Broken Erma

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Broken Erma

Post by The Doc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:04 pm

marksman wrote:This enables them to use the serial number on the unlicensed/illegal fire arm in order to legitimize it which are eventually sold at a very high premium.. I hope that wouldn't happen in this case.
jpinakin88 wrote: actually we sold it to one dealer but on one condition is that he will not going to weld it he can sale only the parts. as he is friend of dad so there is no problem at all for again will get accident...
What about the serial number ? It can be easily misused as marksman pointed out .

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:21 pm

WOW, seeing this for first, cant imagine that happening. Its a nightmare.

Good that no one got injured.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm

sa_ali wrote:WOW, seeing this for first, cant imagine that happening. Its a nightmare.
:OT: :sorry:
Just wondering , has anyone ever seen or heard about a cracked IOF .32 revolver frame ? I once saw a cracked hammer (a faint crack line across the width of the base of the hammer) of an old resold IOF .32 revolver.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

indigo_indo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by indigo_indo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:09 pm

God saved me ...

i was offered an erma revolver for 1.65 by my arms dealer previously when i had not booked the IOF .32 revolver . But some freind of mine advised me to not spend double the amount on the arm since i may not need to carry it always.

So i went for iof . 32 and i have received it in first of this month and i am happy to have a sturdy gun with possibility of availability of all the possible spares and repairable option .

Since imported guns i have seen with my maternal uncle , he has colt cobra and may be the current price would be more than 3 or 3.5 he never uses kf ammunition out of risk involved.

so i think i made a better choice going for iof gun as i have no worry of using local ammunition...

The demise of gun is a real shock for any of the person and when the gun is the passion it hurts more... i personally feel sorry for it.

rohit
If you want peace ; you have to be prepared for war.....

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:12 pm

striker wrote:broken revolver sold for 70k ...... What would the buyer do with the broken parts ? Do the transfer of arms in broken condition to another member allowed ? I thought broken arms have to be surrendered to poice armoury to get clearence to procure new one.
:agree:

The buyer of the broken pistol is probably going to gas weld the broken alloy frame, powder coat it and sell it as "Brand New" to an unknowing buyer for a nice fat profit.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Here is another one, this Erma also broke exactly at the same two spots . Very interesting indeed !! These two areas are probably the weakest areas of the frame exposed to the high pressures generated .

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8901

best,
Rp.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 pm

With misgivings about the end result being peddled off by dealers as brand new phoren made revolver at predictably unsavory premiums, I'd say that the whole frame can be rebuilt with steel (even mild-ish steel) by an appropriately equipped and skilled gunsmith. he'll mostly need the services of a vertical mill and of course end-mills in several sizes and corner rounding profiles. Most of the reconstruction cost will go into the end-mill bits.

The critical parts - barrel, cylinder, yoke,crane, lock work are presumably all intact so legally, its a plain repair job. Granted the resulting frame will probably not bear a 100% resemblance to the original but you still have a pretty usable gun.

The not-so-nice part is when it passe on as a brand-new-mint to an unsuspecting customer...for you only 8.5L saar.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:50 pm

CC,

I am glad you brought that up . Just last week a guy offered me a NIB (yet another, LOL) Erma and while I went into my rant about the breakage of frames and so on , this fellow without blinking an eyelid said, "Daktar Sahab, shoot this one as much as you like, once it breaks we can get an all steel frame made for you !! " That left me speechless . :oops:

best,
Rp.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 pm

The Doc wrote:CC,

I am glad you brought that up . Just last week a guy offered me a NIB (yet another, LOL) Erma and while I went into my rant about the breakage of frames and so on , this fellow without blinking an eyelid said, "Daktar Sahab, shoot this one as much as you like, once it breaks we can get an all steel frame made for you !! " That left me speechless . :oops:

best,
Rp.
O well... you could ask them to foot your medical fees when the time comes... :)
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 pm

I'd rather not, but see the cheek of the seller !! :evil:

best,
Rp.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 pm

The Doc wrote:I'd rather not, but see the cheek of the seller !! :evil:

best,
Rp.
..most are that way...incorrigible to say the least.

alfaromeo17
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by alfaromeo17 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I have my self seen a similar accident take place with a similar Erma guys it's nothing to do with ammo. The metal used is just not gud enough. Any of u guys have this make sell it off immediately.
I'M NOT GOD I'M JUST HIS SECOND IN COMMAND.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 pm

These guns have die-cast zinc alloy frames. Strong enough to pass proof with the low powered shells they are chambered for. However, with time this alloy ages and becomes (more) brittle. Definitely a "do not buy". Cheers.

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 pm

striker wrote:broken revolver sold for 70k ...... What would the buyer do with the broken parts ? Do the transfer of arms in broken condition to another member allowed ? I thought broken arms have to be surrendered to poice armoury to get clearence to procure new one.
It would be entered into the books as a revolver and then substituted for an contraband revolver and sold for a tidy sum. I have seen auctions of old obsolete weapons being bought by dealers only for sale by substitution with unlicenced arms.
sudhaiob

swamy_mvm
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by swamy_mvm » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Erma is very good and smooth tiger compares to IOF and other, I have with metal fully, with me there is no issue till date it's in awesome condition.