is ambidextrous and the 'S-E-F' mode markings have given way to stylized red and white symbols of cartridges to indicate the firing mode. A white crossed out 'bullet' in a rectangle signifies 'Safe', a red bullet in a rectangle means 'semi', several red ones mean "Full Auto", additionally, as per customers requirement, tri-burst enabled versions will have three red bullets placed between semi and full auto. These improvements were incorporated on production MP5s from the 90's.

Now it seems (I've been a bit out of date) most of these improvements are now standardized with all H&K MP5's that are being produced and are officially designated MP5N.....so its the MP5N now.

The sniper version of the G3 as you mentioned is the PSG-1. They appear nickle plated because they are old and worn (dating back to the 80's, I assume). Superb rifles and stinking expensive.

The Dragunov traditionally uses the PSO-1 (Do not confuse with PSG-1 rifle!!)scope, though I assume, over the years this tired piece of optics must have been replaced in production runs by better and upto date scopes.

Ya I've also seen the optics on some of the ATS AKs (Russian AKMS) seems to be a recent purchase. Looks like a generic red-dot sighting unit. Perhaps that made by that Indian company (I forget the name and the website)

As regards the Minimis and the Negev... I was just putting in some wishful thinking :)
I'm told that small batches of Minimi's may have been procured for the SPG and NSG in the 90's. I can;t verify that.

Negev?....well with the Negev being displayed in IOF pavilions at various Expos, I thought it'd be logical to get hold of a few without much difficulty.

Also again going a bit OT, noticed the Terrorist's picture in CST(The side profile midget) - quite unusually, the turd is using an East German MPiKMS-72 or more likely, it's current Romanian avatar. I cant comment on the other AKs other than assuming they'd be the more common second-generation Type-56-1 assault rifles. Very odd and perhaps these are attempts to offset obvious links. That's of course not to say the Romanians are now backing terror in India! :)
Last edited by cottage cheese on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:53 am

I read somewhere that the Negev is being produced with License from Israel, by the OFB... Is it true?
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:17 am

TenX";p="60372 wrote:I read somewhere that the Negev is being produced with License from Israel, by the OFB... Is it true?
Hi Ten,

I've not been able to get much info on this other than seeing the NEGEV on display in the IOF pavilions during Expos.

One must only assume that the arrangement with Israel is to either be simply a marketing front for TAAS products or we are license producing it for god knows what. I haven't seen it in service yet.

Well its the IOFB so don't expect to get any useful information out of the matter :)

regards,
cc

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:03 am

cottage cheese";p="60373 wrote: ...Well its the IOFB so don't expect to get any useful information out of the matter :)...
You may be right there... But I was wondering if India's joint training with Israel gave any leads to IOFB .. :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:00 pm

MP-10, more correctly,MP-5 chambered for 10mm. That new. Where did you see that in Mumbai ?
ravizz";p="57732 wrote:What i've seen with Mumbai Police are Titan Tiger rev,s&w mp10,s&w .38spl bodyguard,ruger
super six, glock and few llama revolvers

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:04 pm

The sniper version of the Swiss SIG SG551 was carried by NSG in Mumbai. Photos of same appeared in ToI and local newspapers. The SIGs are used for quite some time.

NSG also uses the M-16 and silenced versions of MP-5 (MP-5SD3/5) and the briefcase version of the MP-5K.

What is interesting is in Mumbai, the NSG and the IN-Marcos did not carry their AK's (to avoid overpenetration, maybe) and also did not carry NVGs. The NSG were severely handicapped during their operation at Akshardham, when they forgot to carry the AKs (for longer reach) and NVGs (for a night assault).

cottage cheese";p="60347 wrote:A small update since the Mumbai thing got me in the mood....

Feels like a breath of fresh air...finally our establishment is (well, even though rather sluggishly) has bee shopping rather imaginatively.

Like I mentioned OT on another post, the NSG seems to have procured of some Swiss SIG SG551 SWAT rifles.

SG551 here

Not to mention we're finally shedding the older S-E-F H&K MP5A3s with newer MP5F types.

The PSG-1s are old.

