what weapons do the police and other govt orgs have

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: what wepaons do the police and other govt orgs have

Post by msandhu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:43 am

Hi sdiversp,
If you are talking about PD's in US, i don't agree with you. Glock is still the favorite with PD's and other LEO's in US for their simplicity, ease of use and ruggedness. As far as cost is concerned, Glocks are in the range of $500-600 while LEO's get a discount of around $100 on them. Sigs are great guns too but they are more expensive that Glocks. Sigs usually start around $800+.
In India , Indian army and some PD's imported glocks. I think on bulk imports they do get good price.
Cheers
Mandeep

For Advertising mail webmaster
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:09 am

Mumbai Police dept, got some 300 Glocks, G17 9mm, and they said that they were not upto the mark :shock:
This news made its rounds in the City newspapers.

Very likely even the Glocks could not digest the horrible 9mm ammo from IOF. Normally Glocks can feed on practically all ammo.

Dont know what happened to those Glocks with Mumbai PD, in any case they have an excess of Browning P35 copies by IOF.

I did notice something very uncomfortable and distrubing with the weapons carried by the Mumbai PD. Many of the weapons have rust on them. The worst I have seen is a red brown coloured 9mm Sterling with a cop posted outside a foreign embassy. Thats bad, real bad.

M.

sdiversp";p="63707 wrote:Cottage Cheese, nice post. I am surprised state/local police are carrying Glocks in India. They are inherently priced high for their technology/import status. Few PD's (police departments) in the US carry Glocks, but both my local PD and Sheriff's department carry SIGs (SIG is manufactured under license now in US). Imports cost a lot and standard issueing a number of Glocks is expensive for parts/etc. I can see the Sig SWaT rifle and H&K MP5 being a standard issue for NSG/Marcos teams (you only need a few sniper rifles per team and these teams are better funded). Are there any specific (state) PD's carrying Glocks?

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:20 pm

sdiversp";p="63707 wrote:Cottage Cheese, nice post. I am surprised state/local police are carrying Glocks in India. They are inherently priced high for their technology/import status. Few PD's (police departments) in the US carry Glocks, but both my local PD and Sheriff's department carry SIGs (SIG is manufactured under license now in US). Imports cost a lot and standard issueing a number of Glocks is expensive for parts/etc. I can see the Sig SWaT rifle and H&K MP5 being a standard issue for NSG/Marcos teams (you only need a few sniper rifles per team and these teams are better funded). Are there any specific (state) PD's carrying Glocks?
Hi sdiversp -

One can hardly say (If you've seen the list on my earlier posts) there's any kind of standardization in the Indian Police forces... :)

While several state and central police forces have procured significant batches of Glocks - they are by no means standard issue. Very strictly speaking, the standard institutional sidearm remains the FN Browning GP35 and its illegitimate offspring the IOF Pistol 1A.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Guys,You've got to know this. Mumbai police fired more then 68 shots at V.T. station supposedly at the terrorists and none drew blood. The secret inquiry is on to know why? Well, I know why.... because when ever they are made to fire certain mandatory shots at the target which is very infrequent, they close their eyes and bang away. It's treated as more of a punishment then an exercise. That' exactly what they did since they had volunteerily programmed themselves so. To top it, the Mumbai Police dont have enough ammo for a mag full, hence most AKs on duty have 10 rounds max . Same with SLRs. The 9mm ammo don't feed easy even in Glocks as Fantumfan says rightly so. My gsmith has polished many a Glock chambers for active field officers. I wonder how these Glocks will behave when fed with good imported ammo now. They'd probably spit out 10mm shells. I am sure this is the case with the rest of the states as well. The state has decided to select policemen for special commando units within the Mumbai police, BUT the young constables are reluctant to join because each has paid over two Lacs to get enlisted and there is no way they can recover that soon enough if they went for this.
Mera Bharat Mahan!!!!
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:30 am

Polishing a G17 chamber to acomodate Indian 9mm rounds ? OMG ....

The local newspapers carried a story of a 24 year old brave cop (ex-army) who took on the terrorists at VT with another cops jammed .303 LE rifle, he first cleared the jam and then shot and killed one terrorist (with possibly only two remaining rounds) but was himself killed by another terrorist. That story changed my view of Mumbai cops, not all of them are bad.

This brave soul took on two or three terrorists each armed with full auto AKs with at least 300 rounds, with a WWII vintage, poorly maintained .303 LE rifle with only three rounds. I guess, once a soldier always a soldier.

Talking of commandos, I have seen female commandos at Railway stations in Mumbai, they were unarmed !!!, wearing grey coveralls with "Commando" printed on the backside of the coveralls. Worst, they were so frail looking, even my better half can floor two of them at a time in a fight. I guess the real bad guys would laugh their guts out if they looked at these "commandos"

This is all real bad.

