IOF PISTOL AUTO 9mm 1A

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:52 am

mundaire";p="27046 wrote:Since the IOFB made 9mm is basically a copy of the Browning Hi-power (Inglis)... I would suggest you go to www.brownells.com or some place similar and order micrometer adjustable rear and matching front sights... If you are really serious about using the pistol for any paper target shooting, that is...

I am not really sure how much accuracy can be squeezed out of this particular gun, but I am sure it can certainly be made to shoot more accurately than in factory standard form - by replacing certain parts, like the barrel, locking lug, etc. with imported ones... Not sure if you will be able to import those parts though...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Problem with customizing arises when you are toying with a Government firearm. Will unit/organization regulations allow tinkering with Govt. inventory pieces? If modifying and customizing is allowed with service issue arms... well... by all means one should go ahead and order and fit the relevant parts.

I'm still assuming MM is talking about a service issue gun...and not a personal piece.
Last edited by cottage cheese on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:32 pm

HI! Mismisra , assuming u r from the army then test fire all the pistols in ur units armory and pick up the best out of the worse! as far as setting the front drift sight dont use a drift punch but take a small size C-clamp from any good hardware store and use it with a piece of suitable sized metal to gently and accuratly drift the front sights for windage As far as elev. is concened on fixed sights u have no other choice other than to file off the top of the rear sight or the front sight as the case requires ;) Hope ur unit armorer can do this. Als check the front barrel bushing as this is critical in ensuring that the barrel lines up accuratley in relation to the slide and the sights as these are mounted on the slide. Also disassembling the trigger to give the sear a oilstone tratment will also help. The better way out is to do what the police do and use a double action revolver - chk if some are lying about cuz they will most likely be of a good imported make and will do the job nicely- cops who practice with ruger /colt revolvers on our range have won several police duty meets with them.
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mismisra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:28 pm

thanks guys,i am working on this ,NO I am not an army man pl treat me like a gun geek like any one of you .I am willing to share the prohibited bore expirience with you . It will always be pleasure .ps pl see the avtar .TRY writing to them .MOre in the evening
:twisted: electron

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:01 pm

Are you from IOF ? The best fighting force on earth ? WHich Squadron ?

mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mismisra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:08 pm

IOF and Shahid Sqn ! i think you got it wrong Pl elaborate .Prob you mean IAF ? In any case cant tell you .

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:58 pm

shutzen";p="27056 wrote:Als check the front barrel bushing as this is critical in ensuring that the barrel lines up accuratley in relation to the slide and the sights as these are mounted on the slide. Also disassembling the trigger to give the sear a oilstone tratment will also help. The better way out is to do what the police do and use a double action revolver - chk if some are lying about cuz they will most likely be of a good imported make and will do the job nicely- cops who practice with ruger /colt revolvers on our range have won several police duty meets with them.
Shutzen,

The Browning HP, thus the IOF 9mm doesn't have a barrel bushing in the 1911 sense. The "bushing" is integral to the slide in the case of the HP design, permanently fixed, and is generally not user serviceable. Perhaps a good gunsmith may be able to do something about it, a DIY approach will usually end up in a botch up.

MM,
As regards the trigger, shutzens suggestion is useful. The irony is that, the Browning HP design being legendary as it is, suffers from one weak point- A crappy trigger linkage design. As such, accomplished pistoleros will tell you "if you find an HP with a good trigger, hang on to it...!" same with a Luger. Not such a healthy thing to have in competitive shooting. As far as the fine tuning of the trigger goes, not much to do in the Indian context, other than ensuring good fitting zero-play parts, and of course carefully stoned bearing surfaces. Make sure the pivoting transfer bar inside the slide is in perfect condition also too trigger's spring loaded lever that actuates the transfer bar. Its a pretty flimsy part, prone damage and wear.