And holy god almighty!- I saw footage of an NSG bloke letting rip with an old 7.62mmBren! come on where are the Negevs and Minimis?

Newer Dragunovs (Folding stocked SVD-S) for the MARCOS as opposed to the older wood stocked SVD.

Also some what unrelated but still interesting is the recent upgrade in the SPG's manpower and armament... now it seems to be a totally FN affair.

SPG Upgrade

FN FiveseveNFN FiveseveN
FN P90
FN F2000

Nice boots as well :)

regards,
cc

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:18 am

fantumfan2003";p="60396 wrote:The sniper version of the Swiss SIG SG551 was carried by NSG in Mumbai. Photos of same appeared in ToI and local newspapers. The SIGs are used for quite some time.

NSG also uses the M-16 and silenced versions of MP-5 (MP-5SD3/5) and the briefcase version of the MP-5K.

What is interesting is in Mumbai, the NSG and the IN-Marcos did not carry their AK's (to avoid overpenetration, maybe) and also did not carry NVGs. The NSG were severely handicapped during their operation at Akshardham, when they forgot to carry the AKs (for longer reach) and NVGs (for a night assault).
Hi FF,

I didn't know the SG 551 has been there for some time. Thanks for that one.

I do remember some insiders telling me there were a handful of M16's but they seemingly were those of an evaluation batch.

The MP5SD3's are certainly the older S-E-F types. I haven't seen SD5's. Most of these seem really old and used- I wonder if they avail of after sales technical support- you know...for the sliencers-They have a relatively shortish life and certainly its a long time since they were procured in the late 80's.

Are you sure the NSG uses the briefcase MP5K's? Whatever for? Seen them only with the SPG...tried one back many years back.

regards,
cc

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:41 am

Hi CC:
Thanks for that great post. I figured it was a Steyr from the sniper stock that was typical Steyr. I may be wrong though. The scope on it threw me off. We Indians are masters of reuse :) Any idea of the life of an MP 5 barrel ? -given that these guys practice daily using high volumes of fire.

Ashok

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 am

lazybones";p="60443 wrote:Hi CC:
Any idea of the life of an MP 5 barrel ? -given that these guys practice daily using high volumes of fire.

Ashok
Hey Ashok,

No idea about about the life of an MP5 barrel but its presumably pretty long.

If you were referring to the MP5SD3 barrel, its life would be more or less the same with a standard barrel. The service life issue is with the silencer assembly that surrounds and extends beyond the ported barrel.

regards,
cc

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Um...quite likely the briefcase version is being used by the SPG and not NSG. I may be well mistaken.

Its a known fact that NSG uses up a lot of ammo in training.

I would like to believe, the NSG really did well in this op. Ofcourse their first op was a brilliant success where everything went right.

FF
cottage cheese";p="60438 wrote:
fantumfan2003";p="60396 wrote:The sniper version of the Swiss SIG SG551 was carried by NSG in Mumbai. Photos of same appeared in ToI and local newspapers. The SIGs are used for quite some time.

Hi FF,

I didn't know the SG 551 has been there for some time. Thanks for that one.

I do remember some insiders telling me there were a handful of M16's but they seemingly were those of an evaluation batch.

The MP5SD3's are certainly the older S-E-F types. I haven't seen SD5's. Most of these seem really old and used- I wonder if they avail of after sales technical support- you know...for the sliencers-They have a relatively shortish life and certainly its a long time since they were procured in the late 80's.

Are you sure the NSG uses the briefcase MP5K's? Whatever for? Seen them only with the SPG...tried one back many years back.

regards,
cc

sdiversp
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sdiversp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:35 am

Cottage Cheese, nice post. I am surprised state/local police are carrying Glocks in India. They are inherently priced high for their technology/import status. Few PD's (police departments) in the US carry Glocks, but both my local PD and Sheriff's department carry SIGs (SIG is manufactured under license now in US). Imports cost a lot and standard issueing a number of Glocks is expensive for parts/etc. I can see the Sig SWaT rifle and H&K MP5 being a standard issue for NSG/Marcos teams (you only need a few sniper rifles per team and these teams are better funded). Are there any specific (state) PD's carrying Glocks?