IOF PISTOL AUTO 9mm 1A

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IOF PISTOL AUTO 9mm 1A

Post by Sakobav » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 am

Indiaone nice pictures and great island too..post some more pictures of this scenic place..

Adding to xl comments even I have the same issue small hands but Beretta 92 has that complaint its pretty big but browning HIpower has much better feel and points well. I had read somewhere that Indian Navy patrols waters around this island has some more assets there

Best

For Advertising mail webmaster
indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 pm

xI & ngrewal,

Thanks for your comments.The video is extremely useful. I did realise that my way of holding the gun on one occasion was not correct.While trying out the T-77 ( 9mm ) I corrected myself. In fact I found it much easy to handle and the grip was excellent. I am sending the links below. Hope you will enjoy the pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d ... feat=email

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R ... feat=email

In this case also the hit rate was excellent >The gun was light and easy to aim .

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 pm

indiaone wrote:While trying out the T-77 ( 9mm )
Does not look like it is a 9mm. The more you shoot the better you are going to get at everything including gun safety,IF you do not shoot yourself first,that is. I am surprised no one corrected you while you were shooting with your hand so perilously close to the muzzle.

I have found that firearms safety improves significantly once people stop laughing while they are holding a gun. Looking at the camera with you finger on the trigger of an apparently loaded pistol pointed in another direction, is perhaps not a shinning example of safe gun handling.Also get some protection for your ears.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 pm

indiaone, its great that you are getting a chance to try out all these different handguns, and in such an idyllic setting. Thanks for posting those photos.
It looks like 4 GR is one of the units stationed in the Seychelles? Do Indian army units rotate through or are some units stationed permanently there?

Winnie, That looks like a Makarov style pistol. If that is what it is, it is a 9mm but it is 9 X 18 instead of 9 x19.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Dear friend,
Thanks for your very kind advice. In the picture it looks dangerously close, but in reality it was not that close. I had ensured that my hand is away from the moving components as also the muzzle.The smiling face represents the calm surroundings of this island. All my companion officers were behind me , but all the same I will be more serious in the next session.Regarding the T-77 I am holding , it indeed looked too small for a 9 mm. At first, I thought it is .32 version but was told by our ordinance expert that it is the latest version of the T-77, if I remember correctly he said it is called T-77B. These have been procured recently from PRC by this country.

Ear plugs are not available here but the firing is done in open field along the coast of the Indian Ocean, so the effect of noise it not much.Under rifles will soon post some pictures of INSAS and AK-47.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:53 am

I was wrong about it being a Makarov type in 9X18 (though it does kinda look like it).

Here is what I found on the T77:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/ch/type-77-e.html

and the T77B:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/ch/type-77b-e.html
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shooterz
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shooterz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 am

Hello folks,

Just my 2 cents woth on the m77 pictured. First off, nice shooting! You are as good defensively as you need to be judging from your grouping. I agree with the other gentleman, that gun pictured looks like a Makarov. I compared the photos from the link to either of the models shown...the safety is different on the gun you are holding. I would be so bold as to say either a Bulgarian or maybe Norinco. I only bring it up, because in my experience with Makarov pistols, which is nearing 2000 rounds downrange. They are not precise shooters. I would put the blame on ammo and not the gun. 9x18 is short and fat compared to 9 luger. Sectional density matters on bullets. If you are shooting a Makarov, your grouping is even better than.

Fine shooting sir, Troy :cpix:

gahourdethwal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gahourdethwal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:52 pm

this looks like the exact replica of browning high power! Its a shocker that civilians have no access to 9mm in India (at least in Punjab if i'm correct). Though if it is for police and other law enforcement agencies, I think a Glock 9mm would be a much better firearms in terms of quality, reliability and firepower! (glock 17 holds 15-17 rounds) or even a beretta 92fs! But all in all 9mm is a very weak round when it comes to stopping bad guys with big guns! .40 or .45 would be a much better alternative!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:01 pm

But all in all 9mm is a very weak round when it comes to stopping bad guys with big guns! .40 or .45 would be a much better alternative!
I would have to totally disagree with you there. The 9mm Luger is not a "very weak round" for self defense purposes. With today's self defense ammunition, the lines between 9mm and some of the larger calibers are somewhat blurred. It also has the added advantage of having less recoil and therefore is more controllable when shooting a rapid string, especially when compared to some of the larger calibers.
I'm not sure what you mean by "big guns" but if you mean large caliber pistols, what would it matter what they have if you hit them first (at pistol ranges)? If they hit you first, it doesn't really matter what they have. If one really needed something with an excess of muzzle energy, one would carry a centerfire rifle, not a pistol.

I found a poster who has a used one of the IOF 9mm's and he was impressed by the accuracy. Maybe the drunk monkey with Parkinsons was on vacation the day that one was made.
http://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.p ... did=138123

gahourdethwal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gahourdethwal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:41 pm

With every small time gangster now having access to a plethora of firearms, Indian police probably need something better don't they?
Last edited by gahourdethwal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 am

Take a look at this image below. It shows that there is very little real difference in both temporary cavity and penetration with most of the popular self defense calibers in use today (with a properly designed bullet). There is no magic bullet or caliber. Placement is the key.
Properly designed hollow-point ammunition - regardless of caliber - all perform very close to each other when you take expanded diameter and penetration depth into account

expanded JHP bullets after firing into ballistic gel

images and quote from here

drprajyoth
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by drprajyoth » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 am

i have a doubt. If i am able to import FN 5.7 pistol will it be legal because it is a 5.7mm caliber gun.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:36 am

drprajyoth wrote:i have a doubt. If i am able to import FN 5.7 pistol will it be legal because it is a 5.7mm caliber gun.
Strictly speaking, it would be NPB. But where will you get the ammo from? 50 shots is all you will ever be allowed to import on T.R.

...dead investment.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

drprajyoth
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by drprajyoth » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:43 pm

ok. thank you

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Happened to try a IOF Hi-Po few days back and here are some observations.

1. Fit and finish is not of very good standards. The pistol was finished in what appeared to be a black paint to me and it was chipping off in some places.

2. The ergonomics of the pistol are very good. I have somewhat large hands and the pistol fit like a glove. The balance of the pistol is also very neutral and it is not nose heavy. I found it to be a natural pointer. The charger handle, magazine release were all well located.

3. Trigger feel was not very good and the pistol left me wanting in this area. It was almost as if the trigger resisted the shooter. After the initial slack there was a stiff but spongy resistance and it was difficult to know exactly at what point will the gun fire. Perhaps this will not be so apparent in real self defense situations but it was woefully apparent when I was consciously looking over the pistol.

4. The pistol has a nagging magazine disconnect. This means you can not un-cock the pistol without there being a magazine in the pistol. In fact removing the magazine locks up almost all functions of the firearm and one needs to reinsert it to be able to do anything. This could be liked by some folks but I found it a bit nagging every time to be reminded by the pistol to shove the magazine back in.

5. The pistol is surprisingly accurate and recoil is mild. In fact it is quiet liked by present day cops to whom it is increasingly being issued in large numbers. It seems gone are the days when the Law used to always carry Revolvers. The last major revolver order placed by Indian Government when to Ruger sometime in mid 80s and since then IOF has been trying to meet the Indian quartermasters requirements. Unlike their Daddys, present gen Singhams like their 9mm's.