Need help in choosing a pistol.

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Frankenstein
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Need help in choosing a pistol.

Post by Frankenstein » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Hello folks ,i am in the market for a pistol and i am interested in the IOF ashani .32 pistol. I have seen a couple of them going for about 1.75k here in hyderabad.

They are all around 2004 make.I am not able to find the later rectified 2008 models in the market though.
Finally i have to procure a pistol in 10 days time .My budget is 2 lakhs and any brand will do . I would like your suggestions on the brand,price and where to buy in hyderabad etc .

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Need help in choosing a pistol.

Post by dev » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Finding a good pistol will take time. I wish you had ordered the Ashani directly from the factory. Putting a ten day time limit might just make you pay a lot for a so so pistol. It is a tough task and you should take more time over it.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Another point to look at .. is choosing the gun that really fits you.
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Frankenstein wrote:They are all around 2004 make.I am not able to find the later rectified 2008 models in the market though.
There is no difference between pistols made in 2004 and 2009 or for that matter of any other year/s.

What you should check though is

1.There is no pitting or bulges in the barrel

2.The gap between the barrel visible through the ejection port and the slide should be minimal

3.Cock the pistol(ensure that the chamber is empty) and then check the slide to the frame fit.Basically buy the one whose slide rattles the least.

4. After the pistol is cocked lightly hold the slide and check how much it moves back and forth.That tells you about how well the barrel lugs are fitted to the corresponding grooves in the frame.The movement should be minimal.

5.Fire a couple of rounds(at least a dozen) to check for positive feeding, firing pin strike and ejection.

6.Check the empties.There should be no bulges or bright spots that would indicate an improperly cut chamber(not uncommon).The firing pin should strike the percussion cap in the center or close to the center.

7.Check the magazine for any cracks around the lips.

Frankenstein
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Frankenstein » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanking you winnie for your valuable suggestions on how to check a pistol.

Guys i have almost zeroed in on a .22 CZ pistol .How good is cz for 2.5L ,please advice .

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Frank my brother CZ is good pistol... but i would stay away from a .22 if the requirement is self defense. Though a well placed round is what matters but it requires a lot of practice... however the merits of .22 round is that its cheap and hence more shooting= more fun better proficiency and practice with the weapon. what u could do is buy an iof.22 revolver to get over the 10 days remaining on your purchase period problem(i am assuming that is why u have to buy something in 10 days) it costs around 50 to 60 k will be able to sell it back for equal if not higher amount and get a new weapon as and when u come across one.
You could however get a decent Llama .38acp which is a NPB for 3-3.5. id suggest buy a .22 to keep ur license occupied and solve the purchase period problem.Later when you are at ease / ur finances are planned better u could go for the ashani from factory or any other imported weapon.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:09 pm

380 ACP Pistol is the best you can buy as far as stopping power concept under INDIAN law . I think you can get a 380 acp in your price range of 2.5 lac .Try for Webley&Scott .380 or .32 pistol.
Anyway .22lr pistol is not bad for some fun but if self defence is prime concern then there is problem as not only .22 is weak but rimfire in pistol is not hundred percent reliable.
Cheers ,
James..

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:20 am

CZ depends which model and how old do check its innards -- best bang for the buck IOF Ashani...

Good Luck

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 am

captrakshitsharma wrote: You could however get a decent Llama .38acp which is a NPB for 3-3.5.
:shock:
A genuine Llama .380 for 3-3.5L ? Where ?
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Frankenstein
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Frankenstein » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Thank you captain for shedding light .So basically .22 is useless ????.

I saw a smith .357 revolver ,but its too big to carry and even for that matter a .32 pistol cannot be carried in your jeans pocket comfortable like my .22 conceal pistol.So if i would have got the .32 i would have surely been reluctant to carry it with me because of the size,where as the .22 will always be with me..

What if atleast 4 rounds hit the target ,wont it make any difference??