Rdgs
CC

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Yes Indian Air Force, the best fighting force on earth.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Zeroing in a 9mm IOF pistol

Post by jonahpach » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:29 pm

Hello Mismisra

Refer to my post :
http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 77&start=0
On this occation I had the opportunity to I try out a 9mm OFB belonging to a PSO of our minister.
Regarding the OFB 9mm copy of the browning, Last year (or was it the year before??) I had the opportunity to field test a brand new "out of the box, opened right infront of me" batch of 6 OFB 9mm's received by the Mizoram Armed Police (MAP) out of which 2 malfunctioned outright after the first round. Moreover 4 out of 6 i.e. = 66% had problems with their foresight which were loose and on the verge of falling off!! If this is the same kind of weapon that is being issued to our fighting force in the field, the OFB should be brought to book!!
Best of luck with your trials and tribulations with the OFB 9mm!

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:39 pm

jonahpach";p="27218 wrote:Hello Mismisra

Refer to my post :
http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 77&start=0
On this occation I had the opportunity to I try out a 9mm OFB belonging to a PSO of our minister.
Regarding the OFB 9mm copy of the browning, Last year (or was it the year before??) I had the opportunity to field test a brand new "out of the box, opened right infront of me" batch of 6 OFB 9mm's received by the Mizoram Armed Police (MAP) out of which 2 malfunctioned outright after the first round. Moreover 4 out of 6 i.e. = 66% had problems with their foresight which were loose and on the verge of falling off!! If this is the same kind of weapon that is being issued to our fighting force in the field, the OFB should be brought to book!!
Best of luck with your trials and tribulations with the OFB 9mm!

Jonah
Jonah's got some valid points.

I don't know if police receives Pistol batches 'specially made' to poorer standards than military ones, but the bottom line is the guns are absolute abominations. My association is with another NE state police force... the scene is the same here. I've seen a number of cops actually carry IOF 9mms with missing foresights!! I'll post a few pics....I don't remember which backup CD I'd stored them in. Any cop with the older Belgian FN GP35, will hang on to it tooth and nail.

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:07 pm

The IOF 9mm has fixed sights and connot be zeroed

Rudra

mismisra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mismisra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:53 pm

Gentlemen Pl dont miss the point .The 9mm has six adjustable foresights which cater for elevation errors.The manual says and i quote one change of sight shifts the line of sight by 12.5mm at a firing range of 9m which is the ZEROING range. One is expected to get 5rds in a tgt 50mX 50mm hus ..I agree the quality is poor but it is one of us who excepted the gun. Incidently no armourer knows this .It is a weapon one learns to respect for its sheer perseverence to hang in there. DO SOMETH ABOUT THIS WE HAVE A STRONG FORUM.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Hello Mismisra
You could be right and the manual may have mentioned such a mechanism but the OFB does not supply extra foresight spares as extra acessories to the gun. And it would most probably have to be fabricated and installed by the interested party himself.

As the picture below clearly shows, the front and rear sights can be removed from their notches and may allow for minimal adjustments in windage and elevation by fitting smaller/bigger foresights and shifting the rear sights left or right.

The OFB 9mm..

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:08 am

Is that the same gun?

If it is, you can adjust windage by drifting the front sight left and right.

If the gun is shooting low, remove material from the top of the front sight.

If the gun shoots high, add some material to the front sight. As simple as a blob of epoxy puty then file down, or build it up with solder, or a nice looking technique is to solder a tiny (3/32 or so) piece of brass rod and then file that down, you can get a nice gold circle.

Brownells I think has a sight calculator, you can input the range and how far you are off, and the distance between sights and it will suggest how much to move it. Not that you can really use it, but it will give you an idea how much to add or take off.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

PISTOL AUTO 9 mm 1A

Post by Rottmeister » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:33 pm

IFG Brethren, I find this statement confusing; can anyone cast some light?
A Personal and special service weapon capable of semi-automatic fire. It is a recoil operated, magazine fed, self-loading pistol in which the breech is positively locked at the moment of firing. It is not fully automatic. The trigger has to be pressed and released for each shot. When all the cartridges have been fired and the magazine is empty, the mechanism is held in the open position by the action of the slide.

My question is: If IOF states it's Personal then why don't civilians gain an access to it?
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.

yash3_great

Re: PISTOL AUTO 9 mm 1A

Post by yash3_great » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:43 pm

A personal weapon is any weapon which is issued, carried and employed by a single person like a pistol or rifle. These are different from larger weapons like a Mortar gun or a field gun which is issued to a unit and operated by more then one person.

Though this pistol being a personal service weapon, is a PB, hence not issued to civilians in general.