M.

marksman";p="63784 wrote:Guys,You've got to know this. Mumbai police fired more then 68 shots at V.T. station supposedly at the terrorists and none drew blood. The secret inquiry is on to know why? Well, I know why.... because when ever they are made to fire certain mandatory shots at the target which is very infrequent, they close their eyes and bang away. It's treated as more of a punishment then an exercise. That' exactly what they did since they had volunteerily programmed themselves so. To top it, the Mumbai Police dont have enough ammo for a mag full, hence most AKs on duty have 10 rounds max . Same with SLRs. The 9mm ammo don't feed easy even in Glocks as Fantumfan says rightly so. My gsmith has polished many a Glock chambers for active field officers. I wonder how these Glocks will behave when fed with good imported ammo now. They'd probably spit out 10mm shells. I am sure this is the case with the rest of the states as well. The state has decided to select policemen for special commando units within the Mumbai police, BUT the young constables are reluctant to join because each has paid over two Lacs to get enlisted and there is no way they can recover that soon enough if they went for this.
Mera Bharat Mahan!!!!
Marksman

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm

How in the world do you know all this cottage cheese?
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:02 pm

fantumfan2003";p="63846 wrote:The local newspapers carried a story of a 24 year old brave cop (ex-army) who took on the terrorists at VT with another cops jammed .303 LE rifle, he first cleared the jam and then shot and killed one terrorist (with possibly only two remaining rounds) but was himself killed by another terrorist. That story changed my view of Mumbai cops, not all of them are bad.

This brave soul took on two or three terrorists each armed with full auto AKs with at least 300 rounds, with a WWII vintage, poorly maintained .303 LE rifle with only three rounds. I guess, once a soldier always a soldier.
No terrorist was killed at VT and there were only two of them.
Last edited by penpusher on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:41 pm

amk";p="63858 wrote:How in the world do you know all this cottage cheese?
Espionage :)
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 pm

IIRC Navi had recounted a rather poor personal experience when shooting Glocks with IOF ammo, lots of jams and failures to feed.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm

fantumfan2003";p="63846 wrote:"]
Polishing a G17 chamber to acomodate Indian 9mm rounds ? OMG ....

The local newspapers carried a story of a 24 year old brave cop (ex-army) who took on the terrorists at VT with another cops jammed .303 LE rifle, he first cleared the jam and then shot and killed one terrorist (with possibly only two remaining rounds) but was himself killed by another terrorist. That story changed my view of Mumbai cops, not all of them are bad.

Talking of commandos, I have seen female commandos at Railway stations in Mumbai, they were unarmed !!!, wearing grey coveralls with "Commando" printed on the backside of the coveralls. Worst, they were so frail looking, even my better half can floor two of them at a time in a fight. I guess the real bad guys would laugh their guts out if they looked at these "commandos"

This is all real bad.

M.

marksman";p="63784 wrote:Guys,You've got to know this. Mumbai police fired more then 68 shots at V.T. station supposedly at the terrorists and none drew blood. The secret inquiry is on to know why? Well, I know why.... because when ever they are made to fire certain mandatory shots at the target which is very infrequent, they close their eyes and bang away. It's treated as more of a punishment then an exercise. That' exactly what they did since they had volunteerily programmed themselves so. To top it, the Mumbai Police dont have enough ammo for a mag full, hence most AKs on duty have 10 rounds max . Same with SLRs. The 9mm ammo don't feed easy even in Glocks as Fantumfan says rightly so. My gsmith has polished many a Glock chambers for active field officers. I wonder how these Glocks will behave when fed with good imported ammo now. They'd probably spit out 10mm shells. I am sure this is the case with the rest of the states as well. The state has decided to select policemen for special commando units within the Mumbai police, BUT the young constables are reluctant to join because each has paid over two Lacs to get enlisted and there is no way they can recover that soon enough if they went for this.
Mera Bharat Mahan!!!!
Marksman

Those women are prolly from a security agency. Real commando's don't wear overalls with commando written on the back.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm

IIRC Navi had recounted a rather poor personal experience when shooting Glocks with IOF ammo, lots of jams and failures to feed.
I have fired a few hundred rounds of KF ammo on the Glock and have never faced a jam or malfunction of any kind. I have compared them with some (much treasured) rounds of Sellier & Belliot and have not found any discernable difference in terms of felt recoil or loading/firing/ejection etc. But of course I was using a G-19 model.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:35 am

Dev,

Its true the Mumbai police do. You find the male commandos on motorcycles, the pillion rider carries a 9mm Sterling and the rider a pistol mostly P35 copy. You see them in larger nos. especially when the politicians decide to be a PITA a.k.a VIP movement

M.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 am

Hmmm...

Then why did they not like the Glocks ? I wonder.

M.
jonahpach";p="63889 wrote:
I have fired a few hundred rounds of KF ammo on the Glock and have never faced a jam or malfunction of any kind. I have compared them with some (much treasured) rounds of Sellier & Belliot and have not found any discernable difference in terms of felt recoil or loading/firing/ejection etc. But of course I was using a G-19 model.

Jonah

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:39 am

A photograph appeared in the same newspaper saying so.
penpusher";p="63860 wrote:
fantumfan2003";p="63846 wrote:The local newspapers carried a story of a 24 year old brave cop (ex-army) who took on the terrorists at VT with another cops jammed .303 LE rifle, he first cleared the jam and then shot and killed one terrorist (with possibly only two remaining rounds) but was himself killed by another terrorist. That story changed my view of Mumbai cops, not all of them are bad.

No terrorist was killed at VT and there were only two of them.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:59 am

fantumfan2003";p="63913 wrote: A photograph appeared in the same newspaper saying so.
Do you believe everything that gets printed?