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Frank,ur thought that 22 is useless,let me try and guide you a little,i owned,{now its on my wife's Licence} a HI-Standard 22 Pistol for the last 10 years.The 22 specially the Hi-Standard was the favorite weapon of the Mafia in the US,see Godfather when Mickey Corelene guns down a Police Captain,he is again using the 22,Gary Powers the American Black Bird Pilot {Spy Plane} who was shot down in USSR always carried a 22.
If you can get a 22 in the CZ get it,try and pick up Winchester Power Point or Super X ammo.
The 32 is an under powered round and is only popular in India,380 is an imported cartridge and you gonna pay atleast Rs 150/- a pop. Imported 22 ammo is gonna cost is Rs 35 a pop. :cheers:
PS;The Mafia didnt use 22 for defensive jobs they did for offensive jobs

Frankenstein
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Frankenstein » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Thankyou Amit for reassuring my belief in the .22. Well i didnt think its useless,but people here gave a picture like its an airgun in the above posts which got me worried since i have just bought the CZ.22 pistol. The ammunition he is quoting 75rs a pop ,dont know which brand ,shall check and get back tomorrow.

Is it allowed to post a picture of my gun here ???
My dad owns a winchester repeating arms 8shot pumploading gun and a .32 IOF revolver. The revolver cannot be disguised and defenitely cant be carried around like a mobile phone .So at home there is always the 8shot to the rescue,my pistol is only when im out ,and if it can stop the target when shot from about 30feet ,i will be happy.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:43 am

Dear Frank,
ur .22 cz is great. Congrats have fun but empty more than a couple of rounds in a life threatening situation and please read my opinion and suggestions further on and please have a strategy and get good practice...... shoot as much as u can...

Dear Amit...
1.No one ever said that ..22 is useless..infact i had earlier said that a well placed shot is what matters the most and so does your proficiency with your weapon.
2. Yes the .32 is an underpowered round (infact a .38 is considered the minimum man stopping power in usa) so imagine how underpowered would a .22 be.
3. You need to check prices of .32 unless u talking of KF .32 prices imported magnatec or sellier a bellot .32 long cost more than 150 a pop and KF also manufactures .38 ammo.Yes the .22 is cheaper and means more shooting and that means more fun.
4. Your high standard and the point of discussion the effectiveness of .22 is concerned yes they are effective but not a man stopper . Yes kennedy died of .22 round but it was shot from a rifle and well placed. The .22 will kill (some time the blood loss from .22 wounds is more as their wounds are harder to locate and close) but not stop a man attacking you with intent to kill.. stab or cause u great bodily harm... neither may the .32 long but it sure has a bigger projectile and more powder to propel it hence more power... I would rather have a .38 or .357 0r .45 cal but i cant cuz its PB so settle for the biggest of the two.We will get to what is a man stopper and explain it ahead.
5. Please don't go by movies to make an educated choice and learn about ammo and weapons.... hollywood is really bad about all things related to guns... they rotate and swing open revolver cylinders with flick of a wrist... rambo and commando shoot is crazy stances.. scarface is crazier.. and vito and his son mike are screen mafiosos so dont think if a .22 snubby was shown in the movie it means it is the weapon of choice to go offensive.. and anyways we here a defensive not offensive.. even a knife can be deadlier and more offensive if used in that manner than a 9 mm or .357handgun.
6.Now the issue of a man stopper==== It does not mean that it is a round that kills at the instant it hits,that would be ideal but It is also something that makes him stop in his tracks due to impact and feeling of hurt and trauma and pain and is also psychological. Thats the reason why people use hollow points now .It may not kill u as well as eventually a FMJ but will surely have a greater impact and trauma.The idea may not always be to kill but to neutralize the threat and stop him considering the legal implications of the death of an attacker you shot at but to stop him from killing and hurting you giving him a solid impact and pain trauma and psychological trauma.In comparison to .22 A 3.2 will be obviously be better suited to the task.

this is my opinion regards n thx...
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:32 am

Guys i have almost zeroed in on a .22 CZ pistol .How good is cz for 2.5L ,please advice .
I saw a smith .357 revolver ,but its too big to carry and even for that matter a .32 pistol cannot be carried in your jeans pocket comfortable like my .22 conceal pistol
Whoa! The only .22 LR CZ (CZUB) pistol that I am aware of is the Kadet. The Kadet is a full size pistol. You aren't going to pocket carry that.

image from the CZ-USA website

Are you sure that what they sold you is a genuine CZ product?
Do you have a model number, photos, any other info?

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 am

Frankenstein wrote: i have just bought the CZ.22 pistol. Is it allowed to post a picture of my gun here ???
Please feel free to post the pics of your handgun here , in fact do it ASAP . :D

By the way the price of ammo (75 a pop) is far too expensive .

